• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Optic question...

btnh6668

NES Member
Just curious for those of you with larger rifle collections. Do you buy optics for most of your rifles or do you use same couple of optics for multiple guns?

Swapping optics across rifles (and handguns!) is a cost saver if you're not to worried about zeroing different calibers, different loads, and different velocities.

For example, if I had four 20" .223 ARs and each AR had the same twist rate and I shot the same loads out of each AR, then I'd swap optics around. But swapping optics between, say, a .223 AR and a 7.62x39 AK would mean a lot of zeroing.

Swapping optics across rifles (and handguns!) is a cost saver if you're not to worried about zeroing different calibers, different loads, and different velocities.

For example, if I had four 20" .223 ARs and each AR had the same twist rate and I shot the same loads out of each AR, then I'd swap optics around. But swapping optics between, say, a .223 AR and a 7.62x39 AK would mean a lot of zeroing.
Did you suggest an optic on an AK?
[slap]

For me it really depends on the rifle. A bolt action without fixed sights usually has a dedicated scope with rings of the proper height. An AR with a flat top lends itself to the use of an optic or iron sights. One of my semi autos with iron sights has never had an optic on it. I guess it comes down to the need for magnification or not. Once I find a combination that seems to be working for me, I tend to leave it that way.

So far, all of my long guns have their own optics

10/22 has a cheap 3-9 variable scope
Gunsite Scout rifle has a forward-mounted long eye relief 2-7x scout scope. I've put a red dot and regular scope on it, but settled back on the scout scope. It has open sights too.
.308 AR has 4 - 16x Nikon M308 scope with BDC 800 reticle. No backup open sights.
AR #1 (20" target rifle) has 3 - 12x M223 Nikon scope with BDC 600 reticle. No backup open sights.
AR #2 (14.5" carbine) has a red dot sight with an attachable doubler if desired, and flip-up back-up iron sights. It also has a sling and attached weaponlight. This is my SHTF gun.
I've put the dot sight on my Rem870 shotgun with a saddle mount rail to try when turkey hunting, but took it back off.

Last edited:
rifles that are intended for optics get optics. I have one pistol with a red dot. MKIII hunter with some $139 optic on it. works. Rifles run the price range from free to $1000

I can’t remember how long ago now, it’s been years, but I had a chance to buy one of those just as it sits there, brand spanking new/unfired for 1K and I passed it up, thinking they’d always be available. WTF was I thinking. It still hurts me inside.

The M76 or the Drag? Zastava "neither confirm[ed] nor den[ied]" the future importation of the M76 at SHOT2020. So, that might happen in the future. The M91s are being imported currently.

The M76 or the Drag? Zastava "neither confirm[ed] nor den[ied]" the future importation of the M76 at SHOT2020. So, that might happen in the future. The M91s are being imported currently.

It was a Draganov. Now I got a tear in my eye. lol
I’m guessing this was early 90’s or so.

I justify over spending on optics because "I can use it on different rifles".

With that said, every rifle has its own optic. Usually my favorite has the nice stuff, and the backups have mid grade.

I'm actually moving away from mid tier. Hell, I'm eyeballing a comp M4 right now. If I get it, I'll have to gut my only range AR, get rid of the poly lower, the F93 stock and the YHM handguard and make it a (yet another) fight worthy rifle, just so the new optic has a home.

Just curious for those of you with larger rifle collections. Do you buy optics for most of your rifles or do you use same couple of optics for multiple guns?
Leupold 3X-9X on my Savage Axis .308; Nikon 4X-12X on my Savage Axis .223; Leupold fixed 4X on little Jill's bolt-action Savage MK II heavy-barrel .22. All are good scopes. The combination of the Savage AccuTrigger and quality optics result in outstanding accuracy.

If you plan on swapping optics, check out the Scalarworks mounts. Supposedly they go back to their original zero well, and they look cool.

Either naked sights or their own glass.
If it weren't for my hand guns I'd have more invested in glass than in my firearms.

Generally, each rifle and upper has its own optics and/or iron sights.

The exception is a 4-16x scope that gets passed around for barrel/cartridge precision testing. I use it to establish baselines for new guns or new ammo.

I do, however, prefer QD mounts because I swap them around regularly enough that I find non-QD mounts to be annoying.

If you plan on swapping optics, check out the Scalarworks mounts. Supposedly they go back to their original zero well, and they look cool.

They’re also very light weight and extremely well made. I have their iron sights, and their picatinny fit is phenomenal along with their machining in general. Planning on getting their mounts going forward as I need them, along with upgrading a couple of my existing mounts. I’m normally a Larue QD guy, but the scalar works is on another level.

I'm also in the one rifle one glass camp. I have 5 rifles that require scopes and they each have their own. It can start to add up as good glass can cost the same or more then the rifle they are on.

i like to set it and forget, plus i like buying scopes. 1 per, actually i have a few spares looking for rifles at the moment

Got a couple red dots seeking homes, generally I use 2.5x on my standard-,ish ARs but a couple with dots, couple with irons (carry handle), couple with scopes, one naked awaiting a scope, etc... no I never swap them, hate wasting valuable shooting time sighting in.

There’s only one rifle I use regularly that doesn’t have an optic and that’s because I can’t decide if I should keep it or not. All of my other shooters have their own optics. So no, I don’t swap from rifle to rifle.

I've been bingewatching AKOU recently and here's an episode where Rob tested placing a RS Regulate mount on various AKs and then shot the guns to verify the zeroes. Basically, swapping optics around is fine if you're using the same platforms and similar loadings. Say you own five optics and you have a lot of guns coming and going - ok, sure, have pre-set up optics that get used for testing purposes. However, the best practice is that each gun, rifle, pistol, or shotgun, warrants its own optic, unless you're relying on the irons or the bead.

Back
Top Bottom