• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Officially started my Mosin Naggant collection last night

Got home from work and had a suspiciously long package from UPS waiting in my living room. I tore into that thing like a fat kid into a birthday cake!

I was surprised at the lac of cosmoline of it. There was hardly any! Almost like the store I bought it from cleaned it before sending it.

I gave her a good scrub down anyway and promptly stunk up my place with Hoppes solvent.

Took it to the range today and stopped by Four Seasons to pick up some ammo. Put 40 rounds through it and I have been rotating ice packs out of the freezer since I got home. [smile]

What a fun rifle to shoot. Has such a different recoil feel than any of my deer rifles. Also seems to have much more of a BOOM than the crack of my other rifles too. The only problem is that it seems to have difficulty feeding the last round. The nose of the bullet wants to dip back down into the box magazine instead of raising up into the chamber. Any ideas? Also, can someone direct me to a page that explains what all the pieces are to the accessory kits, especially that tin can looking thing.

The rifle has the year 1942 stamped on it and the whole time I was at the range I kept wondering how many Nazis this particular rifle has taken down over its career.

Can't wait to get back to the range tomorrow and plow through the rest of the 80 rounds I bought for it.

Now time to go play some COD.

Last edited:
tin can is a oil can, pouches are for ammo loaded on strip clips and what ever else they decided to throw in there. Good going on the rifle!!!! I turned the young shooter who works with me onto the nagants "WTF" was his response on that 1st shot. Try shooting it at night or just before dark. It has a nice flash. If I did not have Garanditis or CZ82ism I would have a seperate safe of nagants. at the moment I have caliper management issues. 22,25,30-30,308.30-06,9.40.45.7mm.5.56,762x39, I almost picked up a 50....blackpowder that is

If you're using surplus ammo, make sure you clean the bore with some hot soapy water to neutralize the corrosive salts.

Got home from work and had a suspiciously long package from UPS waiting in my living room. I tore into that thing like a fat kid into a birthday cake!

I was surprised at the lac of cosmoline of it. There was hardly any! Almost like the store I bought it from cleaned it before sending it.

I gave her a good scrub down anyway and promptly stunk up my place with Hoppes solvent.

Took it to the range today and stopped by Four Seasons to pick up some ammo. Put 40 rounds through it and I have been rotating ice packs out of the freezer since I got home. [smile]

What a fun rifle to shoot. Has such a different recoil feel than any of my deer rifles. Also seems to have much more of a BOOM than the crack of my other rifles too. The only problem is that it seems to have difficulty feeding the last round. The nose of the bullet wants to dip back down into the box magazine instead of raising up into the chamber. Any ideas? Also, can someone direct me to a page that explains what all the pieces are to the accessory kits, especially that tin can looking thing.

The rifle has the year 1942 stamped on it and the whole time I was at the range I kept wondering how many Nazis this particular rifle has taken down over its career.

Can't wait to get back to the range tomorrow and plow through the rest of the 80 rounds I bought for it.

Now time to go play some COD.

Welcome, Steve, to Mosins Anonymous.

As for the last round, you may have a weak magazine spring. Try taking the thing apart and scrubbing well if you haven't already, and use a little oil to keep it moving freely. One of mine had a bunch of shellac drips inside the magazine which kept it from operating smoothly.

Welcome to Mosins Anonymous...we meet weekly at a different gun shop[laugh]

Be careful, you will start to look for different models, different years, different countries, next thing you will be dreaming of "my next purchase" .. getting up in the middle of the night to see if you have won on a gun auction sight. But the best part, ammo is everywhere and they are a great rifle.

Welcome comrade.

Clean up

When using corrosive primer ammo, I recommend a patch soaked in windex; like dissolves like. Run this down the barrel first, then a dry patch, then clean as normal. Also wipe the bolt face. The parts included are the original cleaning kit; a jag to screw onto the cleaning rod, a bore guide and a cleaning rod puller with T-bar. My '39 Izzy does have quite a boom as well (but I still prefer my Mausers!)[grin]

MS

So, I just noticed that the cleaning rod that screws into the gun underneath the barrel isn't long enough to be able to swab the barrel if used.

Am I an idiot, or is this a legit observation? 91/30 if anyone needs the info.

Once you attach the 3-4" patch jag and the T-bar handle on both ends, you should be able to reach. Too bad its such a pain to use as that monster jag does a real good job cleaning.

MS

So, I just noticed that the cleaning rod that screws into the gun underneath the barrel isn't long enough to be able to swab the barrel if used.

Am I an idiot, or is this a legit observation? 91/30 if anyone needs the info.

Its a bare minimum for length was most likely meant to be used from both ends. Keep in mind these were probably used for scrubbing out heavy fouling and corrosion build up and not like we do these days with a long rod from the breech and a few inches past the muzzle so we can pull that dirty patch out instead of bringing it back through the rifle.

You're not in the trenches today and have many better options for cleaning that rifle. These days a cleaning rod on a surplus rifle serves as much purpose as the bayonet that came with it. Yeah you can use it but you don't really need to. Its there as an accessory that completes the rifle.

Buy a quality .30 cleaning rod like a 40" Dewey and get a few packs of brushes, a patch holder, and bag of patches and you'll be all set.

It's been a couple of days now. You must have another one already?!!
The title of the thread did include the word "collection".

Although it did take me a couple of weeks to get my third. [grin]

Really. I have a whole bunch of both and I like the Mosin way better.

Besides- at the end of the day- the mosin won the war- mauser lost.[smile]

Nice acquisition though. Now you need a m44. Then you'll really know what a fireball throwing shoulder killing gun is.

Speaking of M44's, I picked one up this past weekend out at Fitchburg, gonna make myself a lil cosmo oven end of this week, get all the cosmoline off and clean it up good, find myself some Heavy ball and make some fuego!!

Speaking of M44's, I picked one up this past weekend out at Fitchburg, gonna make myself a lil cosmo oven end of this week, get all the cosmoline off and clean it up good, find myself some Heavy ball and make some fuego!!

Nice. Heavy ball in a m44 kicks like a mule and is loud- but what a fireball. [smile] I'm sure you will live it. They are really accurate too. I have gotten really good groups with mine.

What year and maker???

Nice. Heavy ball in a m44 kicks like a mule and is loud- but what a fireball. [smile] I'm sure you will live it. They are really accurate too. I have gotten really good groups with mine.

What year and maker???

Izhevsk 1946, its disassembled and out on the back porch, sitting in a aluminum trash can enjoying the warmth of two 150wat floodlights [smile]

It's been a couple of days now. You must have another one already?!!
The title of the thread did include the word "collection".

Although it did take me a couple of weeks to get my third. [grin]

I'm in the process of refinishing the stock cause I buggered it up with some Break Free while cleaning it the other day. Left a huge blotch in the finish.

So, now I am looking for an M44 that I can leave original, and use the refinished 91/30 as a vintage deer rifle. I know a lot of people would probably like to hang me from my fingernails for removing the historical finish on my 91/30, but I already inadvertently screwed it up, so there would have been no historical incentive to let the old finish remain on the gun.

I am currently on my second coat of lineed oil. I think after 5, i will start with the shellac.

I just got a GREAT idea. A Mosin would make a fantastic Christmas present.

I'm in the process of refinishing the stock cause I buggered it up with some Break Free while cleaning it the other day. Left a huge blotch in the finish.

So, now I am looking for an M44 that I can leave original, and use the refinished 91/30 as a vintage deer rifle. I know a lot of people would probably like to hang me from my fingernails for removing the historical finish on my 91/30, but I already inadvertently screwed it up, so there would have been no historical incentive to let the old finish remain on the gun.

I am currently on my second coat of lineed oil. I think after 5, i will start with the shellac.

I just got a GREAT idea. A Mosin would make a fantastic Christmas present.

And what else gives you more bang for the buck? (pun intended)

I did my first total refinish on a refurb Russian SKS stock last week. Even with thinning the shellac 50/50 with isopropanol, it required some very quick application because of nearly immediate tacking.

Good luck on your Mosin. Pics when done!

Try shooting it at night or just before dark. It has a nice flash.

It also has enough concussion to move my camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Z7fI1E4Mc

When you crank off a round on a crowded line of AR's, .22's and other smallbores, everyone turns when the angry mosin lets loose. Its like "HAZZAHH COMRADES, I AM THE MIGHTY RUSSIAN 7.62, ka-fng -BOOM!!!"

Last edited:
It also has enough concussion to move my camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Z7fI1E4Mc

When you crank off a round on a crowded line of AR's, .22's and other smallbores, everyone turns when the angry mosin lets loose. Its like "HAZZAHH COMRADES, I AM THE MIGHTY RUSSIAN 7.62, ka-fng -BOOM!!!"

I definitely did notice that when I took it to the range the first time. Much more of a KA-BOOM than a bang/crack. There were folks there a few feet back from the firing line who were chatting it up while the other rifles were firing (some fellah had a Mauser, someone else had some tackticool rifle) and they immediately stopped talking as soon as the Mosin belched.

Put a smile on my face.

One a side note. I put the 5th coat of Linseed oil on the stock last night. Will start the first coat of shellac when I get home from work tonight. Wow, that linseed oil REALLY makes the wood grain pop.

Update - Finished the refinish

So. Below are the results of the refinishing process.

The first few pictures illustrate the reasons I wanted to refinish the stock. The primary one being that I allowed some "Break Free" to come into contact with the finish and it left some ugly marks.

The original finish, notice the scuff near the magazine:
PB170061.jpg

Close up of the "scuff", caused by the Break Free:
PB170062.jpg

Actual scuffs near the cleaning rod:
PB170063.jpg

Annnnd the main reason for refinishing:
PB170064.jpg

I ended up using two applications of Dawn Power Dissolver, and then had to use chemical stripper because the butt of the stock has some troublesome spots. It appeared as if somebody had splashed some sort of polyurethane on the stock, so I had to hit it with chemical stripper.

The wood was in great shape without any significant dings or nicks so I went at it with five coats of un-cut Boiled Linseed Oil. Followed it up with five coats of un-cut shellac.

After the BLO but pre-shellac:
PB240066.jpg

Pre shellac:
PB240067.jpg

The wood grain on this stock blew my mind. It was all sorts of gorgeous:
PB240068.jpg

After 5 coats of shellac. This thing might as well be a piece of art:
PB290069.jpg

Beautiful:
PB290071.jpg

Things I took away from this:

1. Getting the barrel bands back on without marring the new finish is damn near impossible.
2. BLO really emphasizes the grain of the wood.
3. Now I need to buy an M44 to keep original.
4. I also need a 91/30 with a scope.
5. I also need a K31.
6. I also need a Spanish Mauser.
7. I need more money.
8. I will need more trigger locks.

[rofl] Thats great! It put a smile on my face.[smile]

I also stole it and added the quote to my facebook page (if thats cool, if not I'll remove it).

Last edited:
A German K98 will also turn heads on the range, but I admit nothing I've seen beats a M44 on the line. I had one old veteran see me lock in a round, then turn to the crowd with him, "That's a K98; plug your ears, this will be loud."

MS

Back
Top Bottom