• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Offenses while a minor

OK, Thanks folks.
IIRC one was before 21 and one was after. The second offence was after his 21st Bday. I believe, Meghan's law had been recently passed, he was served up as an example, and did 3 months in Billerica. Although we're biased (the second offence was based on him being stopped while driving his dad's truck without the new registration sticker on the license plate, and the stupid S*** had bought some cannibas, and admitted it to the officer), the family thought it was an entire waste of $'s to lock the kid up. Also, he tried to keep the second arrest a secret from his parents until it was too late to intervene. He's been completely good since then, graduated from college and is making over 6 figures in high tech graphic design, so maybe the "Tuff Love" helped. Too bad he is a lifetime PP b/c he really enjoys shooting.

These don't sound like juvenile offenses.
Two adult DUI convictions, sounds like he's SOL and fed PP.
But IANAL
What say ye swatgig?

These don't sound like juvenile offenses.
Two adult DUI convictions, sounds like he's SOL and fed PP.
But IANAL
What say ye swatgig?

You don't need swatgig, hes a PP. a conviction (did time) in MA (Billerica) after 21st Bday (Well after 94 if hes in 30's).

You don't need swatgig, hes a PP. a conviction (did time) in MA (Billerica) after 21st Bday (Well after 94 if hes in 30's).

I only mentioned him because he had commented earlier and because while IANAL he is.

Black powder is an option, as that's not real guns. He'd have to go to outside of Mass to purchase the powder, cap and ball.

I thought powder was considered an ammunition component. I'd love to get a lawyer's opinion on this.

I only mentioned him because he had commented earlier and because while IANAL he is.

I thought powder was considered an ammunition component. I'd love to get a lawyer's opinion on this.

Yeah, came off sarcastic not intended that way. Sorry about that. Looks like from my reading, and IANAL that you are allowed to possess the "Ammunition" which is defined in 121 to cover primer bullets and powder. But you would not be able to buy it here since buying components or "Ammunition" is restricted to licensed people.

Section 121. As used in sections 122 to 131Q, inclusive, the following words shall, unless the context clearly requires otherwise, have the following meanings:?

''Ammunition'', cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun. The term ''ammunition'' shall also mean tear gas cartridges.

Sec 129 C
The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:
(p) Carrying or possession by residents or nonresidents of so-called black powder rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor as described in such paragraphs (A) and (B) of the third paragraph of section 121, and the carrying or possession of conventional rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor by nonresidents who meet the requirements for such carrying or possession in the state in which they reside.

he was served up as an example, and did 3 months in Billerica.

Though it certainly sounds like he was convicted, a CWOF still isn't out of the question. People are frequently locked up pretrial on a high bail, or they have their bail revoked.

Although it's not currently possible to get a CWOF on a second offense, I don't know what all the options were back then. This is why I tell people to bring in records when they come see me.

Firestorm quotes the relevant language.

The State runs a Youth Pheasant Hunt. Persons over 15 need their own hunting license; you need an FID to possess the shotgun if you're on your own license. Before the latest tweak to the laws, you could not apply for an FID until you were 15. When there was a delay in issuing one (2-3 months) and you had a late-in-the-year birthday, you could not participate. So, the people that ran the hunt had BP shotties, as they're not guns. Now, you can apply before you turn 15, so I'm guessing it's less of an issue.

Only BP caveat that I know of (IANAL) is that a primer for an in-line ML requires an FID for possession, but "real" primitive caps are OK, though you need a license to purchase, here in the PRM. You can buy the stuff in NH, no problem.

Couple of years back a guy was "accidentally" shot on the Cape. Lots of stuff involved, but IIRC, the shooter was a PP*, and was grabbed up with unlicensed possession because he had 209 primer(s), among other charges.

q.v.: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...tally-shoots-jogger-shotgun-article-1.2040174

* could not find that in what I was able to find via google

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom