Off season training

PatMcD

NES Member
I got this MAR177 upper recently down at KTP. They had it used for $499. I traded them even for a case of Portuguese .308. Had to buy a hand pump, but they had one of those used, also (probably from the same guy).
Pretty well made. It goes right on your AR lower, which is really nice using your normal trigger.
Image 1.jpg

All you need is 10 Meters and you're in business. I had it out in the barn but brought it down to the basement for the Winter.
Image 2.jpg

Made my own pellet trap out of spare plywood and a clipboard. 4 cakes of monkey shit in the back catch the pellets easily with no ricochets.
Image.jpg

Been using it without a coat and am impressed with how well it shoots. Puts the pellet right where that front sight is. I think it's a worthwhile investment. Pellets are super cheap. I don't like having to pump it up with a bicycle-type hand pump. I have to rest for a 1/2 hour before I can shoot it. Might look into getting scuba tanks.

I have been looking at this, Glad for the review and thanks. Might just have to break down and do it.

For tanks stop at Johnson's in Brunswick, you might find a used one that someone did not pick up and they are selling to cover their cost.

If you think your going to stick with it look into a high pressure air compressor. Tanks are good for mobile filling.
Good thing is its. 177 Cal and only what 560fps or so. So you get a good amount of quality shots between fills. The Pcp rifles all have a sweet spot on pressure. My disco delivers best around 1850-1500ps(itsa 2000 psi fill)
i. I have been eye napping one of these at local shop.
Only thing holding me back is attaching a air powered upper does not make your lower a non firearm.....here in mass they would hang me if I had this out in my yard.....

If you want to see some crazy Pcp air rifle stuff check out tedsholdover.com

Last edited:
Pat does it hold tight enough groups so you can identify shooter error vs max accuracy of the gun?

When I practiced standing with my 22lr upper if I used shit ammo it was a complete waste of time because I couldn't tell what was the ammo and what was me.

Pat does it hold tight enough groups so you can identify shooter error vs max accuracy of the gun?

When I practiced standing with my 22lr upper if I used shit ammo it was a complete waste of time because I couldn't tell what was the ammo and what was me.

So far, I have only shot it offhand, and it puts them right where I call it. I'll see if I can bench it or shoot it prone to get a good gauge of it's accuracy.

I used to shoot my .22 upper a lot, but I hate to use all my good match ammo on practice. And, like you said, anything but match ammo is really a waste of time.

If you think your going to stick with it look into a high pressure air compressor. Tanks are good for mobile filling.
Good thing is its. 177 Cal and only what 560fps or so. So you get a good amount of quality shots between fills. The Pcp rifles all have a sweet spot on pressure. My disco delivers best around 1850-1500ps(itsa 2000 psi fill)
i. I have been eye napping one of these at local shop.
Only thing holding me back is attaching a air powered upper does not make your lower a non firearm.....here in mass they would hang me if I had this out in my yard.....

If you want to see some crazy Pcp air rifle stuff check out tedsholdover.com
I'm going to look into the High pressure compressor. Thanks.

EDIT: just looked on ebay and couldn't find much under $2000.

Last edited:
try looking around the airgun forums, pyramidair had a sale not long ago....you get a compressor you could offset the cost a bit by being a fill station.

try looking around the airgun forums, pyramidair had a sale not long ago....you get a compressor you could offset the cost a bit by being a fill station.
I don't want a bunch of paintball dorks over here at the house.

I don't want a bunch of paintball dorks over here at the house.

Restrict fills to pellgun geeks instead......well pat at least you got the hardest part done. That first fill. Now you just half to pump half as much....
Aluminum tanks are heavy and bulky. They run group buys on airgun forums for the carbon fiber tanks sometimes.

Have you tried stretching the distance to see at what point accuracy really suffers?

Restrict fills to pellgun geeks instead......well pat at least you got the hardest part done. That first fill. Now you just half to pump half as much....
Aluminum tanks are heavy and bulky. They run group buys on airgun forums for the carbon fiber tanks sometimes.

Have you tried stretching the distance to see at what point accuracy really suffers?

No. I probably will never shoot it past 10M.

Pat
I think you should get the $2,000 compressor and offset the cost by inflating rubber rafts and water toys at OOB. Nothing like spending a couple grand on a practice BB gun you bought on the cheap.

Pat
I think you should get the $2,000 compressor and offset the cost by inflating rubber rafts and water toys at OOB. Nothing like spending a couple grand on a practice BB gun you bought on the cheap.

That's pretty sound logic.

Pat
That's funny..........
You can get out of it cheaper. If you want to play with Pcp guns you have a few opptions
By a 80 cubic foot tank that can handle 3000psi and fill the tank every time it drops below 2200 psi or so. Or what ever your Pcp guns effective pressure curve is.

Buy a carbon finer tank with a 4500psi fill rating and see if your local fire house has the capability to fill them. Then try to get on the good side of someone in the fire house to fill it.
Or get the shoebox compressor and a used scuba tank.....
Either way you going to spend money and time finding a way to fill your tanks...now if you need to justify spending money on the compressor might think about getting a few more air guns

http://www.topairgun.com/anschutz

http://www.youtube.com/guide_ajax?d...Iekpw1qa_fQ&bvm=bv.57799294,d.cWc&app=desktop

Its all good.......

That's funny..........
You can get out of it cheaper. If you want to play with Pcp guns you have a few opptions
By a 80 cubic foot tank that can handle 3000psi and fill the tank every time it drops below 2200 psi or so. Or what ever your Pcp guns effective pressure curve is.

Buy a carbon finer tank with a 4500psi fill rating and see if your local fire house has the capability to fill them. Then try to get on the good side of someone in the fire house to fill it.
Or get the shoebox compressor and a used scuba tank.....
Either way you going to spend money and time finding a way to fill your tanks...now if you need to justify spending money on the compressor might think about getting a few more air guns

http://www.topairgun.com/anschutz

http://www.youtube.com/guide_ajax?d...Iekpw1qa_fQ&bvm=bv.57799294,d.cWc&app=desktop

Its all good.......

How many times would that fill the rifle do you think? I've got a dive shop not 15 minutes from here, so I'd probably go that route instead of buying a compressor.

Or, I'll just keep using the hand pump.
I can still take the pump down to OOB and fill water toys with it.

If you go to the pyramidayr web site I think they have a calculator to help figure that out.
the scuba tank is the the same way as the rifle. once it falls below X psi it needs to be filled regardless of the capacity. If they can fill the 4500psi carbon fiber tanks you will get more rifle fills.
So you need the fill capacity of the rifle and the tank.

I have the discovery for now(im a old school multipump pellgun nerd) its a 2000psi fill I repump when it hits 1650 and fill to 1900psi thats the sweet spot and I get aprox 30 consistent shots. The 3000psi 177 call get many more shots.

So that said if your dive shop only has 3000psi capacity you will not get a full charge from a scuba tank if your rifle tank is a 3000psi then maybe 6 "fills" before the scuba tank drops below 2500psi.
Your rifle should get 100 good shots before preasure drops below a loss in accuracy. What that preasure is ? With the hand pump it will still be hard to pump up to 3000 psi but if you start your fill at the 100 ish shot fired point you wont need to pumps as much. Mind you head the warning of letting your pump rest after 30 pumps or so (read instructions) you will burn out the seals if you over heat the pump by over pumping. They are easy to rebuild if needed.
As I look at some of the more powerfull and accurate air rifles I am leaning to the larger carbon fiber tank that can fill to 4500psi which will give you a few full 3000psi fills on your rifle plus as many until you reach that minimum your rifle shoots well at.

I can still take the pump down to OOB and fill water toys with it.

Pat,

I still have that nice piece of plywood we got from our buddy ("P.R.") in Erie PA that we met on the way home from Perry.

I can bring it to the next match if you want it to set up a bench at Old Orchard for pumping toys up.

Its all fun, like any other hobby it can get stupid expensive quick. Pellguns are just insane now. Both in price,power and accuracy.

Pat,

I still have that nice piece of plywood we got from our buddy ("P.R.") in Erie PA that we met on the way home from Perry.

I can bring it to the next match if you want it to set up a bench at Old Orchard for pumping toys up.

2 saw-horses, a narrow sheet of plywood, my air pump, a case of beer, and 5000 sunburned Canadians.
That sounds like a good business plan.

Went to the dive shop today.
They usually have used 80cf tanks for $120. Not right now because the urchin season is underway and those get bought up pretty quick. Short urchin season this year, so they'll have some used tanks back in fairly soon. $6 refills. $12 tank certification every 5 years.
The fill adapter will cost another $100 (?) or so.

I tried to find the calculator on pyramidayr's website but failed.
Rifle tank is 130cc, scuba is 80cf pressurized to 3000psi. Say I want to fill the rifle to 2000psi. How many times can I do that?
I know there is something online to do this, but I don't know where to start.

If the tank system lasted me a year, I might think about it. If it's just a couple of months, I'll probably keep pumping.
So far I'm into the upper and handpump for $320.

how well does the gun shoot on 2000psi and lower...

best I can say ,as im some what new to PCP. I have had my Discovery about a year now.

go here and poke around http://www.network54.com/Forum/581291/ its all crosman/benjiman pcp related stuff

or even still go poke around on cmp forums under the air gun section

Last edited:
Pat...wont it be awkward shooting with a divers tank on your back? Send it !
Maybe.
I think the flippers might give me a more stable platform to build on, though. Eye relief with swim goggles on is just about perfect.

Pat, if it uses a scuba tank to fill, i could fill it at work for free. If you had a tank that fit our air fill station and the hydrostatic testing was up to date I could fill that too.

Have you seen the Laserlyte Target Trainers? I have the Reaction Tyme targets and the 9mm laser cartridge. I found it has greatly improved my pistol scores, makes dry firing a little less boring and saves money on not firing live rounds. I just ordered the .223 laser cartridge, when it comes in I'll let you know what I think of it. I think this system is a pretty decent setup to keep skills fresh and the price isn't too crazy.

Pat, if it uses a scuba tank to fill, i could fill it at work for free. If you had a tank that fit our air fill station and the hydrostatic testing was up to date I could fill that too.

Can you get me a tank? It can be a firefighting tank too, I think.

You can use any high pressure air tank that will hold 3000psi or more. Since there are many large capacity and large Cal. Air rifles and 4500psi tanks are becoming the norm. The small carbon fiber tanks are 200-700$. Then what ever adapters you need.

Have you seen the Laserlyte Target Trainers? I have the Reaction Tyme targets and the 9mm laser cartridge. I found it has greatly improved my pistol scores, makes dry firing a little less boring and saves money on not firing live rounds. I just ordered the .223 laser cartridge, when it comes in I'll let you know what I think of it. I think this system is a pretty decent setup to keep skills fresh and the price isn't too crazy.

I use the laserlyte for handguns. Dont know how it will work out for rifles.

Back
Top Bottom