OC in NH Anybody do it?

No, I was referring to when the law is ambigous, and people make a decision that runs afoul of an officer, and then it goes to court. Win or lose, you'll have to pony some money up to a lawer; and if it goes poorly for you, then the precedent is set for everyone else.

This is what I was referring to in my post. I know that the courts only deal with currently written laws. BUT I would not be surprised if some overzealous judge added more to a law (about carrying a gun on a college campus) through judicial activism. And since I do not have the faculties to search NH court cases, I cannot verify if some judge has done that.

I'm 22 yrs old and I feel that if I were to OC in NH I would get hassled for it. I have my CC permit so thats what I feel more comfortable with. I don't want to have to deal with some over anxious soccer mom who's never seen a gun in real life before.

I'm roughly your age and haven't had any problems, I think it's more how you represent yourself. If you carry yourself like a respectable member of society who happens to have a firearm it's different from being a sketchball carrying a gat. I dress reasonably well, decent jeans, hoodie from my college and what not and nobody has had any issue with me carrying from what I can tell.

Also, my carry firearm is a bit hard to conceal so a lot of times it's just easier for me to OC.

This is what I was referring to in my post. I know that the courts only deal with currently written laws. BUT I would not be surprised if some overzealous judge added more to a law (about carrying a gun on a college campus) through judicial activism. And since I do not have the faculties to search NH court cases, I cannot verify if some judge has done that.
[rolleyes]

I've OCed in NH before I got my non res from them, and I think I oc'ed once running to Walmart late, but no real reason... It is very comforting to know you don't have to "worry about" printing if you do throw a shirt over it though...

I've gone OC during visits to the Lakes Region, with no complaints. Getting a non-resident pistol permit soon though...really don't like showing all my cards. NH does give the option of concealed and unloaded without a permit, which is an alternative I sometimes use.

Yikes, why would you carry an unloaded gun? No offense meant, just asking honestly.

Yes,

With a Revolver and Pistol permit within the State of New Hampshire, you may carry a concealled (hidden from casual observation) loaded revolver or pistol on your person. You may also carry a loaded revolver or pistol in a motor vehicle.

Without a Revolver and Pistol permit, within the State of New Hampshire, you may carry:

A concealled (hidden from casual observation) an unloaded revolver or pistol or on your person
An unloaded revolver or pistol in a motor vehicle
An openly displayed (visual by casual observation) a loaded or unloaded relvolver or pistol.

"Loaded" is defined as with magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip containing loaded cartriages.

Generally, if you pop the magazine and unload the chambered round and place the magazine and round in your opposite pocket, the pistol will not be considered "with" the magazine, however if an officer pushes it, you could find youself defending that position in court (though unlikely)

If you don't have a Revolver/Pistol Permit for NH and you are carrying:

1) flip your shirt/coat over the butt of the gun so that it's no longer concealled. Just make sure it says flipped

2) remove the cartriages and place them in your pocket, carrier, box, etc.

3) If you are getting into a car, remove the magazine (pistol) or unload the cylindar (revolver). If you remove the magazine, place it in the glove compartment. (see above note about very unlikely, but potentially arguing your position in court)

4) Hand the firearm to someone who is properly licenced.

Yikes, why would you carry an unloaded gun? No offense meant, just asking honestly.

Because sometimes you're carrying and don't like the alternative (open carry)

If you with someone who either isn't carrying or has a permit, hand them the loaded magazine that they can hand to you if something goes wrong.

(26) The term “school” means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law. 18 U.S.C.A. § 921.

III. “School” means any public or private elementary, secondary, or secondary vocational-technical school in New Hampshire. N.H. Rev. Stat. § 193-D:1.

There is no ambiguity - it is not illegal to carry a firearm on a college campus in New Hampshire.

Yes,

With a Revolver and Pistol permit within the State of New Hampshire, you may carry a concealled (hidden from casual observation) loaded revolver or pistol on your person. You may also carry a loaded revolver or pistol in a motor vehicle.

Without a Revolver and Pistol permit, within the State of New Hampshire, you may carry:

A concealled (hidden from casual observation) an unloaded revolver or pistol or on your person
An unloaded revolver or pistol in a motor vehicle
An openly displayed (visual by casual observation) a loaded or unloaded relvolver or pistol.

"Loaded" is defined as with magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip containing loaded cartriages.

Generally, if you pop the magazine and unload the chambered round and place the magazine and round in your opposite pocket, the pistol will not be considered "with" the magazine, however if an officer pushes it, you could find youself defending that position in court (though unlikely)

If you don't have a Revolver/Pistol Permit for NH and you are carrying:

1) flip your shirt/coat over the butt of the gun so that it's no longer concealled. Just make sure it says flipped

2) remove the cartriages and place them in your pocket, carrier, box, etc.

3) If you are getting into a car, remove the magazine (pistol) or unload the cylindar (revolver). If you remove the magazine, place it in the glove compartment. (see above note about very unlikely, but potentially arguing your position in court)

4) Hand the firearm to someone who is properly licenced.

5) Get a NH revolver/pistol permit

I oc'd when I first moved here for a while.

There's really no reason to now. I CC at work because I work with the public and dont trust them and I CC when I go out places.

Now I only OC when fishing or hiking. Not because I expect to be assaulted by some vengeful fish or hungry moose but because I'm out there all alone.

I open carry often.I live in a rural area and don't worry about what the neighbors think.Around the sawmill,the neighbors farm,dump,local gun shop no one cares.If I'm going into a large store,I might put on a cover shirt or jacket but other than that I go with my surroundings.

Going into a Wal-Mart with a friend who was OCing up in/near Manchester was a fun experience. Mostly there was little to no reaction, but there certainly were some people giving wide-eyed stares to his hip. He had to return it to the car when he went to buy ammo since apparently their store policy is to not allow you to purchase ammo for any weapons you have in your possession on premises. We all know it's impossible for someone to walk out to their car to get said gun after they've purchased the ammo if they really had any ill intentions... [rolleyes]

Or to have a concealed firearm in that caliber that they don't see when they sell you the ammo. But that's probably just some clerk
s policy, and not the store, I've never heard that one before.

For a pistol or revolver to be "loaded" and thus illegal to carry concealled withing the state of New Hampshire, the ammunition must be in the magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip. Carrying ammunition on your person does not qualify as a loaded weapon.

Thanks for the info, I stand corrected. [grin]

It is very comforting to know you don't have to "worry about" printing if you do throw a shirt over it though...

That is nice.

That sounds like very shaky legal ground to me, but if it's your only option than it might be the best one for you.

More on-topic response:
Going into a Wal-Mart with a friend who was OCing up in/near Manchester was a fun experience. Mostly there was little to no reaction, but there certainly were some people giving wide-eyed stares to his hip. He had to return it to the car when he went to buy ammo since apparently their store policy is to not allow you to purchase ammo for any weapons you have in your possession on premises. We all know it's impossible for someone to walk out to their car to get said gun after they've purchased the ammo if they really had any ill intentions... [rolleyes]

I believe this would have to be a location policy or clerk policy, I went to Amherst and bought ammo while open carrying my .45 the clerk gave me a bit of a wide eyed look when he walked over to the counter but after that he was perfectly pleasant and helpful.

So, I finally got my carry pistol a couple weeks ago and have been carrying ever since. I've been doing some OC and some conceal carry depending on where I have been. I realized I haven't seen anybody else OC since I moved to NH about 7 months ago.

So my question is does anybody else OC very often? The few places I have nobody has really caused a fuss which is nice I've had pleasant conversations with people at the supermarket without people acting weird.
I could see carrying open if you were Hunting, Hiking, Camping etc. But why on earth would you want to advertise to anyone that you were carrying a firearm?
particularly if your reason for carrying is personal protection. If you were standing in line at the 7 eleven and some freak walked in to rob the place the first guy he's going to shoot is you. It really makes a difference if you have the element of surprise. It does not pay to be a showoff, just carry concealed and be content in knowing that you have the means to defend youself from a violent attack! [smile]

I open carry around town for comfort and because I can,If you don't like it don't do it.When out of my area I carry concealed.I have no problem with those that oc all the time.

Back
Top Bottom