Wuss Gun: I am officially a 'sell out'. LOL

Mountain

NES Member
If you show up to the firing line at an OCSA CMP Modern Military Match with an AR, our esteemed retired Navy armorer and top ranked CMP shooter will give you some good-natured (?) crap. He refers to these as 'Poo-see' guns and much prefers the M1A's and iron sights. At the last match, a few of us discussed how screwed up the CMP rules are that if you shoot iron sights, NM type sights are not legal & at best you can make adjustments via 1 MOA clicks. A standard type aperture can be reduced, but that has it's limits. Adding a scope to an AR is legal if the complete rifle sans mag and sling remains at 8.5 lbs or under. There are rules for scopes that limit objective diameter etc., but no rules for how finely the scopes can adjust as there are for iron sights. 1/4 MOA scope adjustment? No problem. Stupid rules...

That said, my eyes are getting older and depending on the light I can't hold the same level of accuracy that I could as little as a year ago. Decided to completely puss out and mount a scope. I went with a Leupold Mark AR mod-1, which at 9.6 oz won't throw my rifle over the weight limit. The model I have adjusts via 0.1 mils, roughly 1/3 MOA. Definitely made a difference in my shooting:

r2beTM1h.jpg

100 yards, prone with sling. There are 10 shots, so a couple holes are doubles. One for sure in the X-ring, but I can't determine if the other is in the X-ring or 10-ring. Clean target either way.

Ammo was Berger 80.5's, Norma brass, CCI BR primers, and Benchmark powder (I forget the grains wt). This self-built rifle features a USGI spec 20" Criterion barrel and Geissele trigger set at 4.5 lbs. I sourced many of the parts via NES, including a group buy lower from a few years ago. It's two-bagger ugly as hell, but it shoots. Bergers are complete overkill for 200 yards, but I had more of these loaded up than my Nosler 77's and I wanted to see how they'd run in the poo-see gun.

JEXn8hGh.jpg
[/IMG]

The fixed scope parallax is off a little at 100 yards and this is going to the CMP Games in Vermont. Hopefully it won't be much different at 200 yards. Leupold custom shop can adjust the parallax, but I have no idea what the turn-around time will be, nor the cost. Guess I can call them on Tuesday.

Last edited:
if you're having parallax troubles, try making a "peep sight" from a scope cover on the end closest to your eye
(a couple of guys at a leg match had home-made ones & they were doing awesome)

A Vortex #FC4 pop up covers with a hole drilled in the center works great on a Mark AR - you can pop it up in stages when you don't need it - rubber to fit on easy
~$9 from Brownell's:100-013-170WB Vortex Flip Cap Cover Size 4 35-40mm (1.4 -1.6 ) Lens
!/4" hole is kinda big - start smaller.... My score are much less bogus with the peep-sight scope cover :)

if you're having parallax troubles, try making a "peep sight" from a scope cover on the end closest to your eye
(a couple of guys at a leg match had home-made ones & they were doing awesome)

A Vortex #FC4 pop up covers with a hole drilled in the center works great on a Mark AR - you can pop it up in stages when you don't need it - rubber to fit on easy
~$9 from Brownell's:100-013-170WB Vortex Flip Cap Cover Size 4 35-40mm (1.4 -1.6 ) Lens
!/4" hole is kinda big - start smaller.... My score are much less bogus with the peep-sight scope cover :)

Never heard of that- great idea! What size hole? Something like 0.1"?

I'd flip up for rapids probably, but that could be just the ticket for slow fire prone and awful-hand.

that or 1/8" - you can always go bigger ... my 1/4" is probably too big

the main thing is it prevents the "bobble head" effect - which was making my theoretically wonderful target (so I thought) out at 200yds look like it got hit by a load of buckshot when I walked downrange ;)

Thanks-

Parallax not terrible and I don't think it's going to be a huge issue for accuracy, but I think it's off for 200 because I think the scope is focused for and has the parallax set for ~75 yards, maybe even 50.

I'm going to contact Leupold to at least know where it's set & I can decide if 200 yards warrants me doing something about it. As with any match shooting, it's important to keep a consistent cheek weld.

If you show up to the firing line at an OCSA CMP Modern Military Match with an AR, our esteemed retired Navy armorer and top ranked CMP shooter will give you some good-natured (?) crap. He refers to these as 'Poo-see' guns and much prefers the M1A's and iron sights. At the last match, a few of us discussed how screwed up the CMP rules are that if you shoot iron sights, NM type sights are not legal & at best you can make adjustments via 1 MOA clicks. A standard type aperture can be reduced, but that has it's limits. Adding a scope to an AR is legal if the complete rifle sans mag and sling remains at 8.5 lbs or under. There are rules for scopes that limit objective diameter etc., but no rules for how finely the scopes can adjust as there are for iron sights. 1/4 MOA scope adjustment? No problem. Stupid rules...

That said, my eyes are getting older and depending on the light I can't hold the same level of accuracy that I could as little as a year ago. Decided to completely puss out and mount a scope. I went with a Leupold Mark AR mod-1, which at 9.6 oz won't throw my rifle over the weight limit. The model I have adjusts via 0.1 mils, roughly 1/3 MOA. Definitely made a difference in my shooting:

r2beTM1h.jpg

100 yards, prone with sling. There are 10 shots, so a couple holes are doubles. One for sure in the X-ring, but I can't determine if the other is in the X-ring or 10-ring. Clean target either way.

Ammo was Berger 80.5's, Norma brass, CCI BR primers, and Benchmark powder (I forget the grains wt). This self-built rifle features a USGI spec 20" Criterion barrel and Geissele trigger set at 4.5 lbs. I sourced many of the parts via NES, including a group buy lower from a few years ago. It's two-bagger ugly as hell, but it shoots. Bergers are complete overkill for 200 yards, but I had more of these loaded up than my Nosler 77's and I wanted to see how they'd run in the poo-see gun.

JEXn8hGh.jpg
[/IMG]

The fixed scope parallax is off a little at 100 yards and this is going to the CMP Games in Vermont. Hopefully it won't be much different at 200 yards. Leupold custom shop can adjust the parallax, but I have no idea what the turn-around time will be, nor the cost. Guess I can call them on Tuesday.

I can't find the video...but IIRC the mark AR model 1 is set parellax at 150 yards. Making the error at 600 about 1" or so . The peep hole trick works pretty good I have a peep on one of my pellet scopes. You can also slide your scope a bit forward creating a tighter "ring" around your target.

I can't find the video...but IIRC the mark AR model 1 is set parellax at 150 yards. Making the error at 600 about 1" or so . The peep hole trick works pretty good I have a peep on one of my pellet scopes. You can also slide your scope a bit forward creating a tighter "ring" around your target.

Aha- if set for 150 it should be better at 200 than 100. I'm not going to see any difference in slow fire, but it might make a difference in rapids when I'm not as careful about exact eye position.

p.s. it's probably more betterer to drill the hole when the lens cap ISN'T on the scope
- then you won't drill the lens ;)

The potential effect on target of worst-case parallax error from 100 to 200 yards is so miniscule it's ridiculous.

P.s. the ocular side hole in the scope cap trick works well. Or at least in my mind it works well, ......so it works well.

I ended up not trying the scope cover peep hole trick because it probably was not necessary at 200 yard match distances. Left a message at Leupold and was quickly called back by one of their techs. He confirmed that the parallax was set for 150 yards and that at 200 yards the max error was some tiny fraction of an inch if I was as far as I could get off the axis. Figured I'd be GTG at Vermont and indeed I was. Shot a 98/1X in slow prone, then an X for my first shot in rapid. Unfortunately I'd loaded my ammo a hair too long for rapids and it hung up and killed the rest of rapid shots. Self inflicted problem, but the scope was working fine.

Back
Top Bottom