Old lady points gun at police and gets whats coming

article

Yikes! This old lady wasn't messing around. She's dead and still didn't answer the questions!

A 67-year-old Yuba City woman was shot and killed by officers when she pointed a shotgun at them and refused to put it down, Yuba City police said Friday.

Victoria Helen Roger-Vasselin was pronounced dead late Thursday at her home at 764 Mariner Loop in an affluent neighborhood on the city’s far south side.

An autopsy Friday showed she died of “multiple gunshot wounds,” said Sutter County Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Brenda Baker.

A neighbor reported hearing five or six shots.

Roger-Vasselin was the sister of the late Thomas E. Mathews, a Yuba County judge and district attorney who died in 2005.

“They shot her dead,” Roger-Vasselin’s distraught son, Christian Biscotti, said outside the house Friday morning.

“I think she was just startled” by late visits to her home, he said.

Before Biscotti could say more, a relative or family friend took him by the arm and led him inside, shutting the door.

Officers went to the Mariner Loop home after receiving a call at 9:04 p.m. about weapons being brandished, according to a police incident log. In a press release, police did not say exactly when the shooting happened.

Police scanner traffic indicated the shooting happened about 10:20 p.m.

A U.S. Census worker “had been confronted by residents who pointed a firearm at the worker and said they would not answer any questions and closed the door,” said police spokeswoman Shawna Pavey.

When two male officers arrived, 51-year-old Lionel Craig Patterson answered the door, armed with a handgun, police said. “As officers were dealing with the male, a female approached the door with a shotgun and ignored officers’ orders to release the weapon. As the female advanced on officers, she continued to point the shotgun at officers in a threatening manner and the two officers fired their service weapons, hitting the female,” the police report said.

Both officers fired their guns, said Pavey, adding she didn’t believe Roger-Vasselin or Patterson fired.

Both officers were uniformed and clearly identifiable as police, Pavey said.

Toxicology tests will determine if alcohol or drugs were a factor in the incident, Pavey said.

Sonny Le, regional spokesman for the U.S. Census Bureau, offered a different version of events. The female census taker knocked on the door at 7:45 p.m. about 25 minutes before sunset when workers are supposed to quit. The Roger-Vasselin home was the last one on her list before she went home, he said.

Patterson answered the door and first talked with the census taker, Le said.

“The visit was quite routine” until Roger-Vasselin approached with a gun, he said.

The census taker immediately left and called her supervisor. It was 9:04 p.m. when police were called, after news of the incident traveled up the Census Bureau’s chain of command, Le said.

Le called the incident especially tragic because the census taker, like Roger-Vasselin, is a Yuba City resident.

Patterson was arrested on suspicion of assault with a weapon on a police officer and was being held without bail Friday in Sutter County Jail.

The officers have been placed on routine administrative leave while the Sutter County District Attorney’s Office determines if the shooting was justified. District Attorney Carl Adams said he did not yet have all the facts.

A neighbor, Bob Dhaliwal, said he was in bed when he heard people, including one woman, shouting and yelling, followed by five or six shots. When he came outside, officers with guns drawn had the male suspect on the ground, then took him away in a patrol car, he said.

“All I saw was him being arrested. I assumed he shot somebody,” Dhaliwal said.

Patterson lives at the same address. Pavey and neighbors said it wasn’t clear what the relationship was between him and Roger-Vasselin.

Dhaliwal and other neighbors said they didn’t know Roger-Vasselin well.

“She kept to herself,” Dhaliwal said.

One neighbor, who declined to give her name, described Roger-Vasselin as “pleasant but reserved,” almost reclusive.

“She was much more social when she first moved in. The economy was better then,” the neighbor said.

Neighbors said they had also received nighttime visits from a female census worker.

Roger-Vasselin owned the house for about three years, but rented it for about six months while she worked in Hawaii, returning to Yuba City six to nine months ago, the neighbor said.

When her mother, Lillian Mathews-Crumrine, died in 1998, Roger-Vasselin lived in Kauai, Hawaii.

When Roger-Vasselin’s brother died in 2005, she was living in San Francisco. Then 63 and a regional membership executive at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, she was one four employees involved in an age-discrimination lawsuit against the Marriott Corp.

your title is quite misleading.
she was shot because she pointed a gun at the police not because she wouldn't answer the census question

Isn't 7:45 a bit late to be visiting people's houses? My kids are getting in bed at 7:30, I certainly don't want uninvited guests that late.

That being said, aiming at the police officers is not a wise idea.

Isn't 7:45 a bit late to be visiting people's houses? My kids are getting in bed at 7:30, I certainly don't want uninvited guests that late.

As the article said, her house was the last on the census taker's list for the night and it is their policy to stop by sundown (which was apparently around 8:10 that night). Obviously it may be inconvenient but it's their job to at least try and get the information and with people's work hours their timeframe is limited. Obviously we only have the article to go by but it's sad that so many things could have prevented this from the woman mailing in a census form to answering questions to complying with the police. An unfortunate event, certainly, but with what has been presented so far I can unfortunately only come to the conclusion that in the end it was her own doing.

Census guy stopped by my house at 8:30 PM last week.

Sorry, but thier was another option, the police in thier power trip to dominate (follow my orders or else), decided to take the life of a 67 year old woman, instead of retreating to a safe location, calling for back up to secure the scene and asking for a negotiater to help diffuse the situation.

Having worked with the elderly for sometime, in HER mind there was a threat, and she was going to defend herself. She acted in poor judment in our definition, but I would be willing to bet there was some type if issue that obscured her judment, and I do believe that if officers had made an attempt to "remove the threat" in her mind, this could have had a much better outcome.

Sorry, but thier was another option, the police in thier power trip to dominate (follow my orders or else), decided to take the life of a 67 year old woman, instead of retreating to a safe location, calling for back up to secure the scene and asking for a negotiater to help diffuse the situation.

Having worked with the elderly for sometime, in HER mind there was a threat, and she was going to defend herself. She acted in poor judment in our definition, but I would be willing to bet there was some type if issue that obscured her judment, and I do believe that if officers had made an attempt to "remove the threat" in her mind, this could have had a much better outcome.

A Person points a gun at a person, and any mental (in)stability the person may have goes away IMHO. An explanation of "they were mentally ill or very disturbed" will not make the loss of a family member any easier, or excuse it. A life is a life, and if a person IGNORES orders to put down a shotgun, I would expect nothing less than that to be a threat and the person threatened to act accordingly. This coming from a Special Educator.

Amazing how all but one reply to this thread bought the "official" story hook line and sinker? Funny how the dangerous woman with the shot gun, aimed at the police, never fired a shot? It took five to six hits to stop a 67yo woman from harming police? Sounds like there's much more to come on this story. I'm waiting for the forensics to come back and testimony of witness to be published before I render my opinion.

This!

do you REALLY think these 2 officers just said "hey, wouldn't it be cool if we offed this old lady?!" Maybe they were in a room and had no where to go. maybe she fired a shot, there could be hundreds of factors. so you can STFU with your power trip/ maybe more police departments should hire experts like you to tell them how to do it right.

it's quite common knowledge. if you point a gun at an officer, expect him to respond in kind.... and just because she was 67, don't automatically assume she was not in her right mind.
just a tragic situation... everyone loses all the way around

Amazing how all but one reply to this thread bought the "official" story hook line and sinker? Funny how the dangerous woman with the shot gun, aimed at the police, never fired a shot? It took five to six hits to stop a 67yo woman from harming police? Sounds like there's much more to come on this story. I'm waiting for the forensics to come back and testimony of witness to be published before I render my opinion.

A shotgun still aimed at someone is still a threat, and one where you cannot read into the future to see if the woman is about to pull the trigger or not. Would you wait to find out if you are going to make it home to your family?

I would bet that the first shots took her out, but I would not want to wait and see so I would continue to fire. Also you aim a gun at cops and refuse to put it down you are asking to get dead. no need to shoot first!!!!!

Anyone willing to fire a shot to stop potential harm coming to themselves is certainly willing to fire 3.
3 shots from each of 2 cops is what I would expect.

it's quite common knowledge. if you point a gun at an officer, expect him to respond in kind

And if you sit on your motorcycle with out a gun you get shot in the back. Thats quite common knowledge too.

The article states they were at the door.

And I believe there are a few police officers that could benefit in training with me.

Too many missing pieces on this one. Multiple screw ups on all parts resulted in this ladies death.

Why did she not drop the shotgun when asked? Why didn't the cops retreat? Did these people really feel they needed to arm themselves for the census worker?

More to come of this.

To me in my mind, we must do something about these uninvited guests to our home. I think the cops where way of line.

Most misleading thread title ever

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I don't think that she got shot for refusing to answer the census. Perhaps pointing that shotgun at police had something to do with the outcome.

Last edited:
Woman [STRIKE]Refused To Answer Census Questions[/STRIKE] Points Shotgun At Police, Shot Dead By Police

Fixed that title for you, AK.

I love armchair quarterbacks like you. Do you know the exact layout of the area where the officers were confronted? Do you know exactly what her body language was as she was pointing the gun at the cops? Do you know if her finger was on the trigger/off the trigger? Do you know if she was yelling anything at the officers such as "I'll f***ing kill you cops!" or "would you like to come in for tea and cookies?" No, you don't, so shadap with your BS "thier (sic) was another option".

+1 you come to my door after 8pm I better know you.

Show me one person on this forum who doesn't advocate shooting anybody who points a gun at them in a threatening manner. If this were a civilian neighbor you would be calling him a hero for defending himself against a crazy lady.
Last time I looked there was no magic retreat button that could get LEO out of there faster than a 1200fps load of shot.

Back
Top Bottom