open carry on your own property ?

Is it legal to open carry on your own property ? I have about 11 acres. some say yes , others say I could get harassed by my local P.D.

assuming you are asking about MA?

it is legal to open carry anywhere but not necessarily prudent.

On your own property I would do it without any concern for harassment. But that is me

Don't do it, man. Everything is illegal in MA. In fact, the internet is illegal.

Also, when I used to live in MA, I would always OC when I was at home, or in my yard.

original.jpg

While this cartoon may seem silly, it is not far fetched to have something like this happen in MA, or even CT at this point.[frown]

I wouldn't open carry in my front yard in front of a busy street, but if I had eleven acres and it was wooded in a rural area, I would have no problem with OC myself in the privacy of my land. Do you hunt on your land, can you hunt on your land?

I wouldn't open carry in my front yard in front of a busy street, but if I had eleven acres and it was wooded in a rural area, I would have no problem with OC myself in the privacy of my land. Do you hunt on your land, can you hunt on your land?

Same here. I am a friendly neighborly type of fellow but that doesn't necessarily mean I want all my neighbors to know I own firearms.

Perfectly legal to OC on your own property. You may alarm the sheeple, but if the police show up they'd be hard pressed to come up with a charge...

But they always love the challenge!

I'd say "Bring it." If you're on your own private property, and are duly licensed, I can't imagine there's much they could come up with. Unless you're waving/pointing your guns in the general direction of busybody neighbors, the OP should be fine.

I OC on the Cape all the time. Only usually when dressed in a suit, no one raises an eye. Now in Bean town that may be a different story. I think it is situational in this State.

OP needs to change his name because to me you look like you give a F*%@!!

[wink] Keep Calm (inside the property line) and Carry On

I clean shotguns and mosins in my driveway
My neighbor called the police when I was cleaning a shotgun in my own garage! I had the garage door open and he could see me.....10 minutes later a cruiser pulls by.......cop rolls down the window and says "just cleaning it right"? I said yes band asked if the neighbor xalled......cop just shrugged his shoulders and drove away. ****ing sheep nwver cease to amaze me......but at least the cop didn't hassle me

My neighbor called the police when I was cleaning a shotgun in my own garage! I had the garage door open and he could see me.....10 minutes later a cruiser pulls by.......cop rolls down the window and says "just cleaning it right"? I said yes band asked if the neighbor xalled......cop just shrugged his shoulders and drove away. ****ing sheep nwver cease to amaze me......but at least the cop didn't hassle me

This is the problem right here. A lotta folks would say: "well the cop came around and nuttin' happened...see, I told ya so..." but a different cop with a different attitude, or whacko's dog comes rushing out from the garage barking at the cruiser...different outcome. (no I'm not kidding here). That's the problem.

This is the problem right here. A lotta folks would say: "well the cop came around and nuttin' happened...see, I told ya so..." but a different cop with a different attitude, or whacko's dog comes rushing out from the garage barking at the cruiser...different outcome. (no I'm not kidding here). That's the problem.
I see your point.....I think.......a jumpy cop could have said I pointed a guns t him and gone all crazy. Are you saying I should have had the door closed to avoid that potential problem or that the neighbor should have minded his own business. Jl

OC wherever you want (except the federally prohibited places and schools and the cape cod canal)

not illegal, nothing wrong with it, be free

I see your point.....I think.......a jumpy cop could have said I pointed a guns t him and gone all crazy. Are you saying I should have had the door closed to avoid that potential problem or that the neighbor should have minded his own business. Jl

Dude if i had 11 acres of land i would do so much unusual stuff that OC would be a minor one.

get yourself a sweet dobsonian telescope if youve got land. Then you need to OC to "protect" the dob. Well at least that my excuse when i lived in NC hahaha.

I'm not saying you should have done anything different really. Some people here say that we get all bent out of shape and go to ridiculous extremes regarding this open carry thing in Mass and would cite your experience as an example of this. No harm, no foul...right? The fact, however, that your neighbor even called the police with a "man with a gun" call and that the police responded, depending on the department and the officer, could have brought a much different conclusion. This is the game of roulette we play here. Some people claim that they have open carried in Dunkin Donuts getting their morning coffee, or down on the Cape with no problems or issues. There have been several cases where people have been arrested or had their licenses pulled when a cop accidentally saw their gun when the wind blew back a jacket. Too many variables.

Your neighbor is not that, and if you could move, you should. That person has way to much time on his/her hands and has way too much interest in your activities IMO. This is where the problem lies. Too many busybodies, social engineers and do gooders. Too many Barney Fife LEOs with far too many DHS tactical toys.

When somebody can tell me that they can openly carry walking down Boylston Street in Boston on a Wednesday afternoon at 2pm and not be at least stopped by the police and more than likely detained and/or arrested and actually do it then I will have great confidence in OC in Massachusetts. I don't see that happening.

I'm not saying you should have done anything different really. Some people here say that we get all bent out of shape and go to ridiculous extremes regarding this open carry thing in Mass and would cite your experience as an example of this. No harm, no foul...right? The fact, however, that your neighbor even called the police with a "man with a gun" call and that the police responded, depending on the department and the officer, could have brought a much different conclusion. This is the game of roulette we play here. Some people claim that they have open carried in Dunkin Donuts getting their morning coffee, or down on the Cape with no problems or issues. There have been several cases where people have been arrested or had their licenses pulled when a cop accidentally saw their gun when the wind blew back a jacket. Too many variables.

Your neighbor is not that, and if you could move, you should. That person has way to much time on his/her hands and has way too much interest in your activities IMO. This is where the problem lies. Too many busybodies, social engineers and do gooders. Too many Barney Fife LEOs with far too many DHS tactical toys.

When somebody can tell me that they can openly carry walking down Boylston Street in Boston on a Wednesday afternoon at 2pm and not be at least stopped by the police and more than likely detained and/or arrested and actually do it then I will have great confidence in OC in Massachusetts. I don't see that happening.
I concur complete! And yes my neighbor is a duesh. ;)

Back
Top Bottom