• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Off-Hand Shooting

Hey guys, we just started shooting off-hand in the clinic I attend, and I was wondering if you guys had any tips that helped you out. I was taught both ways to hold the rifle with your left hand (fist or regular), and I didn't notice much of a difference. Do you guys have any small tweaks that you'd recommend? Thanks!

You can also try inverting your left hand so the palm is almost pointing at the sky. In the off hand there is no way that is better than the other. You have to try them all, see which one feels good, and which one gives you the best results. It may take some time but you will eventually decide on which one you want to use.

Off Hand shooting

There are two thing that may help. First cant the gun slightlyinward (10 or 15 degrees) and second tighten you diaphram when you are ready to shoot. Oddly tightening the diaphram also tightens muscles in the arms and the gun will be steadier.

derek said:
You can also try inverting your left hand so the palm is almost pointing at the sky. In the off hand there is no way that is better than the other. You have to try them all, see which one feels good, and which one gives you the best results. It may take some time but you will eventually decide on which one you want to use.

That's what I do when I shoot my SKS, D. I tried a few different ways to hold the muzzle end up, but that one seems to feel the best to me.

Once you figure out what forehand grip feels best, you can go ahead and present your rifle to the target.

Stand at with your feet shoulder width apart making sure your stance is stable. The stance should feel comfortable.

If you are using an AR15 get a good firm but not tight grip on the pistol grip.

Place the stock of the rifle in to your shoulder watching the exact location you placed it so you can repeat for each shot after.

Bring the rifle up in to the shooting position making sure your left elbow is secure on the left side of your body. Make a mental note on it’s position so you can repeat it. DO NOT CANT THE RIFLE.

Close your eyes, take a deep breath, and slowly open your eyes looking through the sights.

If you are off target adjust your rear foot by moving it left or right. Repeat the above step until the front sight post is on target. Getting the Natural Point of Aim in the standing is the most important step when it comes to shooting the standing. When checking your NPOA it is paramount that you DO NOT USE any muscles in your back when looking through your sights. You should be totally relaxed when checking the NPOA and totally relaxed when you finally deliver the shot. If you are flexing any muscles in the back or arms you will not shoot consistantly.

Once you are set on your NPOA you can go ahead with the shot delivery process. Unless you practice everyday for a few months you will have some wobble in your hold. The longer you wait to deliver the shot the more your arms will shake. If you can’t get the shot to break an a short period of time, take the rifle down and relax again. Once you are relaxed begin the process again.

If you want to shoot good scores standing you have to practice and you have to be consistant with everything listed above.

Everything I have listed above was taught to me while attending the Primary Marksmanship Instructor school at Weapons and Field Training BTN, Camp Pendelton, CA. It is S.O.P. for the USMC Rifle team.

Last edited:
Very, very good advice, Derek.

The only things I would add - You can either include the sling in your weak hand grip, or not. However, it must remain a tight "parade" sling in the off-hand position.

To shift your NPOA left or right, simply move the toes left or right on your rear foot. You don't need to shift your entire foot. Also, once you get your NPOA do not move your feet until you have finished your string of fire. If you move your feet, you have to rebuild the position from the start.

You should check your NPOA, as Derek described, and break the shot during your natural respirtory pause. That is, at the end of the exhale, 7 - 10 seconds max. DO NOT tilt / cant the rifle, DO NOT tense any muscles.

Follow through is very important also. After the shot breaks do not move anything until the front post settles back on your target. Don't take a breath, don't move the rifle, don't reset the trigger. This will help ensure you squeeze the trigger instead of jerking it, that you don't move the rifle before the bullet leaves the barrel, helps you stay relaxed through the entire shot, and, if your front sight post does not settle back exactly on the center of the target, your NPOA is not correct and needs to be adjusted.

Use the same routine each and every time, even during dry fire. During a match is no time to try new things.

Probably a very...rookie...question, but what is "canting" the rifle? I assume it has to do with rotating it?

I only get to shoot every Monday night for about an hour so unfortunately I don't think I'll be getting drastically better anytime soon, but I really appreciate all your guys' input. We aren't firing AR-15's (though I'm doing a weekend clinic with them in April), just single shot bolt-actions. Again, thank you guys so much.

Kalahari said:
Probably a very...rookie...question, but what is "canting" the rifle? I assume it has to do with rotating it?

Instead of the sites/rifle being straight, the gun would be tilted like this \ instead of |. Know what I mean?

Yeah, so basically rotating the rifle a few degrees to the left or right. I noticed I naturally did this a little bit when I was holding the rifle...Thanks again.

Kalahari....I know Maureen T. and know that she runs a good program for you juniors. Keep at it. I got started as a junior way back when. At 17 I was on a 3 man team that set a national record in 10 meter 3 position air rifle.

Get some good books on smallbore position shooting and study them. The AMU- Army Marksmanhip Unit has one thats worth reading as are there many more . Shooting in any position involves setting your bony structure to it's at its most solid foundation, finding your natural point of aim, relaxing your muscles and not flexing them to push yourself on to the target, breathe normally a few breathes and hold on a 3/4 exhale. Then it's trigger control, breaking the shot when you're on.

Tony and Derek have given you exellent advice in offhand shooting however I find canting a widely accepted practice especially shooting a match type rifle and not a service type rifle. In offhand I lean back just slightly keeping balanced and cant the rifle in 5 or 6 degrees. It brings the sights up to my eye with my head in a natural comfortable position and keeps me from leaning in to the sights. YOU HAVE TO DO IT THE SAME WAY EVERY TIME. Mind you everyone is built in an anotomiclly different way and what works for one person may not work for another. You got to do a lot of experimenting to find a good position, but as has been said, a match is no place to experiment. Once you find that perfect position you have to duplicate it shot after shot match after match consistantly. It's so hard to do but what a challenge.

Jarhead - I do know of some folks that will cant the rifle a few degrees by rolling it into their stock-weld. As you said, these are usually match, small-smore, or air-rifle and not service. Most are experienced shooters that are familiar enough with their position to duplicate it each time. I just hate adding too much info to a beginner. Good info, though.

Kalahari said:
Hey guys, we just started shooting off-hand in the clinic I attend, and I was wondering if you guys had any tips that helped you out. I was taught both ways to hold the rifle with your left hand (fist or regular), and I didn't notice much of a difference. Do you guys have any small tweaks that you'd recommend? Thanks!

clinic? what is this clinic you speak of?

It's a juniors clinic (I guess thats the term..class?) at the MRA. Every Monday night for an hour (you choose a relay that best suits your schedule, I believe there are 4 total from 5:30 to 9:30)...You can find out more information at the MRA's website www.massrifle.com under the Juniors section.

Back
Top Bottom