• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA Disallows 1911s As “Primary Handguns” From Its “Carry Guard” Classes

Reptile

NES Member
Released to quite a bit of controversy at the NRA show, the NRA’s Carry Guard program is again the focus of controversy. As listed on the NRA’s Carry Guard website, instructions for prospective students of their “Level 1” program are specifically asked not to bring revolvers or 1911s as “primary firearms” to the classes. This instruction is added as a note to bringing a full-size or compact handgun:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ent=2017-06-20&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

-----
Perhaps the NRA considers the 1911 to be unreliable and dangerous.

"Carry Guard" classes... I think this is a great plan to get regular people trained to CCW. There are many instructors from our region who offer as good if not better training. I don't know anything about the NRA classes, but there are many "tier 1" (love that word) instructors who have been in New England.

"Please bring 40 rounds of ammunition for your primary firearm"

^^ Obviously a pretty advanced class.

Honestly it doesn't surprise me. Most of the modern polymer guns will run great no matter what you get. Too many crap companies make 1911s these days I am sure NRA was having problems completing there intensive 40rd classes with all the Tisas, Citadel, Ruger etc 1911s.

a large chunk of those who carry a 1911 are complete imbeciles. my guess is that the NRA is trying to weed out the ND crowd, so they're starting by weeding out the 1911 crowd.

If millions more people start CCW, I expect a few ND's and toilet left behinds along with a few dead kids.

That is just a statistic that can not be averted with literally millions of new CCW gun owners.

Overall crime will go down. The net effect will be exponentially more lives saved.

After all the millions new guns produced in the past few years accidents went down overall and not just proportionally.

I am sure that the NRA will at least train the new gun owners to be safe from accidents.
Just think of the potentially thousands of kids saved by Eddie Eagle.

a large chunk of those who carry a 1911 are complete imbeciles. my guess is that the NRA is trying to weed out the ND crowd, so they're starting by weeding out the 1911 crowd.

Polymer, the choice of transgender Markspersons.[rofl]

To me a 1911 is more of a target gun, but if your in an intense 40rd training class i would think any firearm would do the job....ill bring a Taurus.

The 1911 was just fine to win every single World War ever but not for a class? Perhaps this is a class that teaches Glock leg so they don't want you to have any common sense safety devices on your gun. Or maybe their backstop can't withstand a .45ACP round. In any case, I'll be canceling my life membership.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/breaking-nra-reverses-stance-now-allows-1911s-carry-guard-class/

Jason J. Brown, the Media Relations Manager for NRA Carry Guard, stated the following in an email to GunsAmerica:
In response to clear feedback surrounding the NRA Carry Guard Level I course announcement, we have modified the required firearm platforms as well as our site language to clearly articulate how firearms will be used in the class.

Bottom line: our decision to not include 1911s and revolvers as primary firearms in our initial Level I course was a mistake, and we appreciate the feedback we have received from the firearms community.

In response to the clear and overwhelming demand for these firearms to be used throughout the entire course, our instructors have decided to accommodate all safe, reliable handguns with a capacity of 6 rounds or more. Firearms with less than 6 rounds of capacity will still be allowed as secondary platforms.

We welcome anyone serious about building the skills necessary to defend themselves and their families to attend our NRA Carry Guard Level I course, beginning in July.

[rofl][slap]

If my 1911 with 7-round mags fails to feed twice, does it count as a firearm that holds six rounds or more?

NRA against the 1911? [rofl][rofl][rofl] !

HUGE public relations blunder- in fact, epic! The person ultimately responsible for that needs to 'seek other opportunities outside the NRA'.

What are they now like the politicians? Telling "Us" whats's good for "Us"....

WRONG!

Just like the politicians... Push the people/Us around and we will vote somebody else in!
[smile] [pot]

Didn't take long for the back peddling did it. Nothing against the 1911 but some are not semi auto fans so disallowing my 2 or 4 inch 357,44 spl or 45 acp is just plain stupid. Myself I shoot my 625 better than my various semi autos and isn't the idea of the class safety and how to shoot accurately.

I haven't reviewed these "courses" nor do I know what it takes to be certified to teach them, however as an NRA Instructor, let me shed a bit of light on all the NRA classes that I am certified to teach and thus know about first hand.

- NRA Personal Protection in the Home - >80 rds minimum, a lot of classroom time.
- NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home - ~200 rds minimum over 2 days, a lot of classroom time on the 1st day.
- Defensive Pistol (also confusingly called Advanced Pistol by NRA) - uses some of the drills from PPOH.

ALL of the above courses NRA admonishes the instructor to NOT use any human-shaped targets, only a tombstone target, round targets or blank paper. NONE of these courses sanction drawing and shooting from the holster or shooting while moving.

There is good info for the student in all of these courses, but they certainly are not "tactical" in the shooting portion of the classes. NRA Training (a separate division from the rest of NRA) is indeed a FUDD org.

All this said, if the students show good safety on the range, I offer additional drills that are more "advanced".

I am leaving the Basic Pistol and Home Firearm Safety classes out of the above conversation intentionally. My NRA HFS students get to shoot 50 rds of mixed caliber ammo in my class. So a so-called CCW class shooting merely 40 rds seems like a joke to me.

Just like their gaff on forbidding 1911s, NRA misses the mark by a mile once again.

Is it because of potential ND's or the fact they want semi's that can hold 10 in the mag? Here in NC, instructors for a "level 1" type course insist on a handgun that holds at least 10. They don't care about what caliber, just be able to load 10. If the individual is unable to provide, the instructor will provide at a 5 or 10 dollar cost.

Back
Top Bottom