oops !

While they certainly don't owe him anything, and he would be a complete fool to attempt to extort anything from them, he is right that he did them a favor. If they had been shipped to an anti's house, the guns would have immediately gone to the police and the BATFE would then undoubtedly be looking for blood. The least they could do is throw him a bone.

Wow...That's amazing. Seriously though, what if the company F'd up and sent them to a Libtard's house. It would've been on the 7 o'clock news and in all of the papers.

My first thought was what would have happened if there was a shortage in the delivery. The individual put himself in a potentially dangerous situation. His end result was right but, his process was leaving him open for some real problems. I read of a situation where a fraudulent order was placed by a man who had stolen an identity. He had already ordered and collected several shipments of various merchandise by going to the address and taking the box off the doorstep before the property owner arrived home from work. His plan was working well until the day that the owner was home sick and got a package with merchandise he had not ordered. His questioning uncovered the rest of the fraud and brought to light many thousands of dollars of orders he had apparently ordered and received.

-Rick

If he had to be there to accept the packages or for the freight company to pick them up, he should be compensated for his time.

Especially if he had to take off work for this mistake.

He should have signed for the packages then denied everything...

"Honestly, how could I have received two boxes of guns when im not even a FFL?"

Would this company really have called the police to inform them that someone decided to keep guns that they had illegally shipped to a non-licensed individual?

All tongue-in-cheek....i'd have given them back, too...

How the hell does a company send 100 pistols to the wrong address, talk about stupid.

I also think the guy did the right thing.

Well, last spring I ordered a gun through Budsgunshop.com. In processing the order, Bud's charged me for 2 of them. I called them, and they corrrected the charge. I received the gun shortly after. It was delivered to Shoot Straight. This was Mar-Apr.

About a month ago, I walked in and one of the sales people saw me, and said "We got your gun in". My mind went blank, and my eyes no doubt registered the same. However, I was thinking that wouldn't it be nice if I had ordered one, and had just forgotten!! [smile]

I said "I don't recall ordering a gun"....playing it cautious, allowing for mistakes. This being the closest thing to thinking on my feet, I suppose.

So, they got the gun, and showed it to me. I recognized it immediately as a "sister" of my other gun ordered nearly 6 months ago. I said "Oh, yes, I did order one of these, but I received it some time ago". And they just stood there not sure what to think or do momentarily. I was already envisioning one for each hand...

I actually did say, trying to be funny (but thinking very seriously), "Do you think anyone would notice if I took possession of this....given the circumstances?" I grinned.

Of course, I did not take possession - as free as Florida is concerning ownership of guns...I value BEING free much more so.

I would have looked at the packing slip, and if the contents were something that I didn't order, I would have refused delivery, signed nothing and let the rest of the world deal with it. Jack.

+100

I can't stress this enough: NEVER sign for something you don't know for a fact was ordered by someone in your house!!! When something illegal gets sniffed out during shipping (case and point, Robert Parrish having a few ounces of high grade grass FedEx'ed to him from California back in the day), the authorities will put a LEO/FA in delivery garb and have him deliver and accept signature for the package in question. That signifies your acknowledgment that the package was expected and acceptance of responsibility for it's contents. They do this because any clown who has it in for you can try decide to mail you something highly illegal in an attempt to screw you over. If you sign for it, you're saying that you were expecting it no matter what the contents and then have to deal with the legal quagmire that follows. Better safe than sorry, especially in this day and age.

I'm not saying the guy's full of s*** (OK, maybe that's exactly what I'm saying), but if that happened to me, and I was stupid enough to say "Sure, I'll accept the delivery!", I'd have taken a picture or two to go with the story.

I'm curious...

What exactly is the law he would have broken if he just kept them?

If a company sends me something I neither request or paid for, I am under no obligation to return or notify the company of their error. Why does this change just because it is a gun? The error is on the company that shipped the product to the wrong address.

I'm not saying that I would condone the keeping of the guns, just curious just what charges would be levied against a person who simply accepted a package sent to him. (assuming of course there isn't some kind of BS state law like "possession of a firearm without a license")

Probably not really anything at first, but one eyed jack and RG617 are right, when he accepted and opened the package, he sort of muddled the question of his intent. In any case, that kind of error would of course be detected and he would be tracked down and contacted, and if the guns weren't given back at that point then he would have broken 18 USC 44 § 922(a)(3) & (6), and MGL C.266 § 30.

I'm curious...

Justification of SWAT team budget law, since you have an 'arsenal' and refused a peaceful resolution. :)

But in seriousness it would likely be interstate commerce laws which moves into federal territory.

Probably not really anything at first, but one eyed jack and RG617 are right, when he accepted and opened the package, he sort of muddled the question of his intent. In any case, that kind of error would of course be detected and he would be tracked down and contacted, and if the guns weren't given back at that point then he would have broken 18 USC 44 § 922(a)(3) & (6), and MGL C.266 § 30.

18 USC 44 § 922(a)(3)

It would be interesting to see this apply. To "Receive into" requires you to request something. Unless the prosecution can produce such a request, the delivery is still a 'gift' and such a recipient is not liable for the illegal act of shipping it. They might lose the guns as 'evidence' but I fail to see how this would create cause for prosecution.

18 USC 44 § 922(a)(6)

As above, the prosecution would have to show where a false or fraudulent submission was made. If the crate is addressed to the recipient, claiming you are that person is NOT fraud.

MGL C.266 § 30

Where is the theft? How is this any different from a company sending a sample? OK, 50 guns is one hell of a sample, but the act involved is identical. Shipper addresses package to recipient and recipient opens his 'gift'.

Seriously, if I can treat a package that is erroneously shipped to me as a 'gift' for any other product, why then can I not do the same with a gun?

Back
Top Bottom