• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinion on J&G's converted Saiga?

Hey guys,

I have been shopping around for a decent rifle for a bit and came across this:

http://www.jgsales.com/saiga-ak-74-style-rifle,-5.45x39,-black-synthetic-stock,-new.-p-63104.html

Does anyone have any experience with J&G's converted Saiga? I was looking to buy an AK74, and people tell me this is as close as I am going to get. Does anyone know the quality of the conversion? I have been asking around a couple of gun shops nearby to see if they have one I can go see but so far, no one does. Thanks!

I don't really consider this to be a full conversion. They did the bullet guide so you can use 'real' AK74 mags, and moved the fire control group to allow for the pistol grip. If you want to make the forend look like a real ak74, you will need a handguard retainer and a new gas tube, along with the handguards, which will run you close to another $100. In addition, the barrel shroud on the muzzle is not quite the same as an AK74 muzzle brake.

I think you can probably get closer to an actual AK74 for the same or less money.

Also, keep in mind that preban AK74 mags are pretty tough to find, as compared to AK47 mags. Same with ammo.

The rifle you are looking at is going to be a really good rifle. It just depends on your expectations and how authentic you want it to be.

Good luck.

saiga is the only true russian AK. can't get any more russian than izhmash made gun.
yes restoring it to become a real AK will take some work and probably anywhere from 100 to 400 bucks depending on the level authenticity you are looking for.
and this day and age there are good quality (non-century) build guns that can be had for less. ak74 mags are not that tough to find. assuming you are willing to pay premium. GB is full of them.
also 5.45 is also plentyfull online i don't know why mclina things it's tough to find. it's virtually everywhere assuming as long as you are not looking to get cheap 7N6. if 7N6 gets banned commercial 5.45 will become new 223/5.56 equivalent and cheaper too.

OP needs to figure out if he wants:

1. russian ak no matter what
or
2. good ak for less cash.

after that it's just looking for vendors who will ship to MA

also those guns look like Centuri Arms (CAI) conversions. they have been selling them for many month now. i would tread carefully with century they are usually a crap-shoot. however modding saiga to AK config is so simple even century monkeys could have gotten right.

Last edited:
I don't really consider this to be a full conversion. They did the bullet guide so you can use 'real' AK74 mags, and moved the fire control group to allow for the pistol grip. If you want to make the forend look like a real ak74, you will need a handguard retainer and a new gas tube, along with the handguards, which will run you close to another $100. In addition, the barrel shroud on the muzzle is not quite the same as an AK74 muzzle brake.

I think you can probably get closer to an actual AK74 for the same or less money.

Also, keep in mind that preban AK74 mags are pretty tough to find, as compared to AK47 mags. Same with ammo.

The rifle you are looking at is going to be a really good rifle. It just depends on your expectations and how authentic you want it to be.

Good luck.

do you have another site that would provide a more authentic AK74? I know Arsenal does them for a premium.

saiga is the only true russian AK. can't get any more russian than izhmash made gun.
yes restoring it to become a real AK will take some work and probably anywhere from 100 to 400 bucks depending on the level authenticity you are looking for.
and this day and age there are good quality (non-century) build guns that can be had for less. ak74 mags are not that tough to find. assuming you are willing to pay premium. GB is full of them.
also 5.45 is also plentyfull online i don't know why mclina things it's tough to find. it's virtually everywhere assuming as long as you are not looking to get cheap 7N6. if 7N6 gets banned commercial 5.45 will become new 223/5.56 equivalent and cheaper too.

or

also those guns look like Centuri Arms (CAI) conversions. they have been selling them for many month now. i would tread carefully with century they are usually a crap-shoot. however modding saiga to AK config is so simple even century monkeys could have gotten right.
I've seen a few pre-ban AK74 mags, they are a bit expensive but that's what I get for living in MASS.

PS: Someone in another thread mentioned that its not legal to own a converted Saiga 12 in Mass? Is this true? I haven't heard anything about it.

saiga 12 is a shotgun and falls under different category of AWB. under this category detachable magazine is an 'evil feature' and not a pre-requisite

unlike with rifles where semi-auto AND detachable mag are both pre-requisites that trigger 'evil feature' count

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher mount

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
Detachable magazine.

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Last edited:

or

To be honest, I really haven't looked that hard. I have seen the ammo at quite a few places online, and in bulk in at least one local shop. It was really the mags that I thought were hard to find or expensive (compared to AK47 mags anyway). I have heard of more than a few people who bought or converted AK74's and then complained that they couldn't find/afford enough mags.

saiga 12 is a shotgun and falls under different category of AWB. under this category detachable magazine is an 'evil feature' and not a pre-requisite

unlike with rifles where semi-auto AND detachable mag are both pre-requisites that trigger 'evil feature' count
So does that mean a Saiga that is converted outside of the state and shipped as a rifle is not allowed for civilian use?

A converted Saiga rifle is OK, just not a shotgun.

Just for reference, here is an AK74 that you could buy in a free state:

http://www.slickguns.com/product/bulgarian-ak-74-bsr-74-rifle-545x39-54995

This rifle would be legal in MA with a little modification (grind off bayo lug and pin muzzle brake). The trick, like dnepro-mike said, is finding a dealer to ship to MA, and an FFL that will let you ship it to them and then do the modifications.

A converted Saiga rifle is OK, just not a shotgun.

Just for reference, here is an AK74 that you could buy in a free state:

http://www.slickguns.com/product/bulgarian-ak-74-bsr-74-rifle-545x39-54995

This rifle would be legal in MA with a little modification (grind off bayo lug and pin muzzle brake). The trick, like dnepro-mike said, is finding a dealer to ship to MA, and an FFL that will let you ship it to them and then do the modifications.
Thanks for the heads up! I know Arsenal is very high quality, do you by chance know other companies that do high quality full conversions? An Arsenal will run 1~1.3k. Might as well get a Colt for that!

Thanks for the heads up! I know Arsenal is very high quality, do you by chance know other companies that do high quality full conversions? An Arsenal will run 1~1.3k. Might as well get a Colt for that!

I really don't. My AK experience is strictly limited to converting a few Saiga 7.62x39s, and building a few parts kits in the same caliber. I haven't dealt with any 5.45x39 rifles, and I haven't bought any complete AKs.

But I'm sure somebody can help you out. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom