Old Luger with no paperwork

Old Luger with no paperwork *updated with pictures*

My grandfather has an old (pre 1940) Luger that he inherited from his father years ago, and since then has just kept it hidden in his basement. He wants to give me the gun, but he has no paperwork what so ever for it, and his FID expired years ago. I have my LTC, but I don't know how to legally take ownership of it. How can I legally transfer the gun from him to me?

Last edited:
Since you have your LTC, simply take possession of the gun, then fill out an FA-10. Check the "Registration" box in the upper left-hand corner and leave the "Seller" section blank.

Since you have your LTC, simply take possession of the gun, then fill out an FA-10. Check the "Registration" box in the upper left-hand corner and leave the "Seller" section blank.

That was the exact advice proffered by a late police chief I knew back many years ago wrt a similar situation.

That is certainly the way to do it IF you both live in Mass. If gramps is from out of state...more complicated.

That is certainly the way to do it IF you both live in Mass. If gramps is from out of state...more complicated.

Since laxflier mentioned that his grandfather's "FID" expired years ago, I assumed that he is a MA resident. But I guess you are right - he could have moved out of state since then.

Enjoy that luger...they're a blast to shoot! I'd only use lower power ammo in it though... something like Winchester white box(if you can find any)

No no no, all bad advise so far. You should take possession of the gun, give it directly to someone who has one and knows the Luger inside and out, and I, I mean, ahem, that person will take good care of it. [smile]

Cool hand me down. If it's really old, it may be a .30 Luger, instead of a 9mm. In that case it would be a DWM, not Mauser.

Yes please post pics once you aquire it!

Just picked up the Luger today, I haven't really tried to ID it yet, but here are a bunch of pictures added for your viewing pleasure. If anyone is good at ID-ing Lugers and can tell me a little about it from my pics, I would love to here it!

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

You've got a DWM (Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken) "Imperial" Luger made in 1915. Looks to be in fine shape for a 94-yr old gun! I don't know much about Luger holsters but yours looks original.

If you're going to send in an FA-10 form on that gun, or log it into a C&R book, make sure you add the letter suffix into the serial #. So you'd put "6420H".

45collector is right on with the complete serial being 6420h.
Does the lever show "20", too ? That's not clearly visible on the pics.

BTW, your Luger was born very close to one of mine; I own 3292h, same
block of 9,999 pistols made by DWM in 1915.

The holster is marked for an Engineer unit (Pi. for "Pionier"). Does the pistol show this or another unit mark on the front grip strap ?
Does the small inner pouch still contain the tool (looks like an odd screwdriver) ?
Given that the stitching is still strong and no damage on the holster, this alone would easily sell for $ 300+ on this side of the pond.
The rig is a keeper !

Just out of curiosity (and a lack of knowledge about the value/practicality of Lugers), do you guys think it would be crazy to go to the range with this gun? I have no intentions of ever selling it since it is a family gun, and would possibly like to put a few rounds through it. Any suggestions? Please give me your honest opinions.

Clean and lube it throroughly, use a moderate load (125 grs FMJ @ max. 1,050 fps) and you're fine to go.
If you want to be on the safe side, change the (matching) extractor and firing pin against spares before shooting. Extractors are known to be a bit weak and it would be a pity if the matching one breaks.

He didn't know of one, but my great-grandfather did come over from Germany after WWI, so I would imagine that he brought it with him when he came to America. I'm not sure if he served in the German Army during the war or if he picked it up surplus afterward, I will have to try and figure that out.

Back
Top Bottom