• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

One Month Until the First Annual 80% Day! 7/20/17!

I, Punty, by the authority invested in me by noone, declare July 20th, this year and every year going forward, within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, to be 80% Day!

In 1775, the Patriots did not moan and whine and cry, and pray for judges and bureacrats to restore to them their dignity and right to bear arms. Neither will I!

In fact, I should thank AG Healey for finally motivating me to do what I really should be doing anyway, exercising my 2nd Amendment Right without filling out a bunch of paperwork to be filed in a government computer or folder somewhere, for them to refer to when they decide the 2nd Amendment is a threat to their New America. No! True American rifles and handguns are those that are noone's business but those that own it. Only unregistered guns are rights, registered guns are only a priviledge.

Stop whining! Stop crying! Stop waiting for the government to save your sorry arse! Do the right thing. Buy an 80% lower, or an 80% frame, or an 80% receiver, and do what our forefathers would have done...build your own.

AG Maura Healey bent us over 11 months ago today. It's time to return the favor, this year and every year! It's the American thing to do.

30 days from today, we will celebrate the First Annual 80% Day, with fists held high and proudly clutching our American Paperweights! Join me in purchasing one for yourself! You have the power to make your own AR, your own Glock, your own 1911, and even your own AK! Let's use July 20th as INSPIRATION!

Join me to CELEBRATE 7/20/17! 80% Day!

If you want to support a Massachusetts business to celebrate the Massachusetts holiday, my personal favorite is 5D Tactical. I have their jig and it is amazing. These folks are very good engineers, and we in MA should be proud to have folks like this in our People's Republic.

https://www.5dtactical.com/

I am in no way affiliated, sponsored, or in any way related to them, I am just a fanboy. [smile]

Last edited:
Do people ever ship around jigs? I got an 80% for xmas, have a lathe and a manual bridgeport milling machine in my basement but havent felt like paying the price of 2-3 stripped lowers just for the jig. I've been thinking of doing it all from specs. I'm surprised groups of people havent bought jigs together and then just shipped it back and forth between them.

In fact, I should thank AG Healey for finally motivating me to do what I really should be doing anyway, exercising my 2nd Amendment Right

And I am sure she would return the thanks for giving her the opportunity to abuse her power as Attorney General, score political points and turn thousands of law abiding citizens into yet-to-be prosecuted criminals overnight because they disagree with her political ideology.

I love the idea, but the practicality is a bit different. I've had an 80% for like 2 years now that I've never finished, the costs are just really dang high.

80% receiver: $60
Decent Jig: $150-200
Tooling: ??
Cerakote: $60
Engraving: ??

At some point, and I know its not the point, it just becomes cheaper to go out and buy someone else's AR.

I approve of this holiday.

- - - Updated - - -

I love the idea, but the practicality is a bit different. I've had an 80% for like 2 years now that I've never finished, the costs are just really dang high.

At some point, and I know its not the point, it just becomes cheaper to go out and buy someone else's AR.
Why cerakoting and engraving?

With prices what they are right now, that point has become a lot farther off. If you're in to custom building your AR you may also wind up buying a bunch of overpriced junk (everything except the lower) that you then have to sell off.

Just a couple of observations about your points made here.

1. The jig is a one time expense. Very expensive if you are only going to do one...but you can do several, or rent it, or sell it and recoup a fair amount of money.

2. What price would you put on the privacy of not being on a government registration list? Does that have some dollar value?

Do people ever ship around jigs? I got an 80% for xmas, have a lathe and a manual bridgeport milling machine in my basement but havent felt like paying the price of 2-3 stripped lowers just for the jig. I've been thinking of doing it all from specs. I'm surprised groups of people havent bought jigs together and then just shipped it back and forth between them.

My friends and I will be having a "Jig Party" at someone's house. I will be bringing the jig, someone else brings the beer, someone else the food, someone else a router, etc, etc. It's a BYO80% party....you bring your own 80%'r, everything else you need is there. We are having it mid July. Just seems appropriate.

That way, one jig is available for everyone to use, as well as tools, assistance, and companionship. We'll be cooking ribs and steaks on the grill outside, and cooking up some lowers inside.

It's going to be a lot of fun.

It's been done just as you posted... get X number of people to chip in and cover the cost of
the jig, create an ordered list of 'investors'.
Each 'investor' has X number of days to complete their project and then ship the jig to the
next person on the list, when the last person is finished, have a drawing to determine who
gets to keep the jig.

One just needs to have a certain level of trust and faith of all involved to keep it honest and abide by the rules.

It's been done just as you posted... get X number of people to chip in and cover the cost of
the jig, create an ordered list of 'investors'.
Each 'investor' has X number of days to complete their project and then ship the jig to the
next person on the list, when the last person is finished, have a drawing to determine who
gets to keep the jig.

One just needs to have a certain level of trust and faith of all involved to keep it honest and abide by the rules.
Don't do it with people you don't know well.

Come on man do it from the prints it's not that hard. I can see using a jig if you don't have a mil.

I have a Modulus jig I will lend you if you like. Just PM me.

My small contribution to 80%-ing is to spray a light coat of Peel-Coat on your anodized 80% lower. Protects it from jig marks and peels off when you're done.

Last edited:
Because Al in the white is rather soft. Engraving, I would assume you are drawing a dick pic on your lower because there is no need for anything else.

You'll be the envy of everyone on the firing line...

EDqrb7F.jpg

If it's a life size Dick pic, what do I do with all that extra space?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I machined up a pair of side plates to hold the lower and counted turns to finish a lower - not all that difficult.
And I did it on a Seig X1 micro mill so a bridgeport would be infinitely easier.

Some thoughts on legality and practicality.

If you can get an unmarked 80% lower for cash then it would be up to MA to prove that it was completed after 7/20/16. That might make some sense, but if you write about it on the Internet, then you are an idiot.

In most cases, if you do not intend to break the law, then an 80% lower is useless. Unless you are looking for the satisfaction of doing work yourself.

If you are ok with a record of your purchase existing, like everyone who has contributed to this thread, then mentioning that you have completed it and built it into a gun is not too smart.

One other thing. Completing the receiver is legal in MA , since it then becomes a firearm per the ATF but not per MA.

If you are ok with breaking the law and want to simply get a lower that the Government doesn't know you have for as little money as possible, then just go to a NH, RI, ME, or VT gun show and buy one for cash. With the glut of AR lowers, you could probably get one for $60. (this is in violation of Federal law if you are a MA resident. Its perfectly legal if you are a NH, RI, ME, or VT resident and buy the gun in your home state. Remember that you are a ligitimate NH resident if you have a weekend place up there. Even if its a trailer)

If you, like me, have too much to lose, you will simply pay for a pre 2016 ban gun.

Again, I'm not advocating anyone break the law. Everyone just needs to know their options. And too often the option of simply buying an AR privately in a state that doesn't require background checks for private transfers, is overlooked.

So in summary. If you want an 80% lower for the satisfaction of building a gun as well as maybe the coolness factor of a gun that can legally not have a serial number, then go for it. But if you simply want to own an off the books AR, its not the best way.

Don

Last edited:
I certainly respect and appreciate your view, Don, but I disagree.

I see nothing tin the AG's enforcement notice regarding purchaing 80%'rs, nor do I see anything in the enforcement latter regarding building firearms.

I see and understand that the AG chose not to enforce her interpretation for firearms purchased prior to 7/20/17, but she can change her mind any time at all.

Therefore, there really is little to no difference between owning a pre-2016 lower or AR, and building one from an 80% that you buy today. There is no sale of a firearms involved whatsoever.

In fact, it is likely that purchasing a pre-2016 lower is considered more illegal than just buying an 80%. It would certainly be a lot easier to charge and convict.

Lastly, the fact that Massachusetts companies are actively manufacturing and selling 80% lowers currently, without prosecution or charges, would seem to indicate that yoru interpretation differs from AG Healey's interpretation.

If you, like me, have too much to lose, you will simply pay for a pre 2016 ban gun.

(To be clear, since now it has been brought up I've already built the ARs I want and am on to other projects. Even if I did want another I would just build another upper and use one of my existing lowers. Were I to actually want to build 80%s I would also not post about it online.)

If you have a lot to lose, I don't know that I would consider the 2016 date a valid date to work off. There is nothing approaching clarity or even legality regarding that date. You would also want to obtain proof that it is pre-not-really-a-legal-ban-but-legislation-by-reinterpretation-moonbats-healy-stupid-wtf.

Were I to look for another AR lower receiver in this state, I would go pre-94. I purchased my lowers pre 7/20 and am comfortable enough with those, but at this point I certainly don't have a lot of trust in the state's legal system not to **** over people who are trying to do the right thing. Then again, the next logical step for me is NFA anyway. It will be a while before I go that route.

Last edited:
If it's not legislated, it's not law. That's my professional opinion as a Constitutionalist. Liberty is the power to say "I will not comply". This American says "No" to law in Massachusetts being whatever the whims and fancies of the ruling class say it is. At the very least, at a very minimum, law should derive from legislation, else this is no longer a republic.

Had the Minutemen and patriots of 1775 been law abiding citizens, they would never have been free. They understood the difference between legislation and edicts, and what to do about it.

It's a dark path we are walking if we accept arbitrary edicts as law, without legislation, without due process, without recourse. That's what "Divine Right if Kings" was all about.

Excellent pragmatic advice. Like you I have too much to lose. However it is 100% legal, even in Mass., to own an untouched 80% lower and the tools to finish it.

Some thoughts on legality and practicality.

If you can get an unmarked 80% lower for cash then it would be up to MA to prove that it was completed after 7/20/16. That might make some sense, but if you write about it on the Internet, then you are an idiot.

In most cases, if you do not intend to break the law, then an 80% lower is useless. Unless you are looking for the satisfaction of doing work yourself.

If you are ok with a record of your purchase existing, like everyone who has contributed to this thread, then mentioning that you have completed it and built it into a gun is not too smart.

One other thing. Completing the receiver is legal in MA , since it then becomes a firearm per the ATF but not per MA.

If you are ok with breaking the law and want to simply get a lower that the Government doesn't know you have for as little money as possible, then just go to a NH, RI, ME, or VT gun show and buy one for cash. With the glut of AR lowers, you could probably get one for $60. (this is in violation of Federal law if you are a MA resident. Its perfectly legal if you are a NH, RI, ME, or VT resident and buy the gun in your home state. Remember that you are a ligitimate NH resident if you have a weekend place up there. Even if its a trailer)

Again, I'm not advocating anyone break the law. Everyone just needs to know their options. And too often the option of simply buying an AR privately in a state that doesn't require background checks for private transfers, is overlooked.

So in summary. If you want an 80% lower for the satisfaction of building a gun as well as maybe the coolness factor of a gun that can legally not have a serial number, then go for it. But if you simply want to own an off the books AR, its not the best way.

Don

Because Al in the white is rather soft.

7075-T6 is not soft by any stretch of the imagination and even if it were, cerakote is not going to change that.

NE shooters members collectively own a couple of jigs from the winter group buy debacle from a few years back. Last I knew golddiggy (sp) was the caretaker of them. Contact him to find out where they are now.

Back
Top Bottom