Oppose McCain TRICARE Fee Hike

dustoff22

NES Member
I received this email from MOAA (Military Officers Association of America) today and feel strongly that increases in TRICARE (military health care for retirees) fees are wrong and uncalled for. Any support would be appreciated. What I'm most worried about is the message that increased fees will send to those who think of making the military a career. It was, when I was drafted in 1965, our governments' promise that anyone who served in the military and retired would be given gratis health care for life. The government has since lied and a carte blanche ability to raise fees at any time in the future is heinous.

"The Senate is expected to finish action on the FY2012 Defense Authorization Act (S. 1867) this week.

One of the amendments to be considered soon is a proposal by Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) to significantly increase TRICARE Prime enrollment fees over time.

Previously, the full House of Representatives and the Senate Armed Services Committee approved language to specify the percentage increase in Prime fees can't exceed the retired pay COLA percentage in any year.

The McCain amendment would eliminate the COLA cap and let the Pentagon hike fees by some unspecified index of health cost growth (estimated by DoD at 6.5% per year).

Over time, the McCain amendment would increase fees by hundreds of dollars a year.

Time is short, and we need phone calls to fight this inappropriate fee hike.

Please use MOAA's toll-free Capitol Hill Hotline (1-866-272-6622) and ask the Capitol operator to put you through to your senators' offices (to identify your senators, go to http://capwiz.com/moaa/dbq/officials/ and click on your state).

Please give this short message to the staffer who answers the phone:

"I'm a constituent, and I want my senator to OPPOSE Sen. McCain's defense bill amendment #1230 that would impose further increases in military TRICARE fees."

If you get a busy signal, please try again in a few minutes."

Back
Top Bottom