NY Judge rules against Safe Storage, cites Heller

And in NY mind you!

Nice... lets hope the dominos keep going and we can get this to start to effect MA some time in the near future.

And in NY mind you!

Nice... lets hope the dominos keep going and we can get this to start to Affect MA some time in the near future.

Amazing! And New York is a significant state for such a decision to be handed down in.

YESSSSSSSSS!

Awesome! Now once MA follows suit I'm sure there will be a lot of celebratory gun fire (please ensure all rounds end up in the burm though)

Amazing! And New York is a significant state for such a decision to be handed down in.

YESSSSSSSSS!

Well, if Scrivener is excited, we should all be hanging from the chandeliers!
[party]

I will wait till later to ask how a county judge could take a ruling on an unincorporated case and decide that not based on NY law, but on, again, a ruling on an unincorporated case? Not that I am sour (far from it), but the implication is the Hon. Gary Weber is a gun owner and did this based on logic and not on law, which would suggest he will get overruled if/when it goes to appeals (which is what I think we all want). It is interesting this was on LI, which is not conservative by any means.

After reading it, I'm left with a couple of questions. What level in the court system was this decided (district, appeals, etc) and what impact does the geographic part of NYS this was decided in have (Suffolk County, according to the decision). Would this decision survive a trip to the court of appeals? The NYS supreme court?

After reading it, I'm left with a couple of questions. What level in the court system was this decided (district, appeals, etc) and what impact does the geographic part of NYS this was decided in have (Suffolk County, according to the decision). Would this decision survive a trip to the court of appeals? The NYS supreme court?

It was a very low level county court. Riverhead and Hauppauge are the two seats of judicial power in Suffolk County NY. NY State has an unified court system so this is really a district court by any other system. This was the first step, then the case will, if the county so choses, go to the Appeals Division of the Supreme Court. From there, then this goes to The Court of Appeals, (note the caps, that is a name separate from Appeals Division) which most other systems call a supreme court. Confused??? [smile] The Court of Appeals decides only questions of NYS law and interpretation thereof, similar to the the US supreme court.
This guy happens to be an acting judge too, which may not mean much, but I don't know.

PS: For all the people who notice I ask seemingly dumb questions about how the court system works in MA and NE, this is why. I grew up in NY and know it's system, which is a handicap when you leave the reality distortion field of NY.

Last edited:
It was a very low level county court. Riverhead and Hauppauge are the two seats of judicial power in Suffolk County NY. NY State has an unified court system so this is really a district court by any other system. This was the first step, then the case will, if the county so choses, go to the Appeals Division of the Supreme Court. From there, then this goes to The Court of Appeals, (note the caps, that is a name separate from Appeals Division) which most other systems call a supreme court. Confused??? [smile] The Court of Appeals decides only questions of NYS law and interpretation thereof, similar to the the US supreme court.
This guy happens to be an acting judge too, which may not mean much, but I don't know.

PS: For all the people who notice I ask seemingly dumb questions about how the court system works in MA and NE, this is why. I grew up in NY and know it's system, which is a handicap when you leave the reality distortion field of NY.

Thankee. I know the MA system, but not the NY system. Let's hope it sticks.

This is not the beginning of the end, but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Can't help but share one of my favorite movie quotes:

"Today may be the beginning of the end... or the end of the beginning... or the beginning of the beguine." - Leslie Zevo (Robin Williams in Toys 1992)

Hardly. It is merely a decision in a county court.

Incorporation requires an express finding to that effect by the Supreme Court. This NY decision is just a start.

Yup, I worded it incorrectly. My mistake.

Here's the POTENTIAL case for incorporation. I knew that incorporation was decided at the SCOTUS level, I was just waiting for a case to come up somewhere other than DC to get it started.

Wow! That is welcome good news in a week filled with shitty news. Hopefully this is the beginning of a trend.

Back
Top Bottom