Obtaining a Class A in Fitchburg

You've got a few weeks, more than likely. It's easier to stop thinking about it and then get surprised. My first LTC years ago took almost 2 months.

-Mike

Indeed. My original back in 1995 took 1 day short of 2 full months. My wife's took about 6.5 weeks back in August of this year.

Indeed. My original back in 1995 took 1 day short of 2 full months. My wife's took about 6.5 weeks back in August of this year.
Mine was 4 weeks on the dot, but then again I'm in the Guards and both of my letters/references were SFCs in the Guards too.

Hi BCEagleAce, welcome, I am a newbie like you. You asked about guns for home protection. For what little it's worth, all my research pointed me in the direction of a shotgun being the best gun for home defense situations and that is what I settled on. Others will disagree, but for me a shotgun was the best choice because:
1) I am very concerned with overpenetration of walls and such. If you load a shotgun with a couple shells of birdshot followed up by a couple 00 buck you can minimize overpenetration and still have some very effective loads at short range.
2) a shotgun is very threatening. When someone is pointing a shotgun, even in the dark, the bad guy is pretty sure it is a gun. The same can't be said for a small blued handguns which might not even be noticed in dim light.
3) some shotguns are cheap. You can get a mossberg 500, a very common reliable shotgun, for ~$300. I got the "field and security" combo which comes with a short barrel and field length barrel.

As for a handgun for a newcomer to the sport. My research pointed me to a double action revolver like the S&W J-frame in .38 special. These are small, reliable, simple, and relatively inexpensive. For someone just learning and getting comfortable with guns, they seem like a good entry point. S&W even has a rebate going on them right now.

SKSmass, you did your research well. The choices you made are near perfect for a minimum battery of guns, especially for a beginner.

Practice with that shotgun. You do have to aim to hit something especially at close range where the shot pattern doesn't open up much more than your fist.

The .38 Revolver is a great choice. Dependable and easy to use, and very effective with the right ammo.

the only thing I might suggest different would be to buy a .357 revolver, and use .38 Special ammo in it, until you're ready to step up to .357. A .357 can use both calibers. It just gives you more flexibility.

Good choices. +1 to a newbie who did his homework.

Welcome to the forum

You can get a mossberg 500, a very common reliable shotgun, for ~$300. I got the "field and security" combo which comes with a short barrel and field length barrel.

As for a handgun for a newcomer to the sport. My research pointed me to a double action revolver like the S&W J-frame in .38 special. These are small, reliable, simple, and relatively inexpensive. For someone just learning and getting comfortable with guns, they seem like a good entry point. S&W even has a rebate going on them right now.
I need to comment on two points here:

1 - A Mossberg 500 "combo" with both slug and smoothbore barrels is $300 at Dicks right now... but you can find them for a LOT less used.

2 - I would NNOT recommend a J-frame for a first gun - a snubby has a lot more recoil than, say, a medium framed revolver. Better to go with a S&W Model 66 or 686 or a Ruger GP100 in .357, as Depicts says. More versatile that way, and it doesn't have the more punishing recoil of a snubby. (at least, a newbie would think it punishing).

BTW... my first handgun? S&W Model 19 - the 66 is the stainless version. First shotgun? Mossy 500. Still have both, too.

1) I am very concerned with overpenetration of walls and such. If you load a shotgun with a couple shells of birdshot followed up by a couple 00 buck you can minimize overpenetration and still have some very effective loads at short range.

Just to add for clarity. Bird shot may not cross the street after going through two walls, but it can go through an interior wall and out the other side with plenty of force. Aiming for and hitting your target is still your most effective means of preventing collateral damage. Still a good choice, but not by any means fool proof.
Buckshot is a whole other story and that will go through multiple walls including exterior ones with enough force to still kill. You may as well have a handgun at that point.

I've heard the shotgun might be the way to go for home protection. That said, what is a practical way to keep a shotgun safely at home (I have two children), but have it quickly and readily available if needed?

As for handguns, I just had a lesson with a certified instructor and it was great. I would HIGHLY recommend this for other newbies. He did about an hour and a half, all with different .22s. This weekend, we will do another lesson with .357 up to .45s. Personally, I like the design and magazine style of a semi auto gun vs. a revolver. I've heard a number of times that the revolver is a better beginner gun though. I guess I'll see what I like this weekend when I shoot different kinds.

I know that the different manufacturers have pluses and minuses, but are there any manufacturers that I should really avoid because of quality, or pay special attention to for the same reason?

I've heard the shotgun might be the way to go for home protection. That said, what is a practical way to keep a shotgun safely at home (I have two children), but have it quickly and readily available if needed?

Somewhere in my travels I have seen a "safe" that wraps around the shotgun/rifle sort of like a huge trigger lock. It has electronic quick entry codes and such. Not sure if it fits MA's definition of locked up on hi-cap rifles but it should be good to go on shotguns.

Not sure if it fits MA's definition of locked up on hi-cap rifles but it should be good to go on shotguns.

C 140 § 131L makes no distinction between large capacity and non-large capacity weapons when describing how they must be stored. It does carry larger penalties for improper storage of large capacity weapons, but the storage criteria for all firearms, rifles, shotguns, and machine guns is "secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user."

C 140 § 131L makes no distinction between large capacity and non-large capacity weapons when describing how they must be stored. It does carry larger penalties for improper storage of large capacity weapons, but the storage criteria for all firearms, rifles, shotguns, and machine guns is "secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user."

Maybe I was confusing it with transport rules or something. My bad.

2) a shotgun is very threatening. When someone is pointing a shotgun, even in the dark, the bad guy is pretty sure it is a gun. The same can't be said for a small blued handguns which might not even be noticed in dim light.
3) some shotguns are cheap. You can get a mossberg 500, a very common reliable shotgun, for ~$300. I got the "field and security" combo which comes with a short barrel and field length barrel.

I apologize for the off-topic post, but as a new guy myself, I have to share this site that my old man led me to when I first decided to arm myself a couple years ago..

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

Real-world penetration tests, and a load of invaluable data on how bullets interact with materials.

Also, if you're on a REAL tight budget, the Maverick 88 is cheaper than the Mossy even, and virtually identical.

I know that the different manufacturers have pluses and minuses, but are there any manufacturers that I should really avoid because of quality, or pay special attention to for the same reason?

Llama, Jennings, Davis, some Star stuff, High-point (Saw a couple of High-point pistols at Callaghan's a few weeks ago... man, did those things feel like crap)... some folks don't like Taurus; to me, it seems that they're very variable. I've seen some Taurus revolvers that are utter crap, and then there are the Raging Bull .44 Magnums... which I lust after. I'd say that with Taurus, inspect whatever you're looking at VERY carefully.

Unless of course you are being brutally attacked by a flock of birds... then you would be very thankful you loaded up with bird shot...

[rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

Ducks and Geese can be aggressive... I run near a pond sometimes and they refuse to GTFO my way and leave terds all over the sidewalk... [laugh]

Personally, I like the design and magazine style of a semi auto gun vs. a revolver. I've heard a number of times that the revolver is a better beginner gun though. I guess I'll see what I like this weekend when I shoot different kinds.

Two more considerations to add to your equation:

1) Your ability to hit anything. I remember when I took my pistol course we finally worked our way up to a shoot a .45. When it came my time to shoot, I concentrated and squeezed off three slow shots and then squinted downrange to see how close they were to the bullseye. I couldn't see the holes. So, an optimist, I assumed that I had shot three shots directly through one another, leaving just a single hole that I just couldn't make out at that distance. Sadly, the instructor had to tell me I hadn't even hit the paper. I am sure I would improve with practice, but that first experience was discouraging.

2) The cost of ammo. You don't want to get gun where the cost of ammo will discourage you from spending time at the range.

Some people will swear up and down that a .45 is the only gun worth carrying. I respect that opinion, but because of considerations #1 and #2 above, if I had a .45, instead of shooting it I might just as well take a couple of quarters out of my pocket and huck them downrange.

CLASS A LTC READY FOR PICK UP!

Hello All - 4 weeks to the date, my class A is ready for pick up! Got a call from the licensing officer on Thursday and I'm picking up on Saturday.

THANK YOU to everybody on this forum who have helped tremendously before and during the application process! Can't wait to go gun shopping!!!

Hello All - 4 weeks to the date, my class A is ready for pick up! Got a call from the licensing officer on Thursday and I'm picking up on Saturday.

Congrats! What are you buying first?

Edit: I just saw your other post. Looks like you've gotten a lot of good suggestions on stores and equipment!

Last edited:
I haven't been this excited about a shopping trip since I saved money for 8 months to buy a nintendo, games and controllers... of course I was like 10!

I haven't been this excited about a shopping trip since I saved money for 8 months to buy a nintendo, games and controllers... of course I was like 10!

Don't act like you are ten when you get whatever firearm you pick up and all will be good... [smile]
Was it unrestricted?

Duplicating my efforts on another thread, but I did my last lesson today and I've settled on some purchases.

Also, I picked up my Class A this morning at the police station. Something interesting, I've heard ALP refered to. My license only says "Restrictions: None"

I've got a big gun shopping day tomorrow. Actually like the .45 M&P the best of everthing I have shot so far. Getting that, a .22 for target, and possibly a 9mm... I'll just keep buying for now until my wife blows a fuse.

Also, I picked up my Class A this morning at the police station.

Congrats! That was relatively fast!

Something interesting, I've heard ALP refered to. My license only says "Restrictions: None"

ALP was the old hat definition. Oddly enough Fitchburg was putting "ALP" in the restrictions box on the new licenses for awhile, my GF got a license from them a year or so ago and it said "Restrictions: All Lawful Purposes" go figure... [laugh] My recent renewal says "Restrictions: None" functionally they''re not really different.

I've got a big gun shopping day tomorrow. Actually like the .45 M&P the best of everthing I have shot so far. Getting that, a .22 for target, and possibly a 9mm... I'll just keep buying for now until my wife blows a fuse.

If you've got a limited budget I'd suggest finding other folks and shooting their guns first. If NES had been around when I first got licensed I would have been able to refine my tastes without spending nearly as much money..... [laugh]

-Mike

Congrats on the LTC. I myself am a political refugee from Mass,now living in NH. I grew up in Gardner and did business at Match Shot. not a bad place, but don't put too much faith in Lloyds knowledge of guns. I won't go into details, but trust me on this one. Your best bet for good iventory and friendly service is State Line in Mason. Just a short trip up Rt 31, right over the line. They have lots of Mass OK guns, are very friendly and know of what they speak. Tell them the mailman sent you.
As for Ranges, if you head west a little you can join clubs in Athol and Winchendon. Athol has an indoor pistol range and Winchendon has the advantage of being in the middle of no where, so you're not "bothering" anybody when you shoot.
Best of luck, move out of Mass as soon as you can and come join us here in Free America

Back
Top Bottom