NRA Selling US out...

Anti-Gun Deception On The Senate Floor
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/TheWarOnGuns/~3/528965123/anti-gun-deception-on-senate-floor.html

RNC Sends Clear Message to Gun Owners: The riddle of Steele
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/TheWarOnGuns/~3/528965122/rnc-sends-clear-message-to-gun-owners.html

The Holder Nomination
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/TheWarOnGuns/~3/528973542/holder-nomination.html

The NRA has let us down here and I think Howard Nemerov has it right. The “Repubics” are using us as a pawn in the game of “Politics as usual”. If the “Deamoncrats” do enact an AWB people will be pissed off enough to turn the tables on them and the “Repubics” think they’ll win. Wrong.

I am, personally, done voting for the lesser of two evils. I don’t care who the Independant candidate is for the next election. That’s where my vote is going.

Lastly, I won’t be giving a dime to the NRA – ever again.

Last edited:
I'll send in double the donation this year to make up for you. You find some other way to further the cause and we'll call it even.

There is a reason that there has been no major federal gun control since the original AWB, and why Democrats were afraid to even bring up the issue in 2004 as it approached sunset. NRA is it. They have effectively made gun control an untouchable issue at the national level, frivolous bills such as HR45 notwithstanding. I strongly believe that NRA will be vigilant and will raise hell the second any bill with potential appears.

This is why many clear anti-gunners now attempt to associate themselves WITH NRA instead of in opposition to it, by using the sportsmen angle.

Some say that what rights we still have are owed the the NRA.
I wonder if the ones we have lost, were conceded away.

More than likely the answer to that is yes. It's just the game of politics. You occasionally have to give up one thing to get your way with something else. I doubt that we will ever get everything we want. We will likely hit a middle ground and stay there unless more people can be convinced to see things our way.

Some say that what rights we still have are owed the the NRA.
I wonder if the ones we have lost, were conceded away.

I'd bet a paycheck that in some cases, yes. The NRA needs a wake-up call and just how that should happen is beyond me at the moment...At this stage of the game, the NRA should be circling the wagons and preparing for battle. Instead, they're in bed with the likes of Tim Leatherman and pushing cheap, crappy Chinese optics under the NRA banner...[thinking] The time for shiny glass office buildings, fat-cat salaries, crappy merchandising and glossy magazines should be giving way to funds being redirected at preserving our rights...

There are more than a few thoughts floating out there that the NRA has become like the Democratic Party - toss us a bone here and there, but keep us repressed enough to stay angry and dedicated to a cause that they appear to be fighting with one hand tied behind their back....

Well, if you don't like the direction of NRA, then why not start a grass-roots effort to elect some hard-liners to the BOD?

Well, if you don't like the direction of NRA, then why not start a grass-roots effort to elect some hard-liners to the BOD?

Or for that matter call them up or write them letters. CC the NRA on letters you send your elected officials in Washington.

I think people sometimes forget that politics does not necessarily lend itself to "not taking no for an answer", and that often times in negotiations things get compromised. That doesn't make me happy, but then I am not out there in the heat of that battle every day.

The simple fact is that as long as peaceful politics is at play and as long as one side of an issue can muster up more votes than another side, then compromise will always enter into the picture for the side with less votes.

There is a reason that there has been no major federal gun control since the original AWB, and why Democrats were afraid to even bring up the issue in 2004 as it approached sunset. NRA is it. They have effectively made gun control an untouchable issue at the national level, frivolous bills such as HR45 notwithstanding. I strongly believe that NRA will be vigilant and will raise hell the second any bill with potential appears.

This is why many clear anti-gunners now attempt to associate themselves WITH NRA instead of in opposition to it, by using the sportsmen angle.

You've got to be joking...Please cite where the NRA had anything to do with no further gun control legislation post AWB sunset and that it was not due in large part to Congressional/Senate census. Where where they when our Republican Governor decided to keep it? How much pressure did they put on Mitt anyway? How about DC/Heller? California? New Jersey? Defend please why they tried to de-rail it....

Until someone can point me in a more efficient political direction I will still keep my own memberships in both

I've got a bridge to sell you if you believe even half of what you wrote. The NRA has nothing to do with keeping down or oppressing the Federal AWB, and the Democrats certainly do not fear them.

Good luck on the vigil, when they have all but abandoned your state.

The NRA is just a tool for us to use in our fight against those who want to take our rights. We the people are the ones that have to actually do something in order to change things or keep bad things from happening and as a whole we do not do enough. Sending in $30 a year and then bitching about how it is spent is NOT doing enough.

Also I don't care what anyone says the NRA is quite "powerful", if they were not we won't see presidential hopefuls pleading their case before the NRA and its members, we wouldn't see high level politicians at the NRA annual meetings and we certainly wouldn't see the NRA demonized by the MSM if they were not a threat. I for one think my life membership money was well spend on an important tool.

Once again this board amazes me

It usually takes a lot for me to actually post on this board, and this post has done it.

In times where we need to be unified, in a similar fashion as the gun-grabbers, we continue to fragment and decrease our potency. The NRA is the only organization that has protected our rights so far. Could someone please name an organization that has done more? I will be waiting patiently but I doubt anyone will come up with one, and please do not say GOA they have not passed a single piece of legislation.

I would be more then happy to describe the political process to anyone on this board but I am not sure I would not get through to many. The first part of the education would be to take part in a committee hearing and understood exactly what goes on. There are compromises and esp. in a state like MA where we don't possess the power to vote them out. Unfortunately, the same people that criticize GOAL and say they are not doing anything for gun owners will be quick to blame the NRA as well.

I would expect Ron to understand this. But with that being the case I will be sure to send some extra money to make up for the dissenters.

It usually takes a lot for me to actually post on this board, and this post has done it.

In times where we need to be unified, in a similar fashion as the gun-grabbers, we continue to fragment and decrease our potency. The NRA is the only organization that has protected our rights so far. Could someone please name an organization that has done more? I will be waiting patiently but I doubt anyone will come up with one, and please do not say GOA they have not passed a single piece of legislation.

I would be more then happy to describe the political process to anyone on this board but I am not sure I would not get through to many. The first part of the education would be to take part in a committee hearing and understood exactly what goes on. There are compromises and esp. in a state like MA where we don't possess the power to vote them out. Unfortunately, the same people that criticize GOAL and say they are not doing anything for gun owners will be quick to blame the NRA as well.

I would expect Ron to understand this. But with that being the case I will be sure to send some extra money to make up for the dissenters.

I don't think anyone is turning in their membership cards just yet, (not me anyway), nor did I say anywhere that the NRA has done nothing to help preserve our rights. However, save your patronage for someone else - you need not "describe the political process" - at least not to me. Go back - even a couple of decades and look at some significant anti-gun legislation. Start with the 1986 NFA debacle and find anywhere the National Rifle Associations action on this issue...Then move forward to more and see what bubbles up. The NRA's inaction, (you say compromise), with regards to our rights is easily trackable...Give me some good fodder on the association with Tim Leatherman and cheap Chinese wares for all of us to enjoy. Grab their tax returns and let's take a look at how our money is spent. Room for improvement? Redirection? Or is it that the NRA has you so sucked in as to not be able to think for yourself? Promote change from within?

If "compromising" on the 2nd Amendment seems dandy, or acceptable to you, then you're just the spokesperson the NRA needs....[thinking]

If you believe the direction of the NRA is wrong, then organize and change it from within, just as Harlon Carter et al did 1975-77. This led to an abrupt change in policy and direction which took place at the NRA Annual meeting in Cincinnati in 1977. I was an annual member and not yet a voting member of the NRA but I do remember the passion with which many members spoke all over the meeting venue. The following year in Indianapolis the direction had been changed and for the better. If you want, it can be done again, but do it in a constructive manner, do not abandon good tools just because they may be a bit rusted or because you do not know how to use them effectively.

The link below might be a good place to begin studying.
http://www.vpc.org/nrainfo/chapter2.html

If you believe the direction of the NRA is wrong, then organize and change it from within, just as Harlon Carter et al did 1975-77. This led to an abrupt change in policy and direction which took place at the NRA Annual meeting in Cincinnati in 1977. I was an annual member and not yet a voting member of the NRA but I do remember the passion with which many members spoke all over the meeting venue. The following year in Indianapolis the direction had been changed and for the better. If you want, it can be done again, but do it in a constructive manner, do not abandon good tools just because they may be a bit rusted or because you do not know how to use them effectively.

The link below might be a good place to begin studying.
http://www.vpc.org/nrainfo/chapter2.html

Excellent post...

Sorry if I am an advocate for the second amendment

I work for the industry so you are not going to find anyone more connected to situation. The NRA, just like any organization, could always use improvement, but that does not mean that they are not the most powerful and vocal organization for gun rights and its members.

Everything can be done better but people need to realize that the NRA is really the only grassroots organization equipped best to defend rights when possible. Of course the NRA likes controversy and fear tactics to increase membership. Unfortunately though their concerns like mine about the UN, Obama, and the regulatory environment are factual and we need to be vigilant.

If you have a better way to defend the second amendment please let me know, I could use it in my legislative battles.

Yes I have always been of the opinion that the NRA is not your friend.

And also felt that we as Americans were sold out by the NRA.

They were instrumental of the loss of Transferable machine guns in 1986.

May 19 1986 McClure Volkmer FOPA Firearm Owners Protection Act.

This treasonous act made sure that the common man could not afford a MG and hence they wouldn't profligate.

Note transferable MG's are frozen at the current number they were on May 19 1986.

SO this fits in with the governments disarmament plan dont ya think ?

But HEY we got Milsurps what a trade off huh ?

ETA: If they ever get GOV to repeal the NFA and FOPA I will become a life member and buy everyone I know personally that into guns a life Membership.

Last edited:
I work for the industry so you are not going to find anyone more connected to situation. The NRA, just like any organization, could always use improvement, but that does not mean that they are not the most powerful and vocal organization for gun rights and its members.

Everything can be done better but people need to realize that the NRA is really the only grassroots organization equipped best to defend rights when possible. Unfortunately though their concerns like mine about the UN, Obama, and the regulatory environment are factual and we need to be vigilant.

If you have a better way to defend the second amendment please let me know, I could use it in my legislative battles.

I agree with much of what you write here, but the NRA seems to many as more of a money-making business and less of a grass-roots movement. In fact, I think that the NRA would do well to be more grass-roots and less flash...Just the fact that you used this sentence, gives me pause:

Of course the NRA likes controversy and fear tactics to increase membership.

I'd rather see the NRA use a dedication to the preservation of the 2nd Amendment - I have all the fear tactics I need right now. I'm full up....

Well at least we are coming around

I agree with toning down the "flash" and like I have said they could use some restructuring. The fear tactics though do in fact deliver members which in turn increases the numbers you can use with politicians. It is much better if you can say you have over 4 million voters then 3.6 million.

It is all about votes and politicians getting re-elected. The flashy mailings and constant barrage is to increase funds and members to fight the fight.

It is even worse that the NRA only has 4 million members when there are over 300 million firearms in the US and lets say conservatively over 50 million firearm owners.

I will grant you this from all the NRA guys I work with they are the most dedicated to the cause as you want on your side, on both the state and federal level.

wow, what a regrettable change of events, the RNC and NRA not supporting key gun rights!

I think the Democrats have a golden oppourtunity here. If they pass some gun friendly legislation--such as a shall-issue country wide law, and tone down any AWB histeria, they just might get a big chunk of the gun crowd 4 years from now. Lets see if they are smart enough to wake up and smell the flippin coffee!

When I was a teen, I do not remember all this anti-gun Democratic rhetoric. I think it is a recent thing, and may be capable of changing back to a kinder gentler stand.

I think GOA is our best shot at removing the long standing gun rights prohibitions. More so than the NRA.

But the NRA is the 800 lbs. gorilla. And GOA is the 50 lbs. rabid dog. I like GOA, and will probably end up joining that organization.

I hope the NRA gets the change it needs to move forward. Their silence on Eric Holder is rather telling.

In my opinion, the NRA is better than nothing. Think of where we would be if there wasn't an 800 lbs. gorilla looming over the .gov. They may not be perfect, and perhaps they only fight the fights they think they can win, but I'm still a member and will support them.

I think GOA is our best shot at removing the long standing gun rights prohibitions. More so than the NRA.

But the NRA is the 800 lbs. gorilla. And GOA is the 50 lbs. rabid dog. I like GOA, and will probably end up joining that organization.

I hope the NRA gets the change it needs to move forward. Their silence on Eric Holder is rather telling.

The February issue of the NRA's magazine, America's 1st Freedom features Eric Holder on the cover and his anti-2A stance is well documented.

In my opinion, the NRA is better than nothing. Think of where we would be if there wasn't an 800 lbs. gorilla looming over the .gov. They may not be perfect, and perhaps they only fight the fights they think they can win, but I'm still a member and will support them.

I'm a member too. I just wish they'd get more aggressive and stop compromising.

The February issue of the NRA's magazine, America's 1st Freedom features Eric Holder on the cover and his anti-2A stance is well documented.

Too little, too late. Same thing with their McCain endorsement. Although I have no idea why they even bothered endorsing McCain. Might as well have endorsed Rudy Giuliani.

Too little, too late.

Do you check out their website? There was plenty about Holder up there as soon as his nomination was hinted at. There was even a thread or two, as I recall, started in the off-topic section that referenced the NRA's article on him.

Back
Top Bottom