Off Duty NYPD Officer Shoots Gun Out Of Robbers Hands

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/26/nyregion/26salon.html?_r=1

Excerpt:

In Salon Shootout, an Officer’s Well-Aimed Bullets

An off-duty police officer who got into a shootout with an armed robber as the officer was getting her hair done in a beauty salon in Brooklyn on Saturday night shot the gunman’s revolver out of his hands, police officials said on Monday.

This happened after the criminal fired 4 shots at her, with a .44 magnum, from 12 feet away and missed.
[shocked]

Mr. Browne said Officer Jones’s performance was commended at an internal police briefing by Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly, who said that “her reserve under fire was matched only by her marksmanship.”

You can't even make this s**t up!

[rofl][laugh2]

Another shot hit the lock on the front door, jamming it. The gunman tried to flee, Mr. Browne said, but could not get the door open.
ahahahahahahaha,awesome...and i thought you can see this only in movies

The real question, both unasked and unanswered, is where was she aiming when this happened. My money says it wasn't at the gun.

Ken

Two amazing things just happened. An article was written where the presence of a gun saved lives, and it was actually printed. Second, a cop shot a black man, and the Reverend Al Sharpton has not complained about it.

In other news, she fired 5 times from 12 feet away and only hit him once. I think she should get a commendation, and a refresher course on the range.

"Officer Jones, a native of Barbados, joined the department in 1990 and has worked the past 12 years in the evidence collection unit in the crime lab. It was the first time she had fired her gun in the line of duty, Mr. Browne said."

Well, I would hope this was the first time since she works INDOORS at the crime lab!

Oh, I hear ya. But, her target was him?

Maybe that is what she was subconsciously aiming at..... I read on the Internet that that's why people shoot at the hands.

But she probably just got lucky.... ;)

Not suprising. Massad Ayoob has said most inexperienced people tend to focus on the gun instead of the body and have to be taught not to do this. Appears this is just what this cop did.

Not suprising. Massad Ayoob has said most inexperienced people tend to focus on the gun instead of the body and have to be taught not to do this. Appears this is just what this cop did.
Indeed - my grousing on this issue was at the idea that this was intentional feeding into the myth... Not her actions - she did what she had to do and got 'er done...

Snub-nosed revolver + trigger snatching = not the best accuracy ever. But good on her; she got her job done anyway. Bet the robber isn't overjoyed with a 135gr Speer Gold Dot .38 +P in his hand either.

The part I thought was funny here is that the robber was using a single-action .44 revolver. I gather the use of cowboy guns by criminals is not actually that uncommon, but it sure gave me a chuckle.

The real question, both unasked and unanswered, is where was she aiming when this happened. My money says it wasn't at the gun.

Ken

Probably center-mass, but article said he was firing with a two-hand hold, so his hands could have been close to center-mass.

Two amazing things just happened. An article was written where the presence of a gun saved lives, and it was actually printed. Second, a cop shot a black man, and the Reverend Al Sharpton has not complained about it.

In other news, she fired 5 times from 12 feet away and only hit him once. I think she should get a commendation, and a refresher course on the range.

She's black as well as the perp, so Al is staying home. [thinking]

The article would NOT have been so positive if it was John/Sally Q Citizen with permit instead of an off-duty PO.

I agree that more range time would be useful. She got lucky . . . and where are the other two slugs?

She aimed center mass, his hands got in the way.

Very possible.

When I took LFI-1 and 2, Ayoob said that people often get target fixation during gun fights, and they focus on the attacker's gun instinctively. As a result, people in gun fights often get shot in the hand. So, you could argue that she was or was not aiming at the gun [wink]. But I'm sure it was not her intention to shoot the gun out of the perp's hand.

This was after the perp fired four shots at her with a .44 mag.
Most people would crap their pants in that situation, regardless of what kind of gun the bullets came from. I'm also guessing that the shots were pretty damn loud too, being fired indoors with no hearing protection. Just the sound alone would scare the bejesus out of most people. Good job on her part.

Most people would crap their pants in that situation, regardless of what kind of gun the bullets came from. I'm also guessing that the shots were pretty damn loud too, being fired indoors with no hearing protection. Just the sound alone would scare the bejesus out of most people. Good job on her part.
100% agreed... I did not mean to imply otherwise...

Her ears probably didn't even ring. Mine don't when I shoot at deer or quail. Something with the adrenaline flow I guess.

When I took LFI-1 and 2, Ayoob said that people often get target fixation during gun fights, and they focus on the attacker's gun instinctively. As a result, people in gun fights often get shot in the hand. So, you could argue that she was or was not aiming at the gun [wink]. But I'm sure it was not her intention to shoot the gun out of the perp's hand.

More likely they're just shooting at center mass and the gun got in the way. It happens all the time in force on force training.

Ken

"Officer Jones, a native of Barbados, joined the department in 1990 and has worked the past 12 years in the evidence collection unit in the crime lab. It was the first time she had fired her gun in the line of duty, Mr. Browne said."

Well, I would hope this was the first time since she works INDOORS at the crime lab!

Except for the mandatory "Desk Pop".

PULP

Jules: Don't do that! Don't you f-ing do that! Don't blow this sh-t off! What just happened was a f-ing miracle!

Vincent: Chill the f out, Jules, this sh-t happens.

Jules: Wrong! Wrong, this sh-t doesn't just happen.

Vincent: Do you wanna continue this theological discussion in the car, or at the jailhouse with the cops?

Jules: We should be f-in' dead now, my friend! We just witnessed a miracle, and I want you to f-ing acknowledge it!

Vincent: Okay man, it was a miracle, can we leave now?

FICTION

I love that movie.

What does marcallus wallace look like?
What?
Say what again! I dare you, I double dare you motha f*cka! Say what one more God damned time!
He's big
yes?
He's Bald
go on
He's black

Does he look like a bitch?
What? ::bang::
DOES HE LOOK...LIKE A BITCH?!
NOO!

Good deal. Now the press will forever ask why NYPD cops don't just shoot guns out of people's hands.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom