OC/Pepper Class?

MetalgodZ

NES Member
I was in buying bulk .22 today and the woman at the counter next to me was in looking for which pellet pistol and pellets would be best suited for self defense. [shocked]

She explained that she needed to protect herself while in her bedroom, and the woman with her (her daughter?) mentioned that she did not want to have a "real pistol." I strongly advised against using a pellet pistol for self defense, even in the small bedroom, and mentioned that an FID to allow her to purchase OC would be a MUCH better use of the money she was planning on spending on a pellet gun.

I have her email address, and promised to send her contact details for someone who runs a course on OC use. I don't remember whether or not a class is required for the LTC restricted to OC, but if anyone knows of someone who does inidividual or small group classes with a class scheduled soon, please post or PM. She seemed nervous - almost like there was some imminent threat - so I have the feeling she'd be more comfortable with a female instructor, but ANYTHING'S better than a pellet pistol.

Ideas?

A pellet pistol? What are they planning to defend themselves against? Squirrels?
Seriously. The best pellet rifle I've shot was like 1100fps w/ a .17 cal pellet. Now take that barrel and make it 3" long. [rolleyes]

It was Wal Mart, 11AM, on Saturday. I had not showered, shaved, and I'd just unexpectedly spent the night an hour from home...so as the unshowered, unshaven, long-haired scraggly hippie kid wearing a "wife beater" and camo shorts, I wasn't about to go into a stopping power discussion with the woman at the ammo counter. [laugh]

no class just pay like $25 for the FID
Good. At least it's not required.

Given the knowledge that had been displayed (and the lack of knowledge displayed by the guy behind the counter - "use these hollow point ones") I thought it best to suggest a course.

Try contacting GOAL. They might know of someone certified in OC training near her. I know that Big Daddy here does teach OC as well, but IIRC he's North Shore.

It's certainly not the best solution, especially in enclosed spaces (bedroom), but better than a pellet gun . . . however she'll be at least as affected by it as the perp . . . probably more so as perps who will break into a woman's bedroom while she's home are usually hyped up on drugs and feel no pain.

Back
Top Bottom