Panic buying at Shooting Supply in Westport, Ma. today.

Im thinking a lot of these guns and much of this ammo might find its way to the secondary market when this dies down.

In practice this doesn't happen because most of these people overpaid for their shit and they don't want to get hosed..... so it sits in a closet somewhere. I didn't see a flood of stuff come back in after obamascares 1/2/sandy hookmaster. It's probably still collecting dust in closets.

Depends on how much cash they wasted on toilet paper and other bs, etc.... but I agree, it could persist a lot longer. And shit eating moonbats that usually vote against guns will be buying too, at least in the states where they're not walled off from doing so. Maybe some of those idiots will finally "Get it" but I think that is being too optimistic.

It's an interesting point. In my experience with lefties, they still think that only special people need guns and of course they are "special" so it's ok. Peasants and black people ... no way, they can never trust them with guns, just ask Bloomtard.

There is also the militant wing of the left who firmly believes in exploiting current laws for eventual rise up of proletariat and march to communism. They are few, but they are armed and mentally dangerous.

A buddy just called me from Vegas. He was driving near one of the bigger gun stores out there. He said the line was out the door and around the building. There had to be 100-200 people in line.

JESUS!

Panic buying is never a good idea. Keeping up your stock is the best way to make sure you have enough guns and ammo. When you see guns or ammo on sale, that's the time to buy.

I don't disagree - but that word "enough" is very subjective. I had a friend of mine on speakerphone, he asked me if I was going to go buy another gun. My wife laughed - and said "I think we've got enough"; and followed that up with "enough to arm the neighborhood". Which is an exaggeration, but I've certainly got backups for my backups.

Ammo on the other hand - as I said, I've got a year's worth loaded, and 6 to 8 months more worth of components. My crystal ball's broken - I don't know where we'll be a year from now - so I ordered some more primers and powder. They don't go bad and eventually I'll use them.

I typically shoot at least 200 rounds of 9mm a week, sometimes 2 or 3 times that. So my definition of "enough" might not be the same as yours.

What's funnier, now that I think of it - I've probably got another year's worth of ammo stashed up in CT.

A buddy just called me from Vegas. He was driving near one of the bigger gun stores out there. He said the line was out the door and around the building. There had to be 100-200 people in line.

JESUS!
That's insane

I have 2-3 years worth of components for pistol. Tempted to buy more primers. Can never really have enough can you?🤷🏻‍♂️

I have a ton of supplies for 26 Nosler, 6.5CM and 9mm. I’ve hand loaded precision and hunting rounds for the 26 Nosler and 6.5 on a single stage loader. I bought a fancy Dillion progressive loader and tons of supplies but I’ve never loaded a single 9mm round. I find loading precision and hunting rounds so interesting. Every time I go to set up for 9mm I find the smallest distraction to get out of it. I’m glad I could crank out 9mm but it’s so boring to me I just keep ordering from TSUSA lol.

Normally this when I remind NES that the style guide is to refer to these actions as "SPITE BUYING", but in these exigent circumstances "PANIC BUYING" is more accurately descriptive of the ongoing situation.

Now excuse me while I sit at home working grumbling that Samson MFG in NH still hasn't shipped my A-Team stock to me despite calling for credit card info last week and saying it would ship on Friday. 😷

I wonder what the situation is at 4 Seasons? Break the line into groups of 24 or less?

In a different Coronavirus thread someone said they were in 4S this morning and it was a mad house. They had limited handgun ammo purchases to 5 boxes per person and had raised their prices on 9mm ammo from $8.99 a box to $14.99 a box. Hell, I bet they could start charging $20 a box and still sell out.

I'm glad I went to 4S a week and a half ago and stocked up on calibers I was low on then when their discounted prices were still in tact.

JESUS!

Don’t judge me but I wanted a bulletproof vest, I feel like it’s good to have especially living in the poorest city in America. I called a local store to ask about what they stocked and opinions. His response was, come on by if you want but you will have to wait in line with about 40 people buying the last few guns we have in the store. I passed and loaded a few extra mags. Although I really want a bulletproof vest still.

I gotta a couple smoking deals on new guns in the box FTF after the last scare. People coming their senses with a few shotguns and cheapish ARs stashed under the bed still in the box with all the trimmings- best way to buy them, cheap, new, no gov paperwork, and you can even file the warranty if you want usually.

Opened my last case of Federal Small Pistol Primers this morning. So I called Shooting Supply to see if that had any. I like to keep a full case ahead. Line was busy for 1/2 hour. Guess I know why.

In a different Coronavirus thread someone said they were in 4S this morning and it was a mad house. They had limited handgun ammo purchases to 5 boxes per person and had raised their prices on 9mm ammo from $8.99 a box to $14.99 a box. Hell, I bet they could start charging $20 a box and still sell out.

I'm glad I went to 4S a week and a half ago and stocked up on calibers I was low on then when their discounted prices were still in tact.

I was at Cabass Pro in Berlin last week during a lunch break. Ammo and components stock was decent considering the reduced footprint vs. a couple years ago. Powders were picked over a bit, didn't check primers. Picked up a few boxes of cheap PPU 300 BLK for 1) laziness and 2) more brass to reload later. Also picked up a couple boxes of Win 6.5 CM 140 grain Match just to benchmark my reloads, as that stuff shoots close to 1/2 MOA in my 6.5 AR. Not really stocking up, I'm aok for ammo and components.

Last edited:
I'd wager a bet that 80% of gun owners are "sundry" gun owners as you call them. They keep one box of ammo in the sock drawer till they get skeered then go buy a bunch.

If shit goes down how much ammo do you expect to use in a gunfight before you or the other person dies? I’m guessing one magazine on either side

If shit goes down how much ammo do you expect to use in a gunfight before you or the other person dies? I’m guessing one magazine on either side

I have about 300 rounds of 9mm defensive ammo, a couple of thousand rounds of steeltip .556 and maybe 50 rounds of 00 Buck.
Mags are pre-loaded and staged so that I have options, where options include supplying others in my immediate family regardless of where we are.

That being said, the vast majority of my ammo is for competition and fun. And I need LOTS of ammo for that.

Well in practical terms if you shoot 300 rounds a week (for fun) and you want to keep at it, how many weeks can you go until you run out in a bad supply situation? For me maybe I could go 8 months (changing calibers).

But in a shtf situation, a casual exchange of fire from a structure that goes on for a day could easily eat up 1000 rounds per rifle. Likely? No. But nice to know you are prepared to defend your home for a couple days if need be.

Well in practical terms if you shoot 300 rounds a week (for fun) and you want to keep at it, how many weeks can you go until you run out in a bad supply situation? For me maybe I could go 8 months (changing calibers).

But in a shtf situation, a casual exchange of fire from a structure that goes on for a day could easily eat up 1000 rounds per rifle. Likely? No. But nice to know you are prepared to defend your home for a couple days if need be.

I have enough - but I bought more so I can hit the range this summer on a regular basis without any care or worry

The clerk told him that he was the smartest customer in the store.
No offense intended, but the smartest customer is the one who stocked up months or years ago, when ammo was already cheap and readily available.

Local gun store in GA is out of all defensivr handgun ammo. All normal 9mm ammo. Every single full size or compact Glock in a real caliber, and all the cheapo ARs. They sold 60k rounds in 3days.
Amateurs.

If society really breaks down, you think it'll be a one-and-done?

Went to go buy some ammo for skeet this weekend since I’m home for the next couple months and need something to do and the line was 1+ hour long. People were just picking up random boxes and buying them, realizing halfway after standing in line that they weren’t even the right caliber.

The primers are the first things to get tough to find... Shit I remember during Obamascare 1 Rileys and other places were like 1 box per day per customer, etc. So I used to have a loop where I would hit at least a couple shops that sold them and come back with 2000 primers or so depending. I'd also do screwy shit like buy large and small pistol magnum primers because people were generally too stupid to realize they're not that much different, and with a little testing, can be safely used.

I've been using small rifle primers in 9mm for almost a couple decades. Can't tell the difference at all.

Until late last year, I didn't even have any small pistol primers on hand......just tons of SR.

Went to go buy some ammo for skeet this weekend since I’m home for the next couple months and need something to do and the line was 1+ hour long. People were just picking up random boxes and buying them, realizing halfway after standing in line that they weren’t even the right caliber.

Faaaaaking idiots!

People operating in a damned fog!!!!! These are the irrational types that are going to lose their minds when the going gets rough.

Back
Top Bottom