• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Officials: Boston suspect had no firearm when barrage of bullets hit hiding place

-1, Mike. Accountability is #1. This attitude of "meh, just shoot over that way <waves hand in a direction>" and saying it's ok for cops, is bullshit.

I'd be more OK with it if the BG actually had a gun, but he didn't. nor did he even fire at them. I should have phrased my comment within that context. This is what I get for posting while sleep deprived, though.

If you or I engaged an unarmed guy in a boat we'd be in jail, whether or not our shots hit the target or not.

Makes me wonder if the cop that got shot got hit by friendly fire....

I still have no idea how or where that MBTA cop got hit. The media reports are vague at best, unless they came out and clarified it. If he was at the boat festival though, the crappy marksmanship might lend itself to an ND, etc.

-Mike

I heard this morning that it was a cop on the third floor of the next doors house that fired at him first cause he thought he had an explosive devise. So when that happend the other cops thought he was firing at them and opened fire on the boat.

it is always good to fire at explosives in a residential neighborhood

just so full of fail all around

it is always good to fire at explosives in a residential neighborhood

Why does everyone keep bringing this up? Are we assuming the BG is wearing bottles of tannerite? That would be pretty fun, though.

-Mike

Why does everyone keep bringing this up? Are we assuming the BG is wearing bottles of tannerite? That would be pretty fun, though.

-Mike
I was replying to a post that claimed an officer fired because of seeing an explosive device

Did anyone innocent get hit by bullets? Not saying it's not dangerous for them to do what they did, but at some point we have to draw a line on pant crapping.

-Mike

Technically...no. But I heard one terrified woman being interviewed, and she said she was lying on the floor in her foyer, not able to go anywhere, when she saw a bullet go through the door above her head. It could have been a worse outcome than it was.

I am not saying the cops should put their life at risk to apprehend this ahole. But they had IR imaging of exactly where he was, and that boat hull was not bullet proof. One rifle and 3 well placed shots and it is time for the fat lady to sing.

At least they wer shooting at the right person and didn't burn down the neighborhood. I hear LAPD settled for $4.2mil with the Mexican ladies delivering newspapers in the wrong make/model truck during the Dorner hunt.

At least they wer shooting at the right person and didn't burn down the neighborhood. I hear LAPD settled for $4.2mil with the Mexican ladies delivering newspapers in the wrong make/model truck during the Dorner hunt.

Like the LAPD cared. Wasn't thier money.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

That's the thing, they didn't know at the time they had the right person, and apparently that person did not fire on them. So the only difference between this and the truck shoot during the Dorner hunt is that they were lucky it was the right person. Granted, given the circumstances it was likely to be the guy they were looking for... but it could have been some kids hiding in the boat, or a petty thief hiding out because he was robbing garages and sheds during the lockdown.

That's the thing, they didn't know at the time they had the right person, and apparently that person did not fire on them. So the only difference between this and the truck shoot during the Dorner hunt is that they were lucky it was the right person. Granted, given the circumstances it was likely to be the guy they were looking for... but it could have been some kids hiding in the boat, or a petty thief hiding out because he was robbing garages and sheds during the lockdown.

True. Good points.

The LE contingent for the entire region got too worked up for their own good.

Let's face it. One of their own had just been gunned down by the humanoids that had successfully perpetrated the most spectacular act of violence (and therefore most effective act of terrorism) in this country since 9/11...and got away.

Going full storm trooper at that point was just a natural progression.

I'm actually surprised that Joker Tzarnaev survived at all.

Agreed. Could have been a homeowner that the suspect shot and dumped in there

I want to know how some of them missed the boat. How do you miss a boat?

I've been through two police academies and have been through many annual qualifications. Trust me, about 50% of cops can't shoot the wall of a barn if they are inside it.

I've been through two police academies and have been through many annual qualifications. Trust me, about 50% of cops can't shoot the wall of a barn if they are inside it.

Preaching to the choir. I've had to coach many of my wife's co-workers over the years. The majority were more concerned about losing their "gun money". Ironically, this money was given to them in order to pay for ammo and range time/membership. Cops are the hardest people to teach how to shoot. They are cops and by virtue of their job, think they know it all.

Preaching to the choir. I've had to coach many of my wife's co-workers over the years. The majority were more concerned about losing their "gun money". Ironically, this money was given to them in order to pay for ammo and range time/membership. Cops are the hardest people to teach how to shoot. They are cops and by virtue of their job, think they know it all.

Gun money? What the hell is that? :D:D

I'm just waiting for a Mark Wahlburg interview where he says how he would have stopped the bombings if he was there. You know, because he "grew up in the mean streets of Doahchestah".

Sent while wearing nothing but my tiny red wrestling tights.

As far as I am concerned failure to qual, you get two more range sessions, then suspension pending termination as unfit for duty, or take a admin job and loss of police certification and pay cut. If there is a job available.
Forced retirement, pension and I get to keep all of my retired LEO privs?

"Gee, I dunno why I can't seem to hit anything lately, chief :-( "

Officials: Boston suspect had no firearm when barrage of bullets hit hiding pla

Also: if you're aiming down the street at someone, and there are bullet holes in 2nd story apartments off the side of the street, you're doing it .

They might have thought the boat shoot was an NES sponsored event?

Seriously though, bullets do funny things after hitting a target. A lousy 9mm will pass through 2 car doors and keep on going. I imagine a .223 will also.

Last edited:
Termination as unfit for duty generally means forfeiture of your pension. Dismissal under other than honorable conditions and being unable to qualify means no carry under LEOSA.
Oh. Damn. There goes that plan.

I'll have to fall down a flight of stairs and hurt my back or develop some PTSD or something instead.

Oh, and become a cop first. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom