• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opening Russian Spam Cans

How is everyone opening Russian Spam cans? I didn't get a tool with my Spam can, and I'd like to shot the mosin tomorrow. I've seen some videos on youtube that didn't look like the best/safest method...

Thanks in advance!

A big f**king hammer, and some kind of screwdriver with a big handle on it.... start bashing the shit out of the edge until you can peel/pry enough of the container open to get at the bundles of goodies inside it.

I always wanted to use a dremel tool to just cut it open but I was always worried that I would slice open a round and catch it on fire, or set the paper bundles inside the ammo can on fire, and that would be bad. [laugh]

-Mike

A big f**king hammer, and some kind of screwdriver with a big handle on it.... start bashing the shit out of the edge until you can peel/pry enough of the container open to get at the bundles of goodies inside it.

I always wanted to use a dremel tool to just cut it open but I was always worried that I would slice open a round and catch it on fire, or set the paper bundles inside the ammo can on fire, and that would be bad. [laugh]

-Mike

hahahaha That's probably the method I'll end up trying.

I like that idea! I'd like to keep the top of the can relatively intact so I can hang it up.

I usually use the spam can opener, but in a pinch, I have been known to use a small hatchet and a hammer. The blade doesn't go that far in, so you can do it (relatively) neatly.

I've used a grinder with 24 grit disc on low speed. No sparks just easy cutting. Its soft metal and a disc rips rigtht through the lip.

I find it easier to just rip a hole in the bottom of the can just enough to get a box or 2 out, screw driver and some tin snips. Then the rest can come out easy. This way also preserves the can for looks. I have a small collection of ammo cans in my shed and it just looks cool seeing the unopen but empty ammo tins on the shelf.

Find an old wood chisel (one you dont care about) and a mallet. Flat edge against the outside lip. To get started you will need to drive in one corner of the chisel. Once you have a hole you can work your way around just like you would with a manual can opener.

This method also works well to remove the tops of 55 gallon drums.

Thanks for all the tips! I ended up using a wide, sharp chisel with great success. The Can held up surprisingly well, so I think I'll still hang it up.

How do I open a spam can of 7.62x54R Silver Tip Russian Military Ammo

I just received a spam can of 440 rounds of Russian ammo for my Mosin Nagant. Please tell me how to open this safetly...

don't have a Mosin, had no idea what a spam can of ammo was... out of curiosity looked and found this... guessing you don't get the tool with the can??

Last edited by a moderator:
Spam can opener is the tool. But you can use

Screwdriver + hammer.
Or
Mosin nagant bayonet + hammer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the war usually over by the time you get the can open??
Will a consumer grade can opener work? The old heavy duty kind with all metal handles and grinding teeth..

Is the war usually over by the time you get the can open??
Will a consumer grade can opener work? The old heavy duty kind with all metal handles and grinding teeth..

No and no.

I use a grinder to open them. Grind along the top of the roll crimp on the can until the seam becomes visible, then pry off the top and deburr. Done this way, the can can be used for other things or even resealed with solder.

Years ago I bought a spam-can opener, but damned if I could find it when I needed it. Used a big mutha screwdriver and hammer carefully around the edges enough to peel back the top to pull out the ammo and store it in a .50cal can.

Just use care and you won't damage any of the bundles inside.

Back
Top Bottom