"Other" category on FA-10

Hey guys, I'm about to sell a NIB JP-15 stripped lower receiver via FA-10, and the buyer and I were talking about how it would be done on the FA-10, because the last time he bought a stripped lower from a dealer, the dealer used the "other" category. I just have no experience with this "other" category, so I didn't want to make a mistake by using that if I should (as I thought was the case) have been using the "rifle" category, especially since the lower has its own serial number etc. I am in no way averse to using the "other" category-I just wanted to check here first to find out if it should or should not be used. Thanks for your help!

The mistake would be to file an FA-10 at all. A stripped lower receiver, while it's certainly considered to be a firearm under federal law, fails to meet the Massachusetts legal definition of a firearm, since it can't be used to fire a projectile. Simply sell the lower with a simple bill of sale. If and when the buyer builds a complete firearm on it, then it becomes his responsibility to file an FA-10 for registration of the newly made firearm.

Ken

Yep.

If you do feel, for some reason, compelled to file an FA-10, probably file it as a rifle, since it can't be legally made into a pistol without extensive modification.

If you do feel, for some reason, compelled to file an FA-10, probably file it as a rifle, since it can't be legally made into a pistol without extensive modification.
Please explain what modification is required.

A standard AR lower mated to even the lightest pistol upper will require extensive modifications to get it under the 50 oz. weight limit.

Oh, okay. Thanks for your help guys. I was under the impression that this category had recently been added to the FA-10 as well, and that the lower, even stripped, was considered a firearm in MA. Just to be sure, this is not the case, and I do not have to do this sale with an FA-10? Also, you mentioned a "bill of sale," does this have to be a legal form similar to an FA-10, or can I just write one up myself, and if so, what do I need to include to do it properly? Thanks for all your help guys!

Pray tell, exactly WHAT is he supposed to write in the blanks for "barrel length" and "caliber" if he fills out an FA-10 on a stripped lower?

Whoa... I can tell I've been reading Scrivener's posts again... [laugh]

Oh, okay. Thanks for your help guys. I was under the impression that this category had recently been added to the FA-10 as well, and that the lower, even stripped, was considered a firearm in MA. Just to be sure, this is not the case, and I do not have to do this sale with an FA-10? Also, you mentioned a "bill of sale," does this have to be a legal form similar to an FA-10, or can I just write one up myself, and if so, what do I need to include to do it properly? Thanks for all your help guys!

It is NOT considered a firearm in MA. As for the bill of sale, I'd probably scrawl on a piece of paper something like "received from soandso, a stripped lower serial # suchandsuch, for the sum of whatever". Two copies, one for you and one for him/her. 'Course, I'm no lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express this summer.

Your bill of sale can be hand written, keep one copy for your records. I'd put the Manufacturer, model, serial number, caliber, color of the item, what it is ("stripped lower reciever"), both buyer and seller name and address, and both people sign it.

Last edited:
Pray tell, exactly WHAT is he supposed to write in the blanks for "barrel length" and "caliber" if he fills out an FA-10 on a stripped lower?

He'd put "0" for a barrel length and whatever the caliber designation is on the side of the lower. This may even be "multi" depending on the manufacturer.

A standard AR lower mated to even the lightest pistol upper will require extensive modifications to get it under the 50 oz. weight limit.
Thanks - I thought you were talking about modification to the lower.

He'd put "0" for a barrel length and whatever the caliber designation is on the side of the lower. This may even be "multi" depending on the manufacturer.

Only if he were foolish - or servile - enough to pointlessly file an unnecessary form for a NON-firearm. [rolleyes]

As has been discussed here, at length, before.

Only if he were foolish - or servile - enough to pointlessly file an unnecessary form for a NON-firearm. As has been discussed here, at length, before.
...and as certain vendors (coughSMITH&WESSONcough) still insist upon doing for stripped lowers. Which is why I will purchase no more M&P stripped lowers from S&W.

Only if he were foolish - or servile - enough to pointlessly file an unnecessary form for a NON-firearm. [rolleyes]

As has been discussed here, at length, before.

dwarven1's question was, " Pray tell, exactly WHAT is he supposed to write in the blanks for "barrel length" and "caliber" if he fills out an FA-10 on a stripped lower?" and that was what I replied to.

dwarven1's question was, " Pray tell, exactly WHAT is he supposed to write in the blanks for "barrel length" and "caliber" if he fills out an FA-10 on a stripped lower?" and that was what I replied to.

And my response was; "... if he were foolish - or servile - enough to pointlessly file an unnecessary form..."

So we both responded on the premise of the seller filing an unnecessary - and incomplete - form.

Note that, if the frame is a 1911, AR-15, Glock, or a number of other frames, the caliber is necessarily capable of being built into many different calibers. The primary limitation would be the dimensions of the magwell; not what may - or may not - be stamped on the frame.

If it makes you feel better, write "lower receiver" and "no bbl" on the form and send it in. The worst FA10 sin you can commit is to fold the form. Jack.

I don't need to mindlessly file a worthless form to "feel better" and I have sent FA-10s folded with letters in without any repercussions.

I don't need to mindlessly file a worthless form to "feel better" and I have sent FA-10s folded with letters in without any repercussions.

Reason I said that was because CHSB sent me a bunch of large envelopes along with the forms with instructions to not fold them. May make the scanning easier, not that it matters much. Jack.

Reason I said that was because CHSB sent me a bunch of large envelopes along with the forms with instructions to not fold them. May make the scanning easier, not that it matters much. Jack.
Not my problem - last time I looked, there was no law against folding it. They can unfold it to scan it. [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom