North Carolina man arrested for having a WMD

CrackPot

NES Member
§ 14-284

Class 2 misdemeanor.

I’m not sure what he actually violated here.

Just did a quick search and this came up. I’m fairly certain I can go buy a blast cap right now.

ETA: I’ll report back.

Back. Here in NC, because I have at least a high school degree, I can take a test, pay a fee and get the license. Then I can buy a blasting cap.

There has to be more to the story here.

Last edited:
Glorified firecracker. After my grandfather past away 30 years back, I found a tin of them. After opening it up, there were a half dozen in it. Took them out and put them in a sandwich bag then dropped them of at the PD. I kept the empty tin. Its in really nice shape and is stamped Dupont blasting caps. He had blasted out the ledge to build his house back in the late 30s mid 40s. I kept expecting to find some old dynamite when the house and garage was cleaned out but never did. I can imagine they would evacuate a half mile area if those caps were reported now.

Greg

I'm a bit speechless on this. There's definitely something missing...

My uncle was in construction in the 70's. And he had a bunch of these at his house in Spofford, NH.

He even brought home a stick of dynamite to show me and my cousin what it was like. Set it off in the woods, probably around '79-'80.

Isn't a blasting cap comparable to a bottle rocket or lady finger (or less) in its explosiveness?

I didn't realize it was illegal to have a device that can initiate the detonation of actual explosives that you don't have. Heck, you can probably make some things blow up with a match. Or a diode you overheat by hooking up a battery backwards to it. Diodes are illegal.

Isn't a blasting cap comparable to a bottle rocket or lady finger (or less) in its explosiveness?

Nope, one of those suckers would likely turn your hand into alpo chunks if it was fired... think about it, it has to be powerful enough to set off
high explosives...

I didn't realize it was illegal to have a device that can initiate the detonation of actual explosives that you don't have. Heck, you can probably make some things blow up with a match. Or a diode you overheat by hooking up a battery backwards to it. Diodes are illegal.

The cap is an explosive itself. This guy probably committed a handful of felonies just by having it. It's not like an ematch or a model rocket igniter.

All that having been said.... in the grand scheme of things this is much ado about nothing, and throwing some guy in jail for having ONE blasting cap is absurd.

Obviously there's more to the story that we're not really being told here. I get the impression that they probably weren't there just for one blasting cap.... but it probably turned into a fishing expo and we all know how those go...

-Mike

Nope, one of those suckers would likely turn your hand into alpo chunks if it was fired... think about it, it has to be powerful enough to set off
high explosives...

The cap is an explosive itself. This guy probably committed a handful of felonies just by having it. It's not like an ematch or a model rocket igniter.

All that having been said.... in the grand scheme of things this is much ado about nothing, and throwing some guy in jail for having ONE blasting cap is absurd.

Obviously there's more to the story that we're not really being told here. I get the impression that they probably weren't there just for one blasting cap.... but it probably turned into a fishing expo and we all know how those go...

-Mike

Okay that is more powerful than I expected. But, nothing mass destruction level, and nothing I can't just go down the street and buy that amount of boom at Atlas Fireworks. Or a gallon of gas.

Uh, oh. I have an index finger. It can activate any number of weapons or be used to hack into computers. And I could poke an eye out.

I’ll go quietly.

Blating caps need to be hot enough to set off C4, so they have a HE, usually PETN if IIRC. Super stable stuff even if it's really old. Really takes an electrical charge or a shockwave hitting it moving about 20k fps. Even in a gallon can of gasoline filled about a quarter of the way, a blasting cap only has enough energy to make about a 20' fire ball. Think like an airbag going off.

Okay that is more powerful than I expected. But, nothing mass destruction level, and nothing I can't just go down the street and buy that amount of boom at Atlas Fireworks. Or a gallon of gas.
This. All day, every day.

Hell, the feds would lock me up for the rest of my life these days if they GAS back when I was a kid ripping apart fireworks to make one big firework.

It truly is sad, we've become a nation of hand wringing bed wetters. I really need to move to middle of nowhere/BFE/flyover country where something like this wouldn't even raise an eyebrow. If it did, it would be because you didn't have any blasting caps. [sad]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom