Oh yeah, my kind of forum, collecting is in my blood

First Off: Collecting is in my blood.

Some people collect stamps... pez dispensers... cans of oil... I collected paintball guns: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/collection3.0/collection.cgi?action=list

So now, I'm finally, and seriously looking to get into my love of guns... the real ones. I've looked into collecting the "gear" right along with the period guns, but I must say, I'm just overwhelmed with the amount out there.

Honestly. I don't know where to start.

I've looked into WWII (American Only) guns and gear to start.... But not only are they expensive, but hard to get, and most of the guns are 01 FFL anyhow. Which I'll buy once I move into my new house and settle in, but dang, hard to find.

Then I looked into maybe the Civil War... Prices are high, but they seem easier to find (Depending sometimes).

So I guess my question is... Does anyone have any good ideas on where to start? So many guns... so little time.

carter said:
Honestly. I don't know where to start.

*mystic sensei mode on* The question is the answer, grasshopper... what guns do you want to collect? *mystic sensei mode off*

OK, seriously... sounds like you need to figure out what you want to target first. Sounds to me like you're getting hung up on prices without really knowing yet what you want.

I haven't started my rifle collection yet... but I have a list of what I'm looking for when the $$ becomes available. So if I were you, I'd make that list. Then keep a look out for good examples of what's on the list. So figure out what interests you most and start writing.

Here's my suggestion as to "Where to Start".

First Thing - Process for a C&R FFL.

Next item - Look into a couple of CMP guns, before they become unobtanium. Suggest first priority to be a Springfield, and right after that an M1 Garand. Right now they can be had for $400 each, if in stock.

Then - Flesh out your collection with other WW2 (you've stated it as an interest to you) firearms from other countries. A couple of Mosin Nagants should be at the top of that list, since they're dirt cheap (under $100) and available.

My interests started with Vietnam era vintage firearms. I've expanded to other time frames due to opportunity to purchase some of those firearms (like the 1917 Colt Revolver that I picked up reasonable).

Hey I always like the Mosin Nagant as a nice starter Mil Surplus. They're easy to find, they're dirt cheap...ammo is cheap and easy to find.

And frankly I friggin love them...and haven't met anybody else who'd argue with me! 8)

Plus they're UGLY, in a good way!

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

I like my guns like I like my women..... Hot and sexy.... [wink]

The only exception is I also like my guns clean, but I like my women dirty. [twisted]

derek said:
I like my guns like I like my women..... Hot and sexy.... [wink]

The only exception is I also like my guns clean, but I like my women dirty. [twisted]

I'm NOT going to say ANYthing.... ....except maybe all guns are sexy to me, but NOT all men. :D

(And yes Ross, I saw your P90....I still stand by my statement [lol] )

Dirigo, seems you found 7.62X54R.net! Great site isn't it?

I love it!

Personally I find Glocks to be homely as a bag of a**h***s....they're ugly in a bad way.

Now Commie-made guns....they're NEVER pritty, and I haven't seen one I didn't like yet! [lol]

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Mosins are inexpensive enough. The problem is that Carter did not specify rifles - he just said guns. Perhaps he meant handguns as well, or instead?
JT

My first was an AK47. It was cool. Then the more I looked at M1 Garands, the better I liked them, that and my Dad carried one in WW2. I had to have one so I ordered one from the CMP.

At that point I decided to try and get one each of the major US weapons from post Civil War up.

I got a .45-70 trapdoor Springfield,
then a couple of 1898 .30-40 Krag Sprinfields
then a 1903a3
then a 1917
then an M1 Carbine
then a 1927 Thompson
Then a 1911a1 .45 pistol.
I need a regular 1903, that'll come soon. Then an M14 clone. Still don't have an AR clone. Had my eye on a Remington rolling block but that wasn't to be.

Then I figured it would be nice to try and get one each of the major world powers rifles.

Along came a 1888 GEW commission rifle
then an Enfield Nr4
then a M38 Mosin Nagant
then a M39 Finn Mosin Nagant
Then an SKS
then a T99 Arisaka.

I need a good Mauser98 and a 91/30 Mosin, but those will come.

Unfortunately, I have very little will power and I got all the above in less than 2 years, closer to one !

I have to slow down other wise I'll be out of stuff to buy and money to do it with. After I get the ones listed, I've decide to get older items and into muskets.

After checking around, this type of collection (war weapons over a given period) is pretty common. You might take that approach.

Back
Top Bottom