Painting sights

Has any one have any advice for painting sights? I want to find some paint to brighten up some old white 3 dot sights and would like to find the best paint to do it.

I was going to say get some white nail polish, or model airplane paint.

Last edited:
Maybe someone should bring this to one of the get-togethers. Heck, a whole bottle for 3 little dots? This could go a long way.

I did mine with a $3 paint marker from the hardeware store. It worked well for the front sight but the tip is not very good for making dots so I taped of the rear sight and made small squares instead. Cheap but effective.

For many years I used nail polish on my guns. These weren't recessed dots, usually a channel and blade.

The nail polish started to wear off very quickly with carry or cleaning.

Sure it was cheap, as I was using stuff that my Wife bought and later decided "I don't like that color any more", but Bright Sights is well worth the difference and one bottle will do a lot of guns. I have yet to have a need to do a re-application on any gun.

I do have a lot of guns that need to be done, but all for the first time.

Man, glad to know I'm not weird for painting my sights! Since I was thinking of getting some fiber-optic sights for my Glock I use in IDPA, I thought I'd try out the various colors by painting the stock Glock sights in day-glo orange and green. I picked up Humbrol Super Enamel at the hobby store -- guy said enamel was the way to go when painting over painted plastic. Both colors worked great! I'm perfectly happy with my $1.99 "FO's"!

cheers,
Chuck

Back
Top Bottom