Shooting with Movement

I have recently gotten back into the "sport" side of shooting. What I mean by that is I have done a couple local club matches. I was away from shooting for about 8 years. Jumped back in about 2 months ago. Shook the rust off pretty quick as far as my static "stand and shoot". I am shooting a Sig P320 X5 with a Romeo 1. I have no issues putting rounds center of target at 10 yards. 50 shots the size of my fist is not an issue. Here is my issue...

I shot a couple steel plate matches where its 8" targets at 25ft, 5 plates. Goal is to hit all 5 in quickest time possible. I was missing SO LOW on almost every shot that I became convinced I had to have done something to my red dot. Back at the range I check my dot...you all will be shocked to learn...its fine...

I ran some drills shooting at 3 small targets left to right and my issue returned. My first shot is ok (not great, this one is on the low side as well) but as I transition to the right my shots are all missing low. Is this common? Just need practice with transitions? Is this indicative of a particular problem with technique?

my guess is while running against the clock as with plates you're snapping at the trigger causing the gun muzzle to move making the impact low. the key as preached by every professional shooter is still trigger control with speed.

You need to take up trigger slack before you have sight picture and have the gun ready to fire when you do get picture.

Basically you're raping the trigger and likely overcompensating for recoil as well while rushing your shots.

While transitioning you remove trigger slack, not after you are on target.

I have no issues putting rounds center of target at 10 yards. 50 shots the size of my fist is not an issue.

How quickly?

At your own pace, however slow or fast it is, it is easy to maintain proper grip and trigger manipulation. With the stress of time, you are doing something different, probably tightening your dominant hand grip while pressing the trigger which will result in the shot landing low.

I recommend this drill. Large paper target at 10 yards where you are capable of a tight group. Start shooting at your normal pace , and increase your speed with each shot. You should be watching the sights (in your case the red dot ) lift off the target and as soon as it returns to the center of the target, press the trigger again. After some time working on this you should get a feel for how quickly you can keep up with the necessary level of accuracy. I say that because you don't need to shoot 2" groups to clear a plate rack quickly. But you will need to learn to be comfortable shooting fast and accurately at one target before trying working the transition.

A high level shooter can shoot six accurate shots one one target in the same time as 2 shots each on 3 targets, or 1 shot on 6 different targets.

In multiple targets, you must track the dot through recoil off of one target and into the next.

You are not calling you shots and moving the gun before the shot breaks. It could be you are transitioning your eyes off the target before the shot breaks, or pressing the gun down to control recoil before the transition. Or looking over the gun to see the hits.

Call you shots, see your sights lift

I have recently gotten back into the "sport" side of shooting. What I mean by that is I have done a couple local club matches. I was away from shooting for about 8 years. Jumped back in about 2 months ago. Shook the rust off pretty quick as far as my static "stand and shoot". I am shooting a Sig P320 X5 with a Romeo 1. I have no issues putting rounds center of target at 10 yards. 50 shots the size of my fist is not an issue. Here is my issue...

I shot a couple steel plate matches where its 8" targets at 25ft, 5 plates. Goal is to hit all 5 in quickest time possible. I was missing SO LOW on almost every shot that I became convinced I had to have done something to my red dot. Back at the range I check my dot...you all will be shocked to learn...its fine...

I ran some drills shooting at 3 small targets left to right and my issue returned. My first shot is ok (not great, this one is on the low side as well) but as I transition to the right my shots are all missing low. Is this common? Just need practice with transitions? Is this indicative of a particular problem with technique?

Next time u practice after the first shot do not release the trigger then slowly find the reset and squeeze again, then repeat. I’m assuming you have the flat trigger. Unlike the curved trigger it is slightly pointed forwards and breaks at 90 degrees. What I find is that ur finger is over reaching a lil because of the angle of the trigger you end up putting too much torque thus pulling down the muzzle ever so slightly. When u do the drill making sure proper finger position. I bet u won’t have that issue anymore.

Have you watched any Jerry M videos on YouTube. Specifically the one about shooting on the move with pistols or any drill with pistols. You are probably not square to the target.

You are not calling you shots and moving the gun before the shot breaks. It could be you are transitioning your eyes off the target before the shot breaks, or pressing the gun down to control recoil before the transition. Or looking over the gun to see the hits.

Call you shots, see your sights lift

Channeling Steve Anderson? 'cause that sounds exactly like what he would say in these circumstances. And he's an excellent teacher. You've got to see your sights lift to know where that shot went. That's how I fixed my double-tapping misses after listening to him. (Until the buzzer goes off and my brain goes on vacation)

Back
Top Bottom