Optic for lever action Henry .22

There is lots of good advice in this thread about traditional looking optics, and if you want some magnification, and a traditional reticle, then that may be the way to go. But I will offer an alternative idea which works well for plinking with a fast shooting .22 like the Henry.

I like a red dot on my plinking .22 rifles. And a pistol style reflex red dot works quite well on a rifle without changing the appearance or balance very much. A red dot is not the right optic for hitting a penny from a rested position. But for offhand or kneeling, and shooting slightly larger targets as quick as you can acquire them, a red dot is tons of fun.

When my eyesight got too poor to shoot well even with aperture sights, I put a Primary Arms tube style red dot on my Marlin 39A. I don't love the look of it, but it is great to shoot, and I should have put it on sooner. With a reflex style sight, the rifle would look better, and shoot just as well.

There is lots of good advice in this thread about traditional looking optics, and if you want some magnification, and a traditional reticle, then that may be the way to go. But I will offer an alternative idea which works well for plinking with a fast shooting .22 like the Henry.

I like a red dot on my plinking .22 rifles. And a pistol style reflex red dot works quite well on a rifle without changing the appearance or balance very much. A red dot is not the right optic for hitting a penny from a rested position. But for offhand or kneeling, and shooting slightly larger targets as quick as you can acquire them, a red dot is tons of fun.

When my eyesight got too poor to shoot well even with aperture sights, I put a Primary Arms tube style red dot on my Marlin 39A. I don't love the look of it, but it is great to shoot, and I should have put it on sooner. With a reflex style sight, the rifle would look better, and shoot just as well.
This.

To hell with what "looks right." This isn't fashion week. Set up your rifle so it suits your needs. If a red dot makes shooting more fun for the kid, then do that.

To the haters, this belled optic looks just fine on Chris Pratt's rifle. In fact, it looks like a handy brush setup.
1497465509023-NFIMENUCIUNLG4U2DQPE

Yeah, it's a movie. So what? That's what's driving the image in most of our heads anyways. So what if The Rifleman didn't use one, you're not Chuck Connors; your kid probably hasn't even heard his name. If the goal here is to get the kid to enjoy shooting - build toward your goal.

This.

To hell with what "looks right." This isn't fashion week. Set up your rifle so it suits your needs. If a red dot makes shooting more fun for the kid, then do that.

To the haters, this belled optic looks just fine on Chris Pratt's rifle. In fact, it looks like a handy brush setup.
1497465509023-NFIMENUCIUNLG4U2DQPE

Yeah, it's a movie. So what? That's what's driving the image in most of our heads anyways. So what if The Rifleman didn't use one, you're not Chuck Connors; your kid probably hasn't even heard his name. If the goal here is to get the kid to enjoy shooting - build toward your goal.
With the size of dinosaurs, the jungle and the speed, a red dot would have been 100x more useful.

But the OPs kid is not a fag in a Hollywood movie, he wants something that fits and the old school scopes are sexy. The Soule sights are even faster to acquire target than a magnification scope and are also sexy.

Maybe I just like old school guns and history too much.

PS: that trigger finger.

But the OPs kid [...] wants something that fits and the old school scopes are sexy.
I agree about the historic scopes, and looking back at the OP - it sounds like that's what the kid wants.
The Soule sights are even faster to acquire target than a magnification scope and are also sexy.

Maybe I just like old school guns and history too much.
I'm not saying they're not. In fact, your posts about the Soule sites have me curious about putting them on a rifle for myself. You like what you like, and should celebrate that.

All I was saying about the red dots - get whatever makes the kid want to shoot more. It sounds like here that would mean an historic scope.
PS: that trigger finger.
I agree. So here's Chuck Connors being just as bad.
iu

I agree about the historic scopes, and looking back at the OP - it sounds like that's what the kid wants.

I'm not saying they're not. In fact, your posts about the Soule sites have me curious about putting them on a rifle for myself. You like what you like, and should celebrate that.

All I was saying about the red dots - get whatever makes the kid want to shoot more. It sounds like here that would mean an historic scope.

iu
If you want to try a Kelley soule sight, you are welcome to shoot my rifle.

I don't have an optics suggestion.
But, want to add...
On my first day with a Henry 22 with Skinner peep, I whacked everything I was aiming at, first shot, @ 30yds.
-Like I didn't even have to try.

I could see some advantage of being able to go out further with an optic but, that Skinner is really nice.

That's pretty much how I was taught is to try and first focus on the target, then allow your eyes to relax and focus on the front sight, let the target and the rear apetuer go blurry. Seems to work well for me.
With aperture or peep sights vision can still be a bit off.
The smaller rear aperture will help with depth of field and our eyes/brain like to naturally center things in the aperture

Not a henry but this is the set up im talking about A1B05A01-8B96-4275-9BFA-47AA191BBCD7.jpeg A1B05A01-8B96-4275-9BFA-47AA191BBCD7.jpeg

Or go all old school and get a tang sight
1EA1E123-AF4C-40BB-9ACC-B6F873D5422E.png

Last edited:

iu
Chuck has a bigger loop

Back
Top Bottom