NRA wasting money

Benn a Life member for 30 years. Get maybe one mailing every other month. Don't get me wrong, I'm not inferring you're whining.[grin]

I get about one letter per month. They come more frequently around election time but that is to be expected.

As soon as I got my life membership, I contacted them about the mailings and was taken off the mailings lists (or put on a dnd list, idfk). All I get is the magazine and MAYBE one other mailing a couple times a year.

its all part of the cash flow circle they need to keep flowing. They would not send all that stuff out if it did not generate a return worthy of the expense and effort.
They also have to gernerate enough cash to pay the board members

I re-up every few years at a discount for a 3-5 year term, never pay full price!! They don't send me much other than magazine and re-up request about a month before it's time (I just paid for another 3 year term two days ago, current one expires in Feb).

I don't really open up my mail anyways, everything important comes to my email address, or in a brown box. If the Town sends me something or if a group I like, like the NRA sends me something, my wife throws it my way.

I do agree they spend a lot on mailings, but I wonder how much of that is paid from company sponsorship. I read somewhere that they have a significant influx of cash through endowments and Corp. funding and that helps with their advertising budget. Letters/emails are part of that advertising. The saying that you have to spend money to make money falls true here.

The part that really annoys me about the NRA is their renewal letters. They send them at odd times and I know I've paid for the same membership twice more then a few times. Case in point is that I got my renewed membership card over the holidays yet I received a mailing last week indicating it was time to renew my membership. I had just done that less then two months earlier. I'm pretty sure they do that on purpose to everyone.

i renew every year so i can get the free gift...i usually give them away to friends...i like reading the magazine...the volume of mailings are just stupid though...they go right in the trash with all the junk mail

- - - Updated - - -

The part that really annoys me about the NRA is their renewal letters. They send them at odd times and I know I've paid for the same membership twice more then a few times. Case in point is that I got my renewed membership card over the holidays yet I received a mailing last week indicating it was time to renew my membership. I had just done that less then two months earlier. I'm pretty sure they do that on purpose to everyone.

same here...i sometimes have to check my card to see the expiration date on it

Seems it doesn't matter what type of membership you have, they will always keep sending you something to upgrade to the next level at a "discount". Plus they will always ask for straight up extra donations. As mentioned, whatever the expense it, the ROI must be worth it or they wouldn't be doing it. I've been a life member for several years, didn't slow down the amount of stuff they send me.

I know they won't be wasting my money anymore.

Thanks for not helping. I imagine you voted for Hitlery in November as well? With friends like you...

The NRA actually has a ton of leverage with one of the smallest lobbying budgets in Washington. That is all in addition to their junior programs and various other outreach programs.

Whining about some fundraising mailings by claiming they are wasting "your" money is beyond absurd.

Seems it doesn't matter what type of membership you have, they will always keep sending you something to upgrade to the next level at a "discount". Plus they will always ask for straight up extra donations. As mentioned, whatever the expense it, the ROI must be worth it or they wouldn't be doing it. I've been a life member for several years, didn't slow down the amount of stuff they send me.

The mailings have nothing to do with what level of membership you have, they are tied to whether you opt out of their distribution list.

Thanks for not helping. I imagine you voted for Hitlery in November as well? With friends like you...

The NRA actually has a ton of leverage with one of the smallest lobbying budgets in Washington. That is all in addition to their junior programs and various other outreach programs.

Whining about some fundraising mailings by claiming they are wasting "your" money is beyond absurd.

The mailings have nothing to do with what level of membership you have, they are tied to whether you opt out of their distribution list.

Maybe he directs his money somewhere else.
Even though I am a member I'm not a huge fan of the NRA. Historically they really are not super great at protecting gun rights. They supported both the NFA and GCA

Here's the link the actual articles in Rifleman as you will see they are not exactly a 2nd amendment organization as most think it is.
So don't knock folks for not being a member

Think about it. If the NRA was so great and could convince the gun owning population they are all for 2nd amendment they would have more than 6 million members....at least I think they would.

http://jpfo.org/articles-assd02/nra-supported-nfa34.htm

I do think the NRA does waste money. Here are a few
1. The cheap POS Chinese "free" gifts.
2. Almost relentless mail
3. Huge board....is it still 90 seat board.?

I do grab a 5 year deal when they come along.
It took me over a year to end the mail except for renewal.
(I am a firm believer they send out renewals almost constantly to get people to pay. Magazine scripts do this also. They hope you just cut the check and move on.)

Last edited:
Even though I am a member I'm not a huge fan of the NRA. Historically they really are not super great at protecting gun rights. They supported both the NFA and GCA

Here's the link the actual articles in Rifleman as you will see they are not exactly a 2nd amendment organization as most think it is.

Think about it. If the NRA was so great and could convince the gun owning population they are all for 2nd amendment they would have more than 6 million members....at least I think they would.

Why does GOAL have so few members then? I think it isn't as simple as you make it out to be.

The NRA is the 800# gorilla. We can go round and round about them but I will give my money and support to the organization that causes progressives and SJW's to lose their shit.

Maura never pointed to GOAL as her opponent, she called out the NRA. Right or wrong.

Why does GOAL have so few members then? I think it isn't as simple as you make it out to be.

The NRA is the 800# gorilla. We can go round and round about them but I will give my money and support to the organization that causes progressives and SJW's to lose their shit.

Maura never pointed to GOAL as her opponent, she called out the NRA. Right or wrong.

While I don't totally disagree with your point and what your saying about the NRA. Maura called out the NRA because its the "big, bad bully" that all the liberals are trained to fear. Always referred to as the gun lobby.

How many non shooters/2A guys/gals in MA know who GOAL is? Everyone knows who the NRA is.

This.

The NRA is a little like a Trump. You don't have to like it to realize it's still probably the best option in more ways than one.

I dragged my feet for years on NRA membership before I saw the light and went Life. Do I agree with everything they do? Nope. Everything they've done in the past? DEFINITELY not. But society has changed a lot since the sixties, still more since the thirties, and the NRA has changed as well.

Quit griping about the mailings. Put on your big boy pants and opt out of them. Then get back to supporting a group that, for all its problems, still delivers a yuge bang for the buck nationally.

While I don't totally disagree with your point and what your saying about the NRA. Maura called out the NRA because its the "big, bad bully" that all the liberals are trained to fear. Always referred to as the gun lobby.

How many non shooters/2A guys/gals in MA know who GOAL is? Everyone knows who the NRA is.

You are providing evidence in support of my point on all accounts.

http://jpfo.org/articles-assd02/nra-supported-nfa34.htm

I do think the NRA does waste money. Here are a few
1. The cheap POS Chinese "free" gifts.
2. Almost relentless mail
3. Huge board....is it still 90 seat board.?

I do grab a 5 year deal when they come along.
It took me over a year to end the mail except for renewal.
(I am a firm believer they send out renewals almost constantly to get people to pay. Magazine scripts do this also. They hope you just cut the check and move on.)

Well I think you lack a good grip of realpolitik on the situation. Now I wasn't around when the NFA was passed. Probably few of us were. It was an era where guns were primarily seen as sporting goods. The Great War was the "war to end all wars" and despite being in the throes of the Great Depression, America was small town and surprisingly rural. The specter of organized crime by the Mafia and the bank robbing cop killing gangs in the Mid West brought about both terror and romanticization in the minds of many Americans. Just as Prohibition, and Eugenics (where did Hitler get his racial purity laws? Why from the Eugenics laws of the Great Commonwealth of Massachusetts) were going to solve our nations social ills along with John Dewey and Progressive Education, the elimination of machine guns and sawed off shotguns was going to deny the gangster, the hoodlum, the career criminal his arsenal to commit crime. Do you see a pattern here? Simple solutions to complex problems with no thought to unintended consequences. Study your history. The NRA was primarily a marksmanship outfit then and on the side of law and order.

Now I was around for the GCA of '68. That's the first time public opinion really started to turn against gun owners in a big way. The assassination of JFK, RFK, MLK, riots in the streets, the counter culture. The division and dissension we see today was nothing like it was then. A lot of sentiment against mail order purchasing of firearms. What you don't realize is that the NRA worked behind the scenes to make the GCA of 1968 a lot weaker than it was originally proposed. It was a compromise bill.

Now that Trump has been elected people are going to get lax and get lazy on the national level. Our enemies are only going to redouble their efforts and frankly I don't know how many more lone wolf terrorist events are going to polarize people against us. We need a strong NRA at the national level, plain and simple and if you can't see that, then you simply are setting yourself up for failure and disappointment.

Now the oft asked question: why doesn't the NRA do more for Mass? The answer is simple, it must allocate it's resources where it has the best chances of winning and to apply pressure at the national level. Mass will be at best an indifferent state on a good day when it comes to guns. It will never be a gun culture state, ever. The best we can hope for is a holding action. Just when things were looking good Maura pulled the rug out from under us. Frankly too, if the gun owners of our fair Commonwealth were so up in arms about the deplorable state of gun rights here, why aren't the majority of them members of GOAL and contributors to Comm2A?

I'd say rather than bitch about the NRA get off your asses and do some grass roots activism here in the state, and contribute to the national effort.

The locus of activism here seems to have shifted from the State to the municipal level. Having said that, pressure still must be kept at the national level. Remember you are deplorable and a lot of people hate you simply because you own guns and for no other reason, and that is reason enough to support the NRA.

You can ask them to tone down the mailings. I did, and now all I get is the magazine.

x2

Sometimes, when women are bitching about something, they aren't asking you to offer a solution, or to 'fix it' for them, or even to offer any comment; sometimes, they just want to bitch.

x2

Sometimes, when women are bitching about something, they aren't asking you to offer a solution, or to 'fix it' for them, or even to offer any comment; sometimes, they just want to bitch.

Well then maybe those girlz should keep their bitching to themselves and not post on the internet, huh ? The price girlz pay when they want to be bitches and bitch.

Geeeezzzzzzz......another NRA bashing thread......well.....that's different.

I don't mind non-firearm owners bashing the NRA....I know where they are coming from and expect it.

But there is nothing more sick and perverse than gun owners who bash the NRA, there really isn't.

My favorite is those who complain about the NRA asking for money when in all reality those whiners likely spend more on lottery tickets than they give to the NRA, or ANY OTHER gun rights organization.

It's one of my favorite metaphors as to why gun owners, more than any other entity, have caused more harm to gun rights than any other voting block in America.

Last edited:
Geeeezzzzzzz......another NRA bashing thread......well.....that's different.

I don't mind non-firearm owners bashing the NRA....I know where they are coming from and expect it.

But there is nothing more sick and perverse than gun owners who bash the NRA, there really isn't.

My favorite is those who complain about the NRA asking for money when in all reality those whiners likely spend more on lottery tickets than they give to the NRA.

It's one of my favorite metaphors as to why gun owners, more than any other entity, have caused more harm to gun rights than any other voting block in America.
I like to do what everyone else does just because they do it. Right or wrong, the rest is doing it so I have to

I get 2 mailers a week telling me to renew & My membership has never lapsed..
That, to me is a waste of money, no matter where it's coming from.
this is because you are taking all your money and buying lottery tickets and food instead of giving it to the NRA. I get two on a slow week, renewal notices, credit card offers, join now offers,

Back
Top Bottom