ooops OUCH - ND in Pelham

appraiser

NES Member
I hope the person gets well soon! Affordable is a really nice shop.

PELHAM — An employee at a local gun shop was injured when a gun discharged in the store yesterday.

The unidentified male employee at Affordable Firearms on Bridge Street lost part of a finger while pulling the slide back on a .45-caliber handgun that then went off, police said.

He was injured by the slide, not the bullet, police said. The employee drove himself to the hospital before police arrived about 1 p.m.

http://www.eagletribune.com/punewsnh/local_story_057022817.html

why is there a need to be f***ing around with a loaded gun in a gun store? IMO any loaded gun in a gun store should be on someones hip and stay there. None of the other guns should be loaded.

Crap! I've bought many items from Bob (Affordable) and have known Terry (Collectors in same store) for many years. Damn, I hope whoever it is recovers fully and doesn't face too much crap from the local constabulary.

why is there a need to be f***ing around with a loaded gun in a gun store? IMO any loaded gun in a gun store should be on someones hip and stay there. None of the other guns should be loaded.

Sounds like a customer brought it in and the employee was clearing it. Also sounds like he did at least follow the "safe direction" rule since he got injured by the slide and the bullet went into a wall.

<rant>
Of course the article mentions no make or model, just "45". WTF. If a car hits a tree, you get the make model & year in the story even though the driver was blind drunk. But in a "firearm went off" story, not one word about the make & model, even though the story always hints it's somehow the gun's fault.

Thhhpt.</rant>

Sounds like a customer brought it in and the employee was clearing it. Also sounds like he did at least follow the "safe direction" rule since he got injured by the slide and the bullet went into a wall.

<rant>
Of course the article mentions no make or model, just "45". WTF. If a car hits a tree, you get the make model & year in the story even though the driver was blind drunk. But in a "firearm went off" story, not one word about the make & model, even though the story always hints it's somehow the gun's fault.

Thhhpt.</rant>

Yep, thats what I figured too. Also he could have a carry gun that wasn't in stock at the store and wanted to let the customer try the grip for feel. He dropped the mag, was clearing the weapon and BOOM.

Well, we don't know the whole story. Very well could have been stuck round or something that the employee was trying to help clear.

I was in Collectors (Stoneham) one day when a customer brought in a rifle with a stuck live round in the chamber and the bolt would not move. The guy behind the counter took the gun and tried to force the bolt using a mallet to tap it. Not unusual in the method with some gun oil and grease to try to move the bolt but I thought he was using a bit too much force in the mallet.

I don't think anything happened but I took that as a sign to leave as I didn't want to be around in the case it went off.

+1!

When you remember rule #1, nobody gets shot.

Maybe a few years of not being able to "live it down" will shame him into reviewing the basic pistol course.

There are two kinds of morons in this world:
Those that lack the capacity to think, and
those that just plain choose not to.

I see people keeping their finger in the trigger guard when reloading/racking the slide- it makes me cringe!!! When you exert force with your off (left) hand to rack a slide you will almost naturally exert force with the right hand as you tense up... If your trigger finger is near the trigger this can happen! Also when people rack the slide keep your hand away from the muzzle AND the ejection port!

I see this this behavior more than I like to.... I always will say something... no matter where I am.

I was in the shop Sunday and this woman came in and whipped out her PPK with her finger on the trigger to show it to somebody and pointed it directly at me.

I've been swept many times before, but that was the first time I ever actually ducked out of the way

While most of these are pure "NDs" I wonder if this was a chucklehead customer who brought a gun in for trade in or something. I've seen a lot of idiots hand gun shop guys a loaded gun in a pistol rug or something like that.

One time I was at a shop where some old coot had brought in like 3 or 4 guns to trade in. The shop owners eyes became the size of golf balls when he started racking the shotgun the guy brought in and shells started tumbling out of it.

There probably was still a handling problem but sometimes a**h***s amplify the possibility of an error by doing crap like that. Not to mention some of those people probably bring in guns that may be loaded and intrinsically unsafe. (For example, a 1911 where some golden screwdriver type decided to hack up the sear or whatever. I've seen poorly done trigger jobs on 1911s cause SLAM FIRES when chambering a round. )

-Mike

Last edited:
Not really my place to do that. I'm a part-timer. The problem is that it is easy to get careless because it happens so often

Well, hope you at least gave her the "Ma'am, please don't do that... " polite lecture.... [laugh]

-Mike

The article said he pulled the slide back and then it went off. Malfunctioning disconnector? I know it's just an article and they get things wrong all the time, but it should have said it fired because he PULLED the trigger. Maybe it was a defective gun, but I highly doubt it.

I was in the shop Sunday and this woman came in and whipped out her PPK with her finger on the trigger to show it to somebody and pointed it directly at me.

I've been swept many times before, but that was the first time I ever actually ducked out of the way

Did you draw on her?

the story

I know this is old but Terry said a customer brought in a Para LDA to trade and he asked if it was unloaded and the guy said yes. He the racked the slide and it discharged. He said he isn't sure why it discharged. I don't know why you would bring a loaded firearm into a store to trade. They were lucky he handled it safely. To boot the ATF was in the store checking paperwork when it happened. They are great guys there and it isn't a bad reflextion on the shop. I'd highly recommend them.

The unidentified male employee at Affordable Firearms on Bridge Street lost part of a finger while pulling the slide back on a .45-caliber handgun that then went off, police said.
Sounds like the obsolete "press check" technique may have been in use.

I know this is old but Terry said a customer brought in a Para LDA to trade and he asked if it was unloaded and the guy said yes. He the racked the slide and it discharged. He said he isn't sure why it discharged. I don't know why you would bring a loaded firearm into a store to trade. They were lucky he handled it safely. To boot the ATF was in the store checking paperwork when it happened. They are great guys there and it isn't a bad reflextion on the shop. I'd highly recommend them.

It's ALWAYS loaded, even when it's not.

When they were about 5, my kids were quite clear on that.

If the other person say's the gun's unloaded, it's loaded.

At an exhibition of military "toys" at Devens a couple 4th of Julys back, I instructed my kids on teh right way to check an M-16's chamber. When they picked up another, guarded by a different Marine, my son checked the chamber, ane the guard said, "He shouldn't be playing with that."

"He's checknig to make sure the weapon's safe," I replied.

This at a place where people were pointing a variety of arms at their significant others, and saying, "Hey, honey! Take my picture!"

I hope the person gets well soon! Affordable is a really nice shop.

PELHAM — An employee at a local gun shop was injured when a gun discharged in the store yesterday.

He was injured by the slide, not the bullet, police said. The employee drove himself to the hospital before police arrived about 1 p.m.

http://www.eagletribune.com/punewsnh/local_story_057022817.html
That is the 2nd ND to happen within a year at that place. I am really surprised. Robert and Terry have been in the firearms business for many years and are very responsible guys.

Sounds like the obsolete "press check" technique may have been in use.
Or he may have been unloading using the "hand-over-the-ejection-port, roll-the-shell-into-the-palm" method, and the primer of the chambered round hit the ejector hard enough to discharge the round. Although I've never personally seen this, I've heard the possibility described as the main objection to this method. That might cause an injury as described in the article.

Keep in mind, too, that newspaper articles are notoriously inaccurate with regard to gun details. It's entirely possible that someone came in to buy a gun with a credit card, and that it was charged at 4:50 in the afternoon.

My girlfriend did that one time at KTP. She picked up a 12-gauge Beretta shotgun, shouldered it like it was an RPG-7 (she never held a long gun before) and swung it around haphazardly. I looked up just in time to see the gaping maw of its muzzle pointed at the face of an elderly gentleman. I quickly grabbed the firearm away from her, checked the chamber (thankfully, it was empty) and then gave her a quick lesson in firearms safety. The elderly gentleman smiled as he watched the way that I handled the situation. I was polite but firm.

I know it's just an article and they get things wrong all the time, but it should have said it fired because he PULLED the trigger.

Why do you assume that he pulled the trigger. I have personally experienced semi-automatic firearms discharge without the pulling of a trigger. Malfunctions happen which is why you always point the firearm in a safe direction.

had plenty of sweeps at the range and one ND when someone left a pistol on the bench with a round in and just dropped the mag. Thankfully the person that grabbed the pistol and pulled the trigger had it pointed down range. Scared the crap out of him. Never seen someones face get so white in that short amount of time. Equal was the amount of time it turned red because he didnt check the chamber. Scary when your expecting a CLICK and get a BANG instead.

A few weeks ago a man came into the shop I was visiting and wanted to trade a shotgun in. The clerk picked it up and racked it a few times and the shells came out. The owner said wow...those have been in there for at least 2 years. Never cleared it after the last time I went bird hunting. [rolleyes] I cleared outa there in a hurry as he had 2 pistols for trade as well

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom