"Oops" on my Russian Dragunov

So this is my deal.

I recently acquired a very nice near mint condition Dragunov and finally took it to the range the other day. After getting back from the range my first priority is of course getting it cleaned as this is my new baby. One of the cleaning solutions I was using was called Powder Blast. It worked pretty well on the bolt and recevier area cleaning up the trigger workings and such. But then I sprayed some on the flash suppressor on the barrel to make quick work of cleaning that. To my sudden surprise the finish that was on the end started coming off. The Powder Blast stuff (i believe it was Break Free brand) just totally stripped whatever it touched on the barrel.

So.....I was thinking the best way to remedy this would be to blue it as I ordered some Oxpho Blue to use on it to touch it up. Basically what got touched was the whole flash suppressor and a little bit on the bottom of the front sight. Anybody have some input on this? It would be mush appreciated. I'm not sure if I should just go and strip more on the barrel to make everything look good or just do the end to prevent myself from looking like an amateur ass who tried to fix his mistake.

If you look at the can, you'll probably see that its a
"Chlorinated" aerosol. These are a no no on guns and can be hell on some finishes and plastics as well.

Some brake and carb cleaners are similar and should be avoided. There are non chlorinated cleaners that are packaged almost exactly the same but you must read the label and look for "Non Chlorinated".

I stick with regular Gumout carb cleaner, haven't had any problems with it.

As for a refinish, depends on what you want. If it were an expensive gun, I'd send it out to be completely done.

If you look at the can, you'll probably see that its a
"Chlorinated" aerosol. These are a no no on guns and can be hell on some finishes and plastics as well.

Some brake and carb cleaners are similar and should be avoided. There are non chlorinated cleaners that are packaged almost exactly the same but you must read the label and look for "Non Chlorinated".

I stick with regular Gumout carb cleaner, haven't had any problems with it.

As for a refinish, depends on what you want. If it were an expensive gun, I'd send it out to be completely done.

Ahh...I did not realize that. I read all of the warnings and atleast knew to keep it away from the plastic. I didn't think it would do a number like it did on the finished metal parts. I probably should have it done professionally especially considering I paid about $2700 for it.

It may just have been a painted surface, in which case you could just finish stripping it and repaint it with duracoat or some similar paint on finish.

I think you may be right about it being painted. And according to a local gun smith (autoburst.net) Drag finishes really do not like chemicals because of their painted finish. I got quoted $175 to do the whole job in black oxide and they have finished Drag's before due to this same issue I guess.

From now on I suggest using standard Break Free CLP as an all around cleaner and downloading a set of detailed take down/cleaning instructions.
No offense but using anything such as the harsh quickie cleaners on a rifle like that is like taking a Lamborghini to the drive through car wash. You've got a valuable investment there and a true collector quality rifle. If it were mine I'd kiss it before going to bed after I kiss my children.[smile]

From now on this baby is getting the royal treatment. And I just want to thank Mark from ZHA for the help yesterday, it looks all better. To quote GI Joe "Knowing is half the battle". Now I just have to apply the lesson in the future.

Back
Top Bottom