• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Official NES Cast Bullets Seminar

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
Saturday, October 22nd

Location: Westport, MA Exact address/directions to be provided via PM one week before the seminar

Door Prizes
We will be gathering some door prizes just like last year. I'll post some items as we get closer.

Required equipment for participation
Safety glasses or face shield
Work gloves
Close-toed Shoes/boots

Do not count on there being extra safety gear for you to borrow. There are several places within a 10 minute drive if you need to stop en route.

Wear clothes you wouldn't mind getting dirty. This is molten lead, after all.

Recommended to bring
Folding Chair
note taking materials/ clip board
Barrels, cylinders, and/or guns that you want to shoot cast boolits in** so we can slug the bore/cylinder throats
Long pants & sleeves

**please provide a heads up on this so we can have the appropriate sizes ready

Schedule
8:30 - 9:00 - Arrival and Set Up of Equipment for organizers
9:00 - 9:30 - Arrival and Registration for workshop participants - Please try to be on time.
10:00 - Workshop begins
10:30 - 12:00 - First round of mini workshops - see below for explanation
12:00 - 1:00 - Lunch
1:00 - 2:30 - Second Round of mini workshops
2:30 - 4:00 - Third and last round of mini-workshops
4:00 - Wrap Up and departure (to Shooting Supply if you want to)

Shooting Supply is less than 10 minutes away and primarily stocks reloading and casting supplies while also being a full service FFL. Get the tools while all the info is fresh in your head!

Seminar Topics
Molten Lead Safety
Casting Terminology
Alloys, Hardness, and Uses
Fluxing
Smelting
Mold Preparation
Casting Techniques
Boolit to Gun Fit
Lubing & Sizing & Gas Checks - Tools & Techniques
Common Problems and Solutions
Further Study: Paper Patching, list of resources
And more

Every participant will get to participate in each of the above class topics but not necessarily in order. The groups will be assigned after registration. You will get a chance to cover each subject with the group leader in a more one on one and hands on way. Example: you might do session B first (in round 1) and then session A second (in round 2), and then session C last (in round three).

Yard Sale/Swap Meet: Feel free to bring any casting related supplies to buy/sell/trade. This is your one reminder that all local laws will be followed and there is a zero tolerance policy for violation of those laws. You will be told to leave if found in violation of the law.

I hope this goes without saying, but just in case... No alcohol of any kind during the seminar.

Instructors: (4)
Michael J. Spangler
asp
1919FAN
BillNed

Attendance Cap: 24
Slight changes from last year

Participants are no longer required to bring your own lead.

$30 participation to be prepaid to ASP via paypal/cash/check/MO

THAT $30 GETS YOU...
Take-home reference material to use in future casting endeavors
whatever you cast during the seminar
$20 of smelted, ready to cast lead @ current market value (approx. $1/lb)
$10 coffee, donuts, smoked pulled pork sandwich, chips, drink, etc

Attendees: Let us know what caliber you are most interested in casting so we have enough molds ready. The intent here is to send everyone home with bullets they can shoot. We recommend to pick a caliber that is cast-bullet friendly. Some suggestions: 38 special, 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 30-30, 308 Win, 30-06, 45-70... The theme here is older calibers. 9mm and .40 S&W are doable but not recommended as a first choice. If you have something in mind and aren't sure about it, don't hesitate to ask.

Other instructors are welcome. PM if interestered... DukeinFlorida? EddieCoyle? BillNed?

REMINDER Safety equipment required for casting/smelting: glasses/goggles, face shield, long gloves (welding or fireplace) gloves, long pants, close toed shoes

Disclaimer: The goal of the attendance fee is to secure commitment from attendees, not to make a profit. We have more prep work to do with this format and when all is said and done we'll be lucky to break even.

Attendee List:
named pipes
The Goose
Shark_Cage
Mountain
MadatMarek
Packn.hk
Jeff Brodeur
Omega42
zmd
John380
Cooleel1000

Last edited:
Soooo...I'm pretty interested in this...mostly to cast projectiles for my 1889 Schmidt Rubin reloading project. There were apparently 2 calibers used depending on the date of mfg and I'd like to get it right the first time with some guidance as opposed to destroying my 100+ year old rifle and possibly hurting myself.

Also, I know a guy :D with access to lead wheel weights by the bucket load...would this be helpful?

As of right now, count me in for this...but my reserve unit is looking at a 3 week deployment to an undisclosed location somewhere on the other side of the globe around that time frame, so I MAY have to back out later on. In which case, someone could swing by my house in worcester and grab the lead for the class or we could meet up ahead of time.

Thanks for the opportunity to learn an interesting skill!
-Mike

I have lots of lead for sale if interested. Short money for at least 400lbs. of different types.
PM if i terested.

You're on the list. First one.
This is the perfect scenario for casting. If you see the threads that the Goose posts on old guns and being able to bring them back to life with cast it's eye opening.
With some decent reloading knowledge and a bullet mould you can get any of the old gun running and usually with accuracy too.
Do you know which diameter your bore is? If not we can slug it when you get down. Seems they used a .306/.307 diameter and they also paper patched bullets up to .320 for use in the larger bores.
Hopefully 1919 FAN can make it by to discuss paper patching.

Soooo...I'm pretty interested in this...mostly to cast projectiles for my 1889 Schmidt Rubin reloading project. There were apparently 2 calibers used depending on the date of mfg and I'd like to get it right the first time with some guidance as opposed to destroying my 100+ year old rifle and possibly hurting myself.

Also, I know a guy :D with access to lead wheel weights by the bucket load...would this be helpful?

As of right now, count me in for this...but my reserve unit is looking at a 3 week deployment to an undisclosed location somewhere on the other side of the globe around that time frame, so I MAY have to back out later on. In which case, someone could swing by my house in worcester and grab the lead for the class or we could meet up ahead of time.

Thanks for the opportunity to learn an interesting skill!
-Mike

the swiss rifle you have i believe the case length is shorter maybe 52 vs 53mm. The primary concern is the chamber. On the older swiss rifles I believe the case is not fully supported.
if you run some nice mild cast loads you should not have any issues with your rifle. I would recomend Trailboss for nice low pressure rounds and you cant really over charge with trail boss if you follow the instructions
Click on reduced loads with trail boss for the instructions

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-education/tips-and-tricks/low-recoil-loads

Do I need to sign up or just show up with all the stuff I brought last year!!! I have a bunch of new molds for strange calibers.
Like a 6.5mm Swedish 170 grain bullet mold
and one cut down to 150 grain

Last edited:
If I need to sign me up. I have a bullet mold I don't use a couple of other stuff. Do you want me to try am get a couple more tapper like the ones I got for you guys???

Bill if you come and do what you did last year you're not an attendee you're an instructor. If you're up for that again then bring it on

In please

You're in.

Does anyone have any weird cartridges or odd bore sizes they would like to cast for? I can try to make sure we have the proper sized and style moulds for you to work with.

I think we should have a small segment on cast glue boolits this year too. I can cover that if you guys want me to.
Also I ordered Paul Mathew's "The Paper Jacket" So I should have some clue about the theory of paper patching by then. Anyone interested in paper patching? Anyone know what it is?

In! You will post payment info later?

I'd like to try casting for my .458 SOCOM. It likes 300 gr Hornady HP's- I'm sure there's a mold for something between 300 - 400 gr., something for the .45-70 would likely work. Or lob some 500's, LOL.

Also for my .307 Winchester lever gun. It is identical to .308 Win, it just has a rimmed case but otherwise the same. Want to develop a easy shooting plinking round.

Haven't slugged my M39 Finn Mosin yet- would be pretty sweet if it would work with the same bullet as the .307 Win. It's probably going to take a bigger cavity...

The above are my primary interest, but otherwise I could do .45 ACP and .38's. Can .38 Specials be cast into HBWC's?

I'd like to try casting for my .458 SOCOM. It likes 300 gr Hornady HP's- I'm sure there's a mold for something between 300 - 400 gr., something for the .45-70 would likely work. Or lob some 500's, LOL.

Also for my .307 Winchester lever gun. It is identical to .308 Win, it just has a rimmed case but otherwise the same. Want to develop a easy shooting plinking round.

Haven't slugged my M39 Finn Mosin yet- would be pretty sweet if it would work with the same bullet as the .307 Win. It's probably going to take a bigger cavity...

The above are my primary interest, but otherwise I could do .45 ACP and .38's. Can .38 Specials be cast into HBWC's?

I have the LEE tumble lube design 358" 158gn SWC mold also see lots of old guys shooting the soup can wad cutters.

For for lever gun. I have a the original ranch dog 30/30 mold and it is,what I shoot out of my 1903a3
NOE IIRC bought out ranch dog.
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/produc...cts_id=1373&osCsid=u393ldkdbiafpef43gg8u86qb6

For the 458 maybe. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/produc...cts_id=1373&osCsid=u393ldkdbiafpef43gg8u86qb6

There's really not a mold out there for just about anything and several custom mold makers can get it done.

Last edited:

I'll have ASP post the payment info.
I have a 405 grain for the 458 that would work ok I think. I'm sure we have some more moulds for that hanging around.
I have a 198 spire point mould for the 30 cal if you have a non tubular magazine. If you have a tube ASP has a classic 30 cal flat point for that.
My spire point drop s at about 314 or so. Might work ok for the Finn
You can cast HBWC if you have the mould for it. I do not. I do have some WC moulds that shoot lights out I'll bring them

Thanks!

Lever is tube fed, but flat points AOK for other things too.

I may try to find a pumpkin devastator mold for the .458. [smile]

There was a cool article on castboolits about someone using the nose pour hollow base lee mould for 45/70.
Milling down the nose end to make a big hollow base wadcutter. Which could of course be flipped over for a large hollow point wadcutter. This could be stooopid devastating with soft lead at a halfway decent velocity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see some interest here!

I will send pm's on payment instruction... not so keen on putting my email address up for all to see.

Wish I lived closer. I was up in New England for most of the month of June. My timing is always off....

Looks to be another successful workshop.

I'll try to come up with something for a door prize.

Thanks Duke

I just helped a biddy clean up some of his friend's old reloading supplies. there are some old moulds and a lube sizer in there. Some other supplies for casting too. Once I get it all sorted out I'll make sure to let everyone on this thread know when it goes up for sale. It could be a nice way to get started on your never ending collection of moulds.

I was able to drop some lead.... thinking of the get together I can't get to!
Any how it's nice to be able to make your own.

Back
Top Bottom