NY Judge rules against Safe Storage, cites Heller

Hardly. It is merely a decision in a county court.

Incorporation requires an express finding to that effect by the Supreme Court. This NY decision is just a start.

Not so. While this decision is poorly written, and probably poorly thought out, as a matter of federal law, a decision that one of the first nine amendments has been incorporated by the Fourteenth Amendment, so as to be applicable in bar of some form of state enactment, can be made by any state or federal court of competent jurisdiction in which the issue is necessary to a decision. Such a holding, rendered by a state court, as here, necessarily implicates a federal question, so that, if the holding stands after review (if sought) in the Appellate Division and Court of Appeals, there would be a jurisdictional basis for seeking cert.

General Observations on this Decision:

A) While it is certainly refreshing, I'd hold off going out and mortgaging the house in the basis of it.

B) In New York, judges are elected, and that means that typically they are not of great quality. This decision reaches a result (namely, that the 2d Amendment controls over some form of state regulatory enactment (never spelled out as to source or detail)) without expressly addressing a syllogistic predicate to that result (namely, that the 2d Amendment is applicable to limit the state regulatory power). If this decision is appealable and appealed, it is open to criticism on this ground alone.

C) The decision may not be appealable, since it remanded, I gather to the Police Chief, for further proceedings. It isn't clear what those proceedings are supposed to be, but what the Court may have had in mind (albeit not spelled out with the clarity that any decision ought to display) is the development of a factual record that might bear on the question of incorporation. That is to say, what the Court may have meant is: I can't tell if there is incorporation or not; if there is, petitioner wins; lower tribunal (i.e., licensing authority) was obliged to consider that and didn't; therefore, I send it back to him for such consideration and taking of new action after doing so. There are a lot of problems with this, not the least of which is that, even considering a Chief of Police as an administrative agency, it (he) is not a tribunal of record.

D) Given that most NY state court judges are basically politicians at heart, I would read into this order an exhortation to the Chief to restore the Pistol Permit in order to avoid a hard question, which neither the Court (nor, he says to the Chief) the Chief wants to get enmeshed in.

For those who want to follow this, a bit of orientation re: the New York state court system:

1) The "Supreme Court" is the superior trial court of general jurisdiction; it is the equivalent of the Superior Court in Massachusetts.

2) There is an intermediate appellate court, which is called the Appellate Division (of the Supreme Court). Not all Supreme Court decisions are appealable to App. Div.

3) The highest court in New York is called the "Court of Appeals." It is the equivalent of the Supreme Judicial Court in Massachusetts.

Sounds like we need a test case (any volunteers? [smile]).

From the MCOPA website...

Firearms in Residences
In light of the US Supreme Court’s ruling in the Heller
case, which declared that the District of Columbia ordinance
concerning firearms in one’s home was unconstitutional,
there is some concern that parts of this state’s laws might
suffer a similar fate. The Heller case focused on a unique
set of facts and the very invasive nature of the DC ordinance
and a court may not reach a similar conclusion when it comes
to trigger-locks, locked storage or even the requirement to
possess an FID or LTC for a firearm located in one’s home
for personal protection. While there is no binding guidance
available in Massachusetts at this time, a consensus has
been reached by counsel for the Executive Office of Public
Safety and Security, the Firearms Records Bureau, and this
writer, as well as the Chair of the state’s MA Gun Control
Advisory Board (who is also the Chair of the MCOPA’s
Firearms Committee.)
WE RECOMMEND: Unless and until a court or the
Massachusetts Attorney General rules otherwise, chiefs
should direct their officers to continue enforcing this state’s
laws regarding the licensing and storage of firearms in a
residence.

It's probably only a matter of time before some legal gun owner in MA inadvertently gets busted for an unsafe storage charge (hopefully, with no other charges filed).

Sounds like we need a test case (any volunteers? [smile]).

From the MCOPA website...

It's probably only a matter of time before some legal gun owner in MA inadvertently gets busted for an unsafe storage charge (hopefully, with no other charges filed).

And it would suck for them (and I would donate to their defense if it was truly the only issue), but the last thing we need are cops who selectively enforce the law. We have CLEOs making up regulations WRT licensees regularly and it drives us f'n nuts. Isn't that also the situation we face everyday in a state who GLs printed require a crane to lift? If so, then maybe without selective enforcement (which is truly just enforcement by sanity and good judgement), the people would revolt once they saw the consequences of their desire for the security theater of more laws.

Back
Top Bottom