• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA Course for CT Non Resident Permit

As I understand CT requires a 10 hour course and at least 50 rounds of live fire to qualify for the CT Non Resident permit. In MA I am seeing NRA courses that are only 8 hours. Anybody have a lead on where I can get this course to fulfill the CT requirements somewhere in southeast MA?

CT only requires the Basic NRA Pistol course or other approved course from thier list.
I only teach the NRA course, so I don't know the other "approved courses".

Reference to CT Website: http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&q=294484

What are the minimum firearms training course requirements for pistol permit applicants?

You are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course," prior to submitting the application. The NRA's "Home Firearms Safety Course" and "First Steps Pistol Orientation Program" are not approved courses.

Live fire is also required. Computer-generated programs, dry-fire, other simulated shooting tools, plastic bullets, air guns or any other alternatives are not acceptable. Students must fire a semi-automatic pistol or revolver. Any questions should be referred to the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit.

Then I was reading this thread: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67273

Where Remsport Mfg offers this information:

A Mass. SP cert. is not good enough for CT. The NRA Basic piostol course is OK because it is a 10 Hr. course. I teach the LTC class at S&W and the sate of CT, told us we would have to revamp the LTC course to meet the 10 hour CT requirment. The Mass. course is only 8 hours and CT. will not accept it any longer . So now I have the CT students stay 2 hours longer and we go over CT. gun law and do a gun cleaning course to make up the extra 2 hours for the CT cert.

So what is it?

You are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course"
Which includes a live fire portion.

Your quote from the state web site, that is the minimum required.
Don't know where the other information comes from.

The NRA course is designed to be taught over 10 hours. Depending on the class size, however, it will go a lot faster with fewer students. With a larger class, there is a lot more discussion and questions. With just one or two students you can most certainly finish the course in under 10 hours easily.

And, as pointed out, the NRA course also does require live fire. If you begin early enough in the day, you can get it all done in one day, including lunch, and well within the 10 hour suggested classroom time. That's all that's required.

Rome

A Mass. SP cert. is not good enough for CT. The NRA Basic piostol course is OK because it is a 10 Hr. course. I teach the LTC class at S&W and the sate of CT, told us we would have to revamp the LTC course to meet the 10 hour CT requirment. The Mass. course is only 8 hours and CT. will not accept it any longer . So now I have the CT students stay 2 hours longer and we go over CT. gun law and do a gun cleaning course to make up the extra 2 hours for the CT cert.

So what is it?

What he's saying is that there's a class you can do that will meet the MA State Police Training class that's NOT the NRA Basic Pistol Class. That one need to be 8 hours.

If you follow the NRA Course Plan, that's a 10 hour class. So the State of CT will take the NRA class, but not the Mass State Police Class.

Now, you can teach the NRA Basic Pistol Class and meet the requirements of the State Police Class, but not the other way around.

If you look here, it lists the classes that are approved for the LTC Class.
http://tinyurl.com/4vuopn

There are a lot, but if you were going to take the NRA Class, it's the LTC-002 MA SP Course. Massachusetts Certified Basic Pistol Course LTC-017 is the one that is listed as the 8 hour class.

Thanks John, Rome, and C-Pher. I misinterpreted Remsports post regarding the MA SP Cert. and confused that as being the same as the NRA Basic Pistol course and being interchangeable.

Thanks again C-Pher for your knowledge shared in off forum communication and look forward to attending your class.

-Matt

Back
Top Bottom