• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Okay 30 round with no other markings-pre ban or no?

Help. I'm not at all savvy on the ban mag IDing.

Going through my metal mags this morning sorting out what I wanted to trash or keep, I came across a 30 round OKay mag with no other markings other than the baseplate. Has a black plastic follower, and no date stamps external or internal.

Is it pre-ban or not? Everything I have seen today either here or elsewhere points solidly at MAYBE.

IMG_1526.jpg IMG_1527.jpg IMG_1528.jpg

Okay Industries 30-Round Mags
-------
Okay Industries is a current US Military contractor, and is the subcontractor that manufactures all Colt-marked AR-15 magazines. They also sell magazines under their own name, identical except for the floorplate stamping. Early mags had black plastic followers; mags made since 1992 had green "anti-tilt" followers. Made from late 1970s-present. Floorplates stamped:

(Okay Logo) INDUSTRIES,
INC.
NEW HAVEN, CONN. U.S.A.

-------
Okay Industries is a current US Military contractor, and is the subcontractor that manufactures all Colt-marked AR-15 magazines. They also sell magazines under their own name, identical except for the floorplate stamping. Early mags had black plastic followers; mags made since 1992 had green "anti-tilt" followers. Made from late 1970s-present. Floorplates stamped:

(Okay Logo) INDUSTRIES,
INC.
NEW HAVEN, CONN. U.S.A.

Thanks. I've read that one. This one is stamped New Britain, CONN

Well we know it was not made during the ban years or it would have markings on it saying LEO only or some such. So was OKAY still making them after the AWB sunsetted and where were they based?

Going through my metal mags this morning sorting out what I wanted to trash or keep, I came across a 30 round OKay mag with no other markings other than the baseplate. Has a black plastic follower, and no date stamps external or internal.

Is it pre-ban or not? Everything I have seen today either here or elsewhere points solidly at MAYBE.

View attachment 396081View attachment 396082View attachment 396083

Most likely preban. There were both black and light green followers made for contracts before the ban. And the black followers predate the light green followers.

Basically, there is no way to identify it as post-ban though.

Well we know it was not made during the ban years or it would have markings on it saying LEO only or some such. So was OKAY still making them after the AWB sunsetted and where were they based?

Still active and they make medical equipment too.:cool:

Most likely preban. There were both black and light green followers made for contracts before the ban. And the black followers predate the light green followers.

Basically, there is no way to identify it as post-ban though.

The black follower is what makes me think it is Pre. Of course anyone can replace a follower, but I doubt this one has been replaced. I forgot where I acquired this one from.

View attachment 396081View attachment 396082View attachment 396083

I'll save you from worry and put a few bucks in your pocket if you're close to Nashua.

Your mag is definitely in the “most likely pre ban but cannot guarantee it” category. The black follower supports it being pre ban, but those are easily swapped. No date stamp points to it being pre ban OR post pan. The base plate seems to add tot he confusion as OKay mags usually have an internal stamp (also easily swapped). Maybe it is a really early OKay? No way to prove one way or the other.

Last edited:
If you care this much about "pweeban" BS, the solution is easy, sell the mag to someone that doesn't.

See that is why I posted. I'm not in a ban state, but I have some spare mags that I was going to sell. Some are easily identifiable as preban and some are not. Unlike some, I don't want to describe something I'm selling incorrectly. I guess I'll just hold onto this one or toss it in the trash to free up the space.

-------

(Okay Logo) INDUSTRIES,
INC.
NEW HAVEN, CONN. U.S.A.
Actually Okay Industries has been making AR mags since 1968 . . . info directly from from a phone conversation that I had back in 2011 with the VP of Okay Industries.

I have some mags exactly like that, mags that I purchased during the Clinton Ban years.

If one were to believe the CT Sec. of State info (click on URL), it looks like they were in New Britain in 1988.

See that is why I posted. I'm not in a ban state, but I have some spare mags that I was going to sell. Some are easily identifiable as preban and some are not. Unlike some, I don't want to describe something I'm selling incorrectly. I guess I'll just hold onto this one or toss it in the trash to free up the space.
"Okay industries, unmarked mag. " ding, fries done.

I would ditch the follower and install a Magpul anti-tilt and replace the spring. I would replace the floorplate, and paint it as well and rock that som biach... You don't have to prove your innocence, they have to prove your guilt... Remember that! That magazine is a Vietnam era mag and just because you replace worn parts with new does not change that.

I would ditch the follower and install a Magpul anti-tilt and replace the spring. I would replace the floorplate, and paint it as well and rock that som biach... You don't have to prove your innocence, they have to prove your guilt... Remember that! That magazine is a Vietnam era mag and just because you replace worn parts with new does not change that.
Curious question:

Why replace a floorplate unless it is damaged? Especially when it does provide some visible evidence of pre-ban status? [I know that the law states that gov't has to prove guilt, but that really is NOT how it works in practice if you count legal expenses, arrest record that never goes away, and biased DAs/judges, jobs that may terminate you regardless of innocence, etc.]

The way springs work, it is really unlikely that all old mags need spring replacements either. A quick study on how springs lose their tension should back my statement up. One source: Spring Durability & Spring Fatigue | European Springs

Makes no sense to toss a perfectly good mag, especially since you aren't even in a ban state. If you're intent on getting rid of it for whatever reason, list it for sale as is. Either make no mention of pre or post ban status, or state that the status is unknown. Let the buyer decide if they want it or not.

Curious question:

Why replace a floorplate unless it is damaged? Especially when it does provide some visible evidence of pre-ban status? [I know that the law states that gov't has to prove guilt, but that really is NOT how it works in practice if you count legal expenses, arrest record that never goes away, and biased DAs/judges, jobs that may terminate you regardless of innocence, etc.]

The way springs work, it is really unlikely that all old mags need spring replacements either. A quick study on how springs lose their tension should back my statement up. One source: Spring Durability & Spring Fatigue | European Springs

I just like floor plates that have handles or loops on them to facilitate pulling out of a mag pouch.

Back
Top Bottom