Maybe this will make you feel better about America

The Marine son of a friend of mine was returning home today for a "96" after being in Haiti.
He was in the Charlotte airport waiting for his flight to Boston and a man came up to him and asked if he was a Marine.

He replied in the affirmative and the man told him to give him his ticket. He then proceeded to go to the counter and pay for a first-class upgrade. He wasn't even on the same flight.

Nice[grin]

Ditto the outstanding! I don't think anything like that happened in the 60's or 70's. We, at one point, were not allowed to travel in uniform, much less leave post (Fort Rucker, AL or Fort Wolters, TX) in uniform. Glad the public woke up.

There is also a huge difference in Troop appreciation outside of MA.
MA literally sucks as far as that goes especially here in the HAPPY Valley.[wink]
That is cool.

I was traveling this past week on Uncle Sam's business, and my friend and I had free lunch in the airport! We were as surprised as could be!

... BTW, when you get out of New England, it is amazing how many times we got thanked for our service. Here in MA, it happens occasionally; in Virginia, we were thanked several times daily... even when we weren't in uniform!

I was traveling this past week on Uncle Sam's business, and my friend and I had free lunch in the airport! We were as surprised as could be!

... BTW, when you get out of New England, it is amazing how many times we got thanked for our service. Here in MA, it happens occasionally; in Virginia, we were thanked several times daily... even when we weren't in uniform!

Yeah it is amazing once you leave MA. You also see all kinds of billboards too.[wink]

Sad that the birthplace of the American Revolution is now so anti-military In high school I went to go talk to my counselor about joining the Army, and all he did was talk about all the negatives about the military, and asked me if I really wanted to go overseas and kill women and children. I moved out of MA asap after I left HS.

That is nice to hear. I'm sure that the hard charger who received the upgrade really appreciated it. God bless these folks who actively recognize the sacrifices made by our Marine Corps.

I remember coming back to CONUS after a deployment; I was having a meal with some of my Brothers @ Sonny's in San Clemente (http://www.sonnys.com/). Our group had several rounds along with multiple entrees and a few pizzas. When it came time to collect the bill our waitress informed us that we were all set . . . an anonymous patron had taken care of us because they recognized we had just returned home. My Brothers and I demanded to know who this individual was so we could thank them; the waitress declined to reveal their identity.

These types of things are great morale boosters for our active duty troops.

I have to give props to the staff at Manchester airport (and why would ANYONE use Logan). As my son came off his flight home on leave, and was thanked for his service several times as he walked out with us.

JR

I had a sandwich bought for me outside my high school when I was back giving a presentation. Also, when all of us were leaving for boot camp the flight attendant upgraded all of us, and this was before we even got to the Island. I wouldn't say Massachusetts is thankless... I did get one kid who did the whole little baby killer thing but he clearly had some issues so I didn't really sweat it.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom