• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA Disallows 1911s As “Primary Handguns” From Its “Carry Guard” Classes

ALL of the above courses NRA admonishes the instructor to NOT use any human-shaped targets, only a tombstone target, round targets or blank paper. NONE of these courses sanction drawing and shooting from the holster or shooting while moving.
Are you telling me that PPOH does not include drawing from a holster?

And, of course, if you are training for defense it would obviously be silly to use human shaped targets.

NRA against the 1911? [rofl][rofl][rofl] !

HUGE public relations blunder- in fact, epic! The person ultimately responsible for that needs to 'seek other opportunities outside the NRA'.

+1

I can see the headlines now: "So dangerous that even the NRA bans it." And it would give anti's a crack to chip away at.

If the reason for the ban is low capacity, they should offer a separate low cap course.

I'm just laughing at the 40 round part of an NRA CCW class.
Jees Louise, they can't even let the people finish off the box of 50.[rofl]
Those 10 extra rounds of training aren't needed in a NRA CCW class![smile]

40 rounds in a CCW class..I was thinking more like 500 minimum![grin]

I have lost all respect for their actual shooting training value after reading this post.

I guess their training is better from a safety stand point.

Last edited:
Are you telling me that PPOH does not include drawing from a holster?

And, of course, if you are training for defense it would obviously be silly to use human shaped targets.

Rob, I thought I was careful with my words. There are no "on the word" draw and fire drills. It's draw, move to the barricade and engage, but no "quick draw" drills.

I'm just laughing at the 40 round part of an NRA CCW class.
Jees Louise, they can't even let the people finish off the box of 50.[rofl]
Those 10 extra rounds of training aren't needed in a NRA CCW class![smile]

40 rounds in a CCW class..I was thinking more like 500 minimum![grin]

I have lost all respect for their actual shooting training value after reading this post.

I guess their training is better from a safety stand point.

PPIH/PPOH are very valuable classes as they spend a lot of time covering how to avoid being put in the position of defending yourself/family, what to expect to happen after a shooting, how to deal with the aftermath (police, medical issues, work, family, friends, media, etc.). The drills are good, but not to the level they should be for a self-defense class.

In general I think 99% of classes are a huge waste of time. I've been to a couple of the big name ones and really felt like I wasted money other than to say I did it. They just have to cater to so many people.. and safety is a big concern for insurance purposes so it really gets dumbed down.

Even the LEO/Mil only classes I've done were pretty weak. The last one I went to.. the instructor was still shooting with a tea cup grip. I just packed up my stuff and drove home. They gave me a partial refund which was nice.

Its actually very similar to the physical martial arts in that way. So many BS instructors.. so much bad technique being proliferated. When I was into the combat sports scene SO many of the touted martial arts guys I would go to.... I was severely disappointed when I left.

Last edited:
In general I think 99% of classes are a huge waste of time. I've been to a couple of the big name ones and really felt like I wasted money other than to say I did it. They just have to cater to so many people.. and safety is a big concern for insurance purposes so it really gets dumbed down.
I have seen people who are "over schooled" (been to all the big names) but "under skilled". It's as if a record off attending LFI, Gunsite, Front Sight, Pincus et. al. is sufficient to make one an accomplished shooter.

It appears that NRA has clarified the firearm requirements for the carry guard classes. They are allowing (semi)automatic handguns or revolvers that hold 6 or more rounds to be used as primary guns. Guns that hold fewer rounds are allowed as secondary guns.

Collecting donations and membership dues.

...Don't forget inventing fake crisis and fearmongering (eg Obamas gonna sign the US into the UN gun ban, you know, the same thing that, well, by letter of the law, he can't sign us onto without a real ratification measure from the legislative branch) to enhance both of those things, while ignoring plenty of legitimate threats along the way.

Sending you "free" duffel bags and knives?....

And DVDs that you didn't order or ask for, then get a bill for later. [rofl]

-Mike

Last edited:
Funny thing is I just looked at the NRA Instructor's webpages (the ones instructors have to sign in to see) and see nothing about the course. My guess is that it is being run by a division that peddles all the insurance programs and instructors must be sellers of the insurance. I've ignored the announcement Emails for the insurance and thus likely haven't seen what they gen'd up.

I would rather take all the cloverleaf group classes. Seriously, when I see the NRA trained people shooting a mag full, and then their heads going on a swivel, I have a hard time not to point the finger and laugh. If you're scanning your surroundings with your gun at the low ready, you deserve to get shot. Seriously.

I see them as the boogeyman that keeps antis awake at night, so they get a free pass from me.
Correct, the three letters NRA sends liberal into convulsions of hateful rhetoric and makes them lose their minds. It's well worth the cost of a life membership.

I keep forgetting what the NRA is useful for, can someone remind me?

They're the figurative 800 lb gorilla in the room as far as the anti-gun people are concerned. They are the face of the american gun owner to most gun-control people. So while you may disagree heartily, and in some cases absolutely correctly with some, many or all of the NRA positions - please remember that they tend to keep aholes like the Brady bunch somewhat in check.

I'm a life member not because I agree with all that the NRA does, but because of the fear and loathing that my enemies have for them.

I support the Second Amendment Foundation, (and by support I mean that I send fairly regular checks), because I think that Alan Gottlieb and his crew are making meaningful progress.

Back
Top Bottom