Last Northeast EIC Match of the 2015 Season this Sunday at NFGA

Hello All,
Due to the requests of non distinguished area shooters we have added an EIC match at NFGA this Sunday 9/27.

See note @ http://www.nfga.org/highpower/highpower.html
(We have added an Rifle EIC Match on 9-27-2015 it is the Rain Date for the Mid Range Prone Championship, )
(If we need the rain date it will start right after The MRPC is finish otherwise it will be an 8:30am Start )

There are a few local shooters that have been working hard to leg out and could leg out with 6 or 8 points.
We are hoping for a large enough turnout of Non distinguished shooters to get 3 cuts.

The long range forecast is looking great!

If you are a Non Distinguished Service Rifle shooter capable of safely shooting across the course PLEASE come to NFGA this Sunday to shoot this match.

If you know others that are capable and I don't have them included in this email...
please pass this on to them and ask them to come shoot this match.

Please arrive between 7:30 - 8am for squadding for an 8:30 am start.

Also please attend the NH Mid Range Prone Championship on Saturday 9/26.

http://www.nfga.org/highpower/pdfs/2015 NFGA Schedule.pdf
NRA Registered Mid Range Prone Championship: Cost $35.00

9:00AM Start Time

300, 500 & 600 yards. 300 Yards: Unlimited Sighters and 20 rounds for record in 26 Minutes.

500 and 600 Yards: 2 Sighters and 20 record Shots at 26 Minutes at each yardline.

Rain Date Sunday 9/27 Contact: Bob Belanger @ [email protected]

Weather looks good to go for the MRP Champs on Sat and the EIC on Sunday.

Hope to see you all (and more) there this weekend.

Thanks All!

George

Last edited:
I think I personally know most of the people that are highpower ( Service Rifle / Match Rifle ) shooters that post here and actively shoot local and national NRA / CMP ( not games ) matches.
( Ie; Pat, Duane, Charlie, Jason, Jeff )
I know those shooters from shooting with them mostly at;
Perry, Butner, Bolton Vt, Scarborough Maine, Pelham NH, Nashua NH and Reading Mass

I was wondering if there are any other people that are regulars here that actively shoot NRA / CMP Service Rifle or Match Rifle matches.
( Not asking about; tactical, f class or vintage rifle matches )

Often this forum seems like a ghost town yet this thread has 58 views as of this post.

If there are any here that only shoot reduced matches and you have the correct rifle and all the gear to shoot traditional full course (200, 300 , 600 yard) NRA / CMP matches and you want to try full course either post here ot contact me at GSmith223 at Comcast dot net and I'll do what I can to help get you shooting full course.

George

George, I try to get up there when I can but this year has been tough. As it is I'm double-booked for Sunday as it is. I wish I could get up there to help out. It sucks because this is such a great time of year to shoot.

For any other lurker here that has shot reduced matches, I encourage you to reach out to George and take him up on his offer. It may look daunting but it's a ton of fun. George and the rest of the guys and gals there are great teachers and very accommodating.

-Scott

Hi George-

Thanks for reaching out- I was pretty close to posting a 'Perry Pipe Dream' thread as I have an interest in going beyond the reduced matches & Perry is on my bucket list. I've shot some CMP Garand matches and 100 yard matches at my local club. Besides the Garand, I recently put together a service rifle that's a decent shooter. Basically an A4 with A2 carry handle in case of future optics rules. A friend from the forum & the Garand shoots occasionally shoots Reading but otherwise I don't know anyone involved with high power.

As long as my sights aren't loose (gaffe at last CMP) I keep all my shots on paper and they're in the black at 200 yards. I can score in the mid to high 90's on slow fire and even hit a 90 on off hand. Last match I really botched rapids and ran out of time but would have had a great score with the M1 sans the loose sights at the beginning and the screw up in rapids. I'm still breaking in the barrel on my SR but in a no pressure situation on reduced SR1's at 100 yards I'm shooting like this for rapid prone & rapid sitting:

IMG_0681.jpg

I think it will be a while before I can do this in a real match situation, but there's potential...

Unfortunately I will be traveling for work Sunday or I'd at least come to watch. I plan to shoot the Pembroke CMP Garand match mid-October but otherwise am open most weekends and have extra vaca days too. Hope to hear from you about moving forward with shooting full courses. Can take the conversation off-line via PM or just keep this thread rolling.

Thanks, Ed / 'Mountain'

Hi George-

Thanks for reaching out- I was pretty close to posting a 'Perry Pipe Dream' thread as I have an interest in going beyond the reduced matches & Perry is on my bucket list. I've shot some CMP Garand matches and 100 yard matches at my local club. Besides the Garand, I recently put together a service rifle that's a decent shooter. Basically an A4 with A2 carry handle in case of future optics rules. A friend from the forum & the Garand shoots occasionally shoots Reading but otherwise I don't know anyone involved with high power.

As long as my sights aren't loose (gaffe at last CMP) I keep all my shots on paper and they're in the black at 200 yards. I can score in the mid to high 90's on slow fire and even hit a 90 on off hand. Last match I really botched rapids and ran out of time but would have had a great score with the M1 sans the loose sights at the beginning and the screw up in rapids. I'm still breaking in the barrel on my SR but in a no pressure situation on reduced SR1's at 100 yards I'm shooting like this for rapid prone & rapid sitting:

View attachment 147023

I think it will be a while before I can do this in a real match situation, but there's potential...

Unfortunately I will be traveling for work Sunday or I'd at least come to watch. I plan to shoot the Pembroke CMP Garand match mid-October but otherwise am open most weekends and have extra vaca days too. Hope to hear from you about moving forward with shooting full courses. Can take the conversation off-line via PM or just keep this thread rolling.

Thanks, Ed / 'Mountain'

Mid to high 90s could win leg points depending on the day. I'd say the cut usually goes somewhere in the low to mid 470's. Shoot a 95 average and you'll be in there most days.

With that said, even if you're not quite there yet you'd be giving someone who is a better chance of cutting points. The more shooters there are the more points to go around. If you're a safe shooter and can at least keep them somewhere on the paper you're "ready."

Thanks,

I'm sure I have some (a lot, lol) of work to do before I can shoot like this in a match, but I'd like to get started. I'll need some guidance dealing with the longer distances- typical elevation come-ups, etc.

The last couple of years they've done an intro to highpower up in Nashua April-ish. If they do another I'd highly encourage folks to attend, it's great no matter where you're at experience-wise.

Thanks,

I'm sure I have some (a lot, lol) of work to do before I can shoot like this in a match, but I'd like to get started. I'll need some guidance dealing with the longer distances- typical elevation come-ups, etc.

There are always guys at the matches who are willing and able to help out a new shooter. For example I'm already legged out so if I'm shooting a leg match it's just for fun (I don't "count" any more) so I would have no problem skipping the shooting to help someone out, lend them my gear, etc. If I'm not there there are plenty of others who I'm sure would do the same.

Anyway, even if you don't think you're "good enough" or don't quite have all the gear yet you should consider shooting anyway. We all started out with borrowed gear and crappy scores. Just let the match director know ahead of time and generally he'll find someone to pair you with to get you started. (Not to put words into George's mouth but I think he'd say the same.)

George,
Sorry for not getting back over to shoot with you guys this year and once again I have to miss a match you are holding. I have been working with a new shooter here in Maine this year and have finally got him talked into shooting a 600 yard match. He has been doing reduced COF and has not had the confidence in going to full distance.

Scarborough is hold a 3x600 fun match and I have tlaked him into trying it, it would be bad form for me to abandon him for your match, as much as I want to.

I wish you guys all the best and hope you get the turn out you need. One of these days I will make the trek over(3hour drive) and shoot with you guys again. I really liked meeting all of you when I came over to help with your clinic. And I look forward to doing that again next year.

See you on the line sooner or later
Dave Sheppard

Hi Pat,

Sorry so slow posting this.
Dave got the results bulletin to the webmaster the day after the match but they just got posted this week.

I just ran the line for the match.
Turnout was lower than we had hoped but it was awesome to see Les B. leg out with the 2nd cut.
les has worked his tail off and knows the pain of 1st leather's or close and letting your head get into EIC matches and shooting under your abilities.

It was also awesome to see Gary get his 1st points and a hard leg out of the way!!!!
Gary was a newbie clinic shooter 3 years ago and has attended every marksman - Expert clinic we put on since his 1st newbie clinic.

Greg Wolo also shot very well despite missing most of the season due to fractured ribs from a spill he took helping us set up for the newbie clinic back in April. Greg will definitely be a contender next season...

It makes it all worthwhile in a huge way for the time we put into offering clinics when you see people; listen, work hard and do well!!

George

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom