Officially started my Mosin Naggant collection last night

A German K98 will also turn heads on the range, but I admit nothing I've seen beats a M44 on the line. I had one old veteran see me lock in a round, then turn to the crowd with him, "That's a K98; plug your ears, this will be loud."

MS

Things like this get me wondering. What kind of ear protection was used back in the days of WWII, Vietnam, Korea, etc? What do our troops use in todays modern arenas?

Last edited:
Things like this get me wondering. What kind of ear protection was used back in the days of WWII, Vietnam, Korea, etc? What do our troops use in todays modern arenas?

did they even have anything to protect their ears in WWII, from all the stock footage of the war i've seen i haven't noticed anything other than the tank crews...it would explain why a lot of my friends grandfathers were hard of hearing

I shot my first Mosin at the Mansfield shoot on Saturday. What a joy. Definitely going to have to pick one up sometime..

As a side question, how accurate can you expect the run-of-the-mill Mosins to be? The cheap $150 ones... I've heard if you want a truly accurate Mosin to pick up a Finn, but they seem to go for more money. Can you shoot at 200 yards with a regular 91/30?

As a side question, how accurate can you expect the run-of-the-mill Mosins to be? The cheap $150 ones... I've heard if you want a truly accurate Mosin to pick up a Finn, but they seem to go for more money. Can you shoot at 200 yards with a regular 91/30?

The 91/30 ex-Dragoon Mosin I was shooting at Mansfield is my most accurate out of all my Russian Mosins. I can group very well with it at 100 yards for a surplus bolt action made in 1923 and had no problem popping clays shooting off hand at the Mansfield line using cheap Bulgarian surplus ammo.

Of course some rifles will shoot better than others and on more than one occasion I've heard of someone getting a ratty looking relic that outshoots their best modern bolt actions. Its luck of the draw really.

If you look at some sites, you can find info on bore and crown condition. This will sometimes help you get a great shooter, but than again I've seen rifles that look mint and shoot like crap.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, these are battle rifles designed to hit a man sized target at 100 yards or greater. Just about 95% of the surplus rifles out there are capable of doing this, but sometimes you find one that with a certain type of ammo will shoot incredible groups.

To answer the last part of your question, I've heard of plenty of people hitting a 300 yard steel plate with their Mosins on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom