OC in NH Anybody do it?

So, I finally got my carry pistol a couple weeks ago and have been carrying ever since. I've been doing some OC and some conceal carry depending on where I have been. I realized I haven't seen anybody else OC since I moved to NH about 7 months ago.

So my question is does anybody else OC very often? The few places I have nobody has really caused a fuss which is nice I've had pleasant conversations with people at the supermarket without people acting weird.

So, I finally got my carry pistol a couple weeks ago and have been carrying ever since. I've been doing some OC and some conceal carry depending on where I have been. I realized I haven't seen anybody else OC since I moved to NH about 7 months ago.

So my question is does anybody else OC very often? The few places I have nobody has really caused a fuss which is nice I've had pleasant conversations with people at the supermarket without people acting weird.

I could OC but I find CC more comfortable since I don't really have a good OC holster.

I've gone OC during visits to the Lakes Region, with no complaints. Getting a non-resident pistol permit soon though...really don't like showing all my cards. NH does give the option of concealed and unloaded without a permit, which is an alternative I sometimes use.

I have done it on visits there, and no one reacted at all, positive or negative. Most people didn't notice as far as I could tell [rolleyes] Just over the border in Vermont I had a guy ask what caliber the revolver I was carrying was. Pretty boring, which was great as far as I was concerned :)

NH does give the option of concealed and unloaded without a permit, which is an alternative I sometimes use.

Just remember that to be legal while doing this you can't have any ammunition on your person whatsoever.

Every now and then I'll do it just because I feel like it.

That reminds me of a funny story. I went to the barber shop in Concord a few weeks back for a haircut. I was wearing my S&W 642 IWB with a hooded sweatshirt over it. The barber asked me to take the sweatshirt off so it wasn't in the way so I stood up and took it off, obviously revealing the gun. I turned around and this guy sitting in one of the waiting chairs was looking at me with the widest eyes I'd ever seen. I thought oh great, here comes a big scene. He just sat there looking with these big eyes and thought, okay this guys creeping me out. It took me a few minutes to realize that he just had these really big eyes and looked like a deer in the headlights naturally, I was chuckling out loud when I figured it out.

I assume you do have a CC permit that is required even for NH residents?

The only time I've seen it is in "protests" or "demostrations" or what ever you want to call it. A former member here OC's his ar15 pistol. Google the words "doobie" "open" and "carry".

about half the time I carry I OC. if you're decently dressed and fairly clean cut most people just seem to assume you're supposed to have it. which is true, but not for the reasons they think.

I remember hearing something about a "Doobie" that OC's in NH.

Can anyone point me in the proper direction to find our why he was "removed" from the forum? I was never able to figure out why.

When I go camping or hiking in NH, I usually OC. Or if I don't have the right pair of pants available for my IWB holster, I will OC in NH.

I think a lot of it has to do with how you carry yourself, and present yourself. Be confident, friendly,.. a normal responsible guy/girl, and you lessen the likelihood of problems. Use a good retention holster.
I did it in Hanover, including the Dartmouth Bookstore, where I bought a book, and a cup of coffee, and sat and read it for a half an hour, on a busy weekend. Nothing whatsoever, in terms of reactions.

I did it in Hanover, including the Dartmouth Bookstore, where I bought a book, and a cup of coffee, and sat and read it for a half an hour, on a busy weekend. Nothing whatsoever, in terms of reactions.

Wow. I'm impressed. With all those dirty hippies who end up at Dartmouth I would have expected one of them would have said something.

Did you make sure to pace off your 1000' distance from the school?

Wow. I'm impressed. With all those dirty hippies who end up at Dartmouth I would have expected one of them would have said something.

Did you make sure to pace off your 1000' distance from the school?
I assume this is some reference to the Gun Free School Zone Act of 1996. Even without getting into the discussion of whether or not GFZA applies to licensed NH carriers, the "school" in GFSZ means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law. In this US, this is high school, not college. See Section 921(a).

I assume this is some reference to the Gun Free School Zone Act of 1996. Even without getting into the discussion of whether or not GFZA applies to licensed NH carriers, the "school" in GFSZ means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law. In this US, this is high school, not college. See Section 921(a).

Which is why as near I can tell, if you carry a gun on a college campus in NH, you are not breaking the law. You may be breaking a policy of the college and they can ask you to leave. However, it may in fact be illegal due to some court case that I am unaware of since I do not have the resources to look up court case in NH without paying a lawyer.

Yes, that was my understanding. They could have asked me to leave, and of course I would have, but it Dartmouth is a private college, and not included in any school zone laws in NH. I'd recommend you research the laws yourself too .. not saying you might not have someone raise a stink.. etc ianal. If I was a student there, they could expel me, but I was just some shmoe reading a book :p
With all those dirty hippies who end up at Dartmouth I would have expected one of them would have said something.
I thought the same thing. Hippies, liberal college professors. I learned that hippies and liberal college professors either: A)aren't too interested in what anyone else is doing or; B)they don't care about people carrying when it comes down to it. I'd like to think B), but it's probably A).
/shrug

Last edited:
Which is why as near I can tell, if you carry a gun on a college campus in NH, you are not breaking the law. You may be breaking a policy of the college and they can ask you to leave. However, it may in fact be illegal due to some court case that I am unaware of since I do not have the resources to look up court case in NH without paying a lawyer.
Something can't be "illegal due to some court case." Courts do nothing more than interpret/apply existing law. There must be an underlying law you are violating.

Something can't be "illegal due to some court case." Courts do nothing more than interpret/apply existing law. There must be an underlying law you are violating.

But who wants to be the court case that interprets it for the rest of us?

While I would agree that what you have stated is the intent of the judicial branch, I would argue that through judicial activism they, at times, use their "interpretations and applications of existing laws" to essentially act as the legislature by setting precedence based on their personal beliefs as to the spirit of the law as opposed to what the law states (or vice versa).

More on-topic response:
Going into a Wal-Mart with a friend who was OCing up in/near Manchester was a fun experience. Mostly there was little to no reaction, but there certainly were some people giving wide-eyed stares to his hip. He had to return it to the car when he went to buy ammo since apparently their store policy is to not allow you to purchase ammo for any weapons you have in your possession on premises. We all know it's impossible for someone to walk out to their car to get said gun after they've purchased the ammo if they really had any ill intentions... [rolleyes]

I open carry on occation, especially while hiking. It's just easier and more comfortable in that enviornment, and I don't have to worry about grab attempts since I don't allow people that close to me while hiking (there's just no need)

Otherwise, when I carry, it's concealled, though it's nice to know I wont get arrested for "flashing" should I move wrong and the weapon becomes momentarily visible.

Just remember that to be legal while doing this you can't have any ammunition on your person whatsoever.

That's not actually accurate.

159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction.
Source. 1923, 118:4. PL 149:4. RL 179:4. 1951, 151:1. RSA 159:4. 1967, 220:3. 1973, 528:84. 1994, 48:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1995.

For a pistol or revolver to be "loaded" and thus illegal to carry concealled withing the state of New Hampshire, the ammunition must be in the magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip. Carrying ammunition on your person does not qualify as a loaded weapon.

That's how Open Carry became illegal in MA. A police officer decided it was "assault" and a judge agreed. Now, open carry is illegal in MA under "Assault" Try to find an actual law in the MGL that prohibts open carry, there isn't one.
Unable to find source for Assualt Case. and thus ammended. However several sites have supported that some juristictions have stated this is a reason for "unsuitability" despite not being illegal.

Last edited:
That's how Open Carry became illegal in MA. A police officer decided it was "assault" and a judge agreed. Now, open carry is illegal in MA under "Assault" Try to find an actual law in the MGL that prohibts open carry, there isn't one.
Can you cite this, please? Can any of our other MA brethren confirm that OC is, in fact, illegal in MA? Len? This runs counter to previous statements on this subject, in which the objection to OC was the risk of being found to be an "unsuitable" person, not a legal one. I'd like to see the court case cite, if you can.

The MGLs do not specifically address "Open Carry" however, most jurisdictions do not approve of the practice and doing so may bring into question one's suitability as far as the licensing authority is concerned.

The only mention of "Carry" in any sense in MGL c.140 s.131 on Licenses to Carry firearms exists in the definition of a Class B license pertains to a denial of the ability to carry concealed where it states: "that a Class B license shall not entitle the holder thereof to carry or possess a loaded firearm in a concealed manner in any public way or place".

MGL c.269 s.10 deals with Crimes Against Public Peace and states that:
"No person having in effect a license to carry firearms for any purpose, issued under section one hundred and thirty-one or section one hundred and thirty-one F of chapter one hundred and forty shall be deemed to be in violation of this section."
Again though, that does not mean that the issuing authority won't bring into question your suitability simply because that's their prerogative.

*IANAL* -- these are only cursory cites and are in no way comprehensive but they do go along with everything I have heard on the subject.

Last edited:
I've gone OC during visits to the Lakes Region, with no complaints. Getting a non-resident pistol permit soon though...really don't like showing all my cards. NH does give the option of concealed and unloaded without a permit, which is an alternative I sometimes use.

For clarifications sake, if the OP has a revolver/pistol permit he can open carry (loaded) within the state of NH... if he so chooses to conceal the revolver/pistol he may do so (loaded) either inside or outside his car. correct?

For clarifications sake, if the OP has a revolver/pistol permit he can open carry (loaded) within the state of NH... if he so chooses to conceal the revolver/pistol he may do so (loaded) either inside or outside his car. correct?

To clarify-

No license of any sort is needed to open carry in NH.

If you wish to conceal carry a revolver or pistol or have an openly carried pistol or revolver LOADED in a vehicle you need a concealed carry license.

That just doesn't make sense. Please cite the law that concerns you. Are you worried that some court will interpret your carrying a gun as violating the speed limit?[rolleyes]

No, I was referring to when the law is ambigous, and people make a decision that runs afoul of an officer, and then it goes to court. Win or lose, you'll have to pony some money up to a lawer; and if it goes poorly for you, then the precedent is set for everyone else.

I'm 22 yrs old and I feel that if I were to OC in NH I would get hassled for it. I have my CC permit so thats what I feel more comfortable with. I don't want to have to deal with some over anxious soccer mom who's never seen a gun in real life before.

Back
Top Bottom