Opinions on bluing muzzleloader barrel?

Viper22

NES Member
As a graduation present from my grandparents, they bought me a Traditions Hawken Rifle Kit. The barrel is in the white, and needs a finish. I quickly browsed midway and brownells, but I'm not sure what would be the right stuff to use.

What products are easy to use and create a nice, deeply blued finish? Is it worth it to spend $20 to $50 for something like cold blue? I came across a product called 44/40. Has anyone used this? Its wipe on, wipe off. Sounds easy enough.

Opinions? Experiences? Recommendations?

Edit: Blue Wonder looks like it might do the trick. http://www.bluewonder.us/BlueWonderGunBlue.html

Last edited:
Birchwood Casey makes a complete rebluing kit. It can be bought at Dick's sporting goods for less than $20. It comes with rust and blue remover, which is good to prep the barrel, even if it is new, as it will give you a contaminent free starting point. It also comes with Perma Blue, I have used it and if you are careful and thorough it will give a nice finish. And finally it comes with a protective oil rub, which will keep your gun from rusting. Cold blue of any kind is not quite as good as factory blue at preventing rust, so the oil that comes with the kit will be very useful, and it works better than most. Just follow the directions that come with the kit, and DON'T RUSH! If you rush it you will regret it! This is not a 5 minute process. It won't take forever, but it is going to take a while to get a nice deep finish. Good luck and please post pics when it is finished.

Birchwood Casey makes a complete rebluing kit. It can be bought at Dick's sporting goods for less than $20. It comes with rust and blue remover, which is good to prep the barrel, even if it is new, as it will give you a contaminent free starting point. It also comes with Perma Blue, I have used it and if you are careful and thorough it will give a nice finish. And finally it comes with a protective oil rub, which will keep your gun from rusting. Cold blue of any kind is not quite as good as factory blue at preventing rust, so the oil that comes with the kit will be very useful, and it works better than most. Just follow the directions that come with the kit, and DON'T RUSH! If you rush it you will regret it! This is not a 5 minute process. It won't take forever, but it is going to take a while to get a nice deep finish. Good luck and please post pics when it is finished.

Sounds like a plan. I'll be heading to DSG tomorrow then.

I picked up tung oil today, and I'll start on the fitting & assembly this coming week. I'll have time to finish the stock and blue the barrel next weekend.

I was quite surprised when I opened up the box. The stock has an awesome grain to it!

Just make sure to clean all the steel to be blued very thoroughly, as oil will mess up the finish. You may also want to pick up some super-fine steel wool to rub the barrel with before and after coats. It will remove any small imperfections and I found it made it easier to get an even finish without streaks, just make sure to degrease after. If you look on youtube, you will find a bunch of videos on cold blue. Watch a few and it may help. Just take your time, and the end result will be well worth the wait! And even if you screw up, the blue remover will remove everything and you can just start over.

This was blued using the 44/40 and tounge oil on the stock, the stuff works well, the smoother you finish the metal the nicer the final finish. If you decide to use it, I can give you some tips.

bp4.jpg

JohnFH, that is gorgeous!

How easy was it to apply? Do you have to heat the barrel like you do with other bluing kits?

No heat, just finish the metal and clean really well. Get the rag wet and rub hard till you see the metal turn.
I found out by accident, if you let it sit over nite, you will get a fine rust patina. Which ended up looking really nice. So make sure you wipe everything down with 30 wt motor oil when your done. The color is more black than blue.

Just dropped $200 on shooting accessories (powder, bullets, tools, etc) at Bass Pro Shops. Picked up the Birchwood Casey Perma Blue also. I'll update the thread once I get some work done on the rifle this week.

Back
Top Bottom