One requirement for CCW application in DE...

Has anybody seen this requirement before:

Arrange with a newspaper of general circulation in your County to have your application published once, at least (10) days before the filing of your application with the Court. Obtain an affidavit from the newspaper company stating that this requirement has been met, and attach it to your application. PLEASE NOTE: Newspaper selection must have a circulation of at least 35% of the population in your zip code. Be sure to use your whole name - no initials - and your home address.

Wow!! I saw this here: DE Superior Court

David

kind of defeats the purpose of concealed carry if they make you broadcast it to the entire world. good thing print media is dying, eh? this is insane.

You can't make this sh** up! The said quote wasn't in your link but I confirmed it from elsewhere. They might just as well mandate you put up a 7'x5' lawn sign.

Also, they couldn't quote the word 'deadly' enough. LOL. "...I am desirous of being licensed to carry a concealed DEADLY weapon". You bad man! You are desirous of being deadly. WTF!

I just thought of this the other day: the sad thing about living in such small states (RI and DE) is that the moment you step out of your driveway, you end up in another state. If you're lucky, you can shell out hundreds a year on NR permits, and if you travel to an a-hole neighboring state often, you're essentially forbidden out of CCW by the inconvenience factor.

CCW permits need to be like drivers license: what's good for your home state ought to be good for the union.

Last edited:
They want it to be like a scarlet letter so that people will not want to bother with getting the license. The authorities responsible for this should be wearing tar and feathers at the very least.

Wait, it looks like in DE, there is no CCW, it refers only to CCDW. Carrying a Concealed DEADLY Weapon, has gotta be bad, someone might get hurt. No way I would want one of those! [wink]

Is this for all of DE or just a particular town? Is this standard on the application or something a court added?

Its for the whole state..BUT keep in mind..You may carry a handgun OPENLY in your car/public WITHOUT a permit there...as long are you are 18 and not prohibited from owning a firearm..I heard..but you CANNOT carry in Dover at all without a permit

Here is a link of the process if anyone wants to read..

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum15/5204.html

Last edited:
Newspaper selection must have a circulation of at least 35% of the population in your zip code

I wonder if ANY newspaper qualifies. I do not get any papers anymore.

There are five people in my household and zero papers. But if my house were to get one newspaper delivered, does that count as 1 in circulation numbers or five?

If it were to count as only one... in a neighborhood where everyone's household includes five people... you could have 100% of the households and only 20% of the population.

I wonder how they calc the numbers?

Uhm....is anyone even thinking about the privacy issues? I know for sure that there were things listed on my application that I do not want published in a newspaper. There is certainly enough for identity theft.

That requirement, to me, would seem like an invasion of privacy. It's no one's business what permit I'm applying for. If I wanted a driver's license, do I have to perform the same lunacy? No. If I want a boating license, fishing, or contractor's license is that required? No. Someone is going to challenge this there and I'll be it's overturned.

Deleware.......a State that you NEVER HEAR ANYTHING about......except that's where Biden came from. Figures. I had always thought that Deleware was a neat state to check out, too. Duh.

Rome

I'd carry illegally before I'd comply with something that stupid. Do they really think that criminals can't read newspapers?

CCW permits need to be like drivers license: what's good for your home state ought to be good for the union.

We shouldn't need permits at all, but yes, they should be that way until we pass legislation that recognizes rights. [wink]

They want it to be like a scarlet letter so that people will not want to bother with getting the license. The authorities responsible for this should be wearing tar and feathers at the very least.

Exactly, on both points. Sadly there's a few states like this, and a few newspapers have put up searchable databases on their websites in the past to "Help know who has guns." [angry]

I'd carry illegally before I'd comply with something that stupid. Do they really think that criminals can't read newspapers?

Someone posted a link to one of the newspapers that I mentioned before, where they had a database that would let you search by name or town, any of that. A woman posted a comment on the newspaper's website saying something like "I've had to move three times in the past few years to escape my violently abusive ex boyfriend. Because of this I'll have to move again. Thanks a lot."

Back
Top Bottom