Notarizing and witnesses of your NFA Trust.

I've been trying to find an answer for this but my googlefu isn't strong on this subject. I have to get my Trust notarized and have two witnesses sign it, my question is can the notary be a witness under MA law or do I have to have two other individuals sign as the witnesses?

I went to my bank to get it notarized since they would do it for free. We may have had a manager as a witness. Other than that it was just the notary, myself and the other trustee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to my bank to get it notarized since they would do it for free. We may have had a manager as a witness. Other than that it was just the notary, myself and the other trustee.

The co-trustee doesn't have to be present from what I've been told by the lawyer who drafted the Trust since I'm the settlor. Was it just easier for you to have the co-trustee sign or was there actually a reason for doing so?

My bank notary would not sign as a witness. They claimed it was bank policy.

A Notary should be just signing only as a Notary in this example. Many town clerks are a Notary Public due to public reporting requirements.

I'm finding more and more Notaries not willing to perform their duties. Some even say they don't have their stamp with them today while they are sitting at their desks.

Yes, I am a Notary.

I can't remember the specifics. Just stating that everything was accomplished at my bank so depending on where you go there could be somebody there that can be a witness.

Last time I had to have this done (not an NFA notarization, but something else), I went to the town clerk, showed ID and signed it in front of them. They stamped it and collected my $2. I don't recall them ever even reading what it was.

Also - depending on where you work, it might be asking any friends in the finance department. Often times multiple people have notarization stamps / authority.

I had 2 friends sign my trust. Then went to UPS with the signed document to have it notorized.

How did 2 friends witness you sign then get your signature notarized if you were not all in the same place?
Maybe I'm thinking of the schedule "A" form. It's been a while. I'll check before I give any more advice. [laugh]

This.
The manager notarized it and had two employees come in to be witnesses. Simple and they knew what they were doing.

Agreed. Definitely have someone other than the notary serve as a witness, and certainly not a beneficiary or co-settlor of the trust, and best to avoid having a co-trustee as a witness too.

Back
Top Bottom