200 Yd off hand ammo

Is there any advantage to using my 80gr extended length ammo, as opposed to using my 77 gr mag length ammo?
Just curious. 20 round off hand competition.
Thanks, MIke

Is there any advantage to using my 80gr extended length ammo, as opposed to using my 77 gr mag length ammo?
Just curious. 20 round off hand competition.
Thanks, MIke

c'mon mike....you know the answer to this one.

you've seen duane shoot offhand. know what he shoots all winter? 55gr IMI pulldowns with WC846. at 200yards it aint gonna make much of a difference.

no P100. crossfiring my first shot offhand didnt help....but managed a gold in the NTI (489-a few), a hearst medal, and literally 1 shot out of an Elihu root medal (national civilian team...was 8th or 9th overall)

Great job. How about Vern and the rest of the NE contingency ?

Great job. How about Vern and the rest of the NE contingency ?

Verne made the 100 and the national junior team. Robbie, Mikey, and Duane also made the 100. Leo grabbed his first 4 points in the SAFS match. I grabbed 10 points in the NTI (by the slimmest of margins.) We put together a last minute rattle-battle team and did pretty well considering we guessed on the zeros and hadn't practiced. Overall it was an awesome week.

As for the original question, I don't think you'd see a measurable difference. We shoot 80s at 600 because in general they buck the wind a little better than the lighter bullets (though the Berger 75 VLDs are supposedly even better than the Sierra 77s or 80s.) At 200 there's probably not going to be enough difference in wind deflection to make much difference. You'd be talking tiny fractions of a minute anyway, way less that 99% of people can hold under the best circumstances.

If anything a lighter bullet going a lot faster would probably be better, but our rifles aren't really ideal for shooting light bullets.

Last edited:
Verne made the 100 and the national junior team. Robbie, Mikey, and Duane also made the 100. Leo grabbed his first 4 points in the SAFS match. I grabbed 10 points in the NTI (by the slimmest of margins.) We put together a last minute rattle-battle team and did pretty well considering we guessed on the zeros and hadn't practiced. Overall it was an awesome week.

As for the original question, I don't think you'd see a measurable difference. We shoot 80s at 600 because in general they buck the wind a little better than the lighter bullets (though the Berger 75 VLDs are supposedly even better than the Sierra 77s or 80s.) At 200 there's probably not going to be enough difference in wind deflection to make much difference. You'd be talking tiny fractions of a minute anyway, way less that 99% of people can hold under the best circumstances.

If anything a lighter bullet going a lot faster would probably be better, but our rifles aren't really ideal for shooting light bullets.

Great job for all the guys.
I used the 77's. I shot a 187 :)
The guy on my left was hammering me with 308 brass, and to my right was my friend. shooting a lefty barrel. Burnt neck and ankle.

Great job for all the guys.
I used the 77's. I shot a 187 :)
The guy on my left was hammering me with 308 brass, and to my right was my friend. shooting a lefty barrel. Burnt neck and ankle.

Suck it up, buttercup.

Hi Mike,

That would have been a great question to ask at the on range lecture / demonstations part of the $20 Marksman to Expert Clinic we had at NFGA yesterday...

Why didn't you attend?

Will you be shooting any of the remaining Northeast High Power Rifle NRA / CMP Matches this season?

George

Hi Mike,

That would have been a great question to ask at the on range lecture / demonstations part of the $20 Marksman to Expert Clinic we had at NFGA yesterday...

Why didn't you attend?

Will you be shooting any of the remaining Northeast High Power Rifle NRA / CMP Matches this season?

George

Shot answer. Yes.
Long. I had a 9 hour 200round 14 stage IDPA on Saturday. It wiped me out. I didn't want to get up at 6 , even though I need work on my sitting rapids. I will see you Sat the 24th & 25th. + the clinic on 9/21. And many more I am sure.
Mike

Shot answer. Yes.
Long. I had a 9 hour 200round 14 stage IDPA on Saturday. It wiped me out. I didn't want to get up at 6 , even though I need work on my sitting rapids. I will see you Sat the 24th & 25th. + the clinic on 9/21. And many more I am sure.
Mike

Glad to hear we will see you at some of the remaining matches.
You're a fun guy to have around and you have been making good progress.

Sometimes Highpower is too much work or committment for people and they drop out never to be seen or heard from again.

Glad to hear we will see you at some of the remaining matches.
You're a fun guy to have around and you have been making good progress.

Sometimes Highpower is too much work or committment for people and they drop out never to be seen or heard from again.

I have too much ammo for that to happen :)

Maybe if you are one of the top 1% of highpower shooters, your 200yd offhand ammo selection will make a difference.

I shot 69's last year, Privi Partisan 75 bulkys the two years before that. 77's most of this year. I shot a bunch of Sierra 80's with differing powder weights (leftovers from experimenting with new barrel) offhand at a match this year just to burn them up.
My scores are always about the same: crappy.

Maybe if you are one of the top 1% of highpower shooters, your 200yd offhand ammo selection will make a difference.

I shot 69's last year, Privi Partisan 75 bulkys the two years before that. 77's most of this year. I shot a bunch of Sierra 80's with differing powder weights (leftovers from experimenting with new barrel) offhand at a match this year just to burn them up.
My scores are always about the same: crappy.

That's how you made the Presidents 100 last year. Crappy My Eye. [wink]
see you at Nashua this weekend
I stuck with the Nosler 77's

That's how you made the Presidents 100 last year. Crappy My Eye. [wink]
see you at Nashua this weekend
I stuck with the Nosler 77's
I made the P100, but it wasn't because of my offhand score (88-1x).
I won't be at Nashua. Scarborough has an RMC next Sunday, then the Service Rifle Champs the following Sat with an EIC Sun. Come on up, the lobster is cheap!

Man I wish the time to hit more matches up north. I was only able to get 1 of the league shoots. I'm lucky to get 4 matches on the schedule.....happy if I get to more than 2......mmmmm lobster.

George, I feel this is somewhat aimed in my direction. I've not shot Highpower for a number of years, but have returned to action shooting and 3 gun in particular. I think my coat still fits though, I may even have some 600 yard slow fire ammo kicking around.

George, I feel this is somewhat aimed in my direction. I've not shot Highpower for a number of years, but have returned to action shooting and 3 gun in particular. I think my coat still fits though, I may even have some 600 yard slow fire ammo kicking around.

Nope, Wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.
Just a statement from a number of years worth of observation and experience.

Do I know you?

I believe I only know one Dan S from NH and he is at almost every match and practices very often.

Nope, Wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.
Just a statement from a number of years worth of observation and experience.

Do I know you?

I believe I only know one Dan S from NH and he is at almost every match and practices very often.

We may have met at Nashua, years ago. I've not shot highpower for quite a while.

Whats your name?

If you want to get started up again I / we could probably help you out with any gear you may need.

Feel free to email me anytime gsmith223 at comcast dot net

I think the number one factor in people dropping out or stop going is 90% "time" I would go to reading more often if I lived near by. there are very few matches down here in the plymouth area (pembrokes old colony holds actual cmp matches) The others have cmp "shoots" no scores recorded or rewards.
Then theres the need for baby sitters, drive time ect ect. Im not to far from reading going north in the AM i can get there in 45 min. heading south to go home is 1.5 hrs+ depending on how much worse the trasffic can get.....many of us want to shoot, just doesnt fit in well with the rest of our lives...when my kids are older and or get into it themselves rest assure I will be more active....if we can still play.

Whats your name?

If you want to get started up again I / we could probably help you out with any gear you may need.

Feel free to email me anytime gsmith223 at comcast dot net

I don't have time to commit to two different games. If I wanted to take highpower up once more, I just need to load ammo. I still have all I need.
Thanks for the offer.

I used to shoot action pistol, 3 gun...etc In 1997, I shoot the USPA nationals, I started HP 96. I quickly became more interested in HP...but it was a tough decision but I quit action shooting. Back then, I was lucky to have the time with kids and all. Now my kids are all grown and my wife and I shoot quite a bit. It is very difficult (for most) to try to improve and dabble in several shooting disciplines.

Back in the day Dan built a pistol for me...good gun and good guy

Charlie, thanks for the kind words.
It really is difficult choosing the game to play. I've done enough of them. For now, 3 gun has my interest.

Back
Top Bottom