• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

North American Police Sniper summit at HSC

Looks like Harvard will be hosting the NE Police Sniper Summit. Apparently there will be some interesting rifle configurations there. I would like to stop by and check it out. Is anyone going or know someone going there?

Thanks!

TG - I meant if somebody is participating/knows someone that is participating in it.
I am not sure if this is an open event or a "closed" training class.

My brother is going, he's Chief of Police in Granville, MA.

He invited me to come along and watch. I wish I could get the time off.

Last edited:
http://www.crosshairs.org/sum2008app.html
Make plans to join the Sniper Community for the annual Police Sniper Summit - hosted by the Harvard Sportsman's Club, Harvard, Mass. Conveniently located near Boston - Logan International Airport (20-30 min.). This is "the" event for operational law enforcement snipers. Participation is open only to active, police SWAT team and military personnel.

Oct. 4 - Summit Seminar - a one-day professional development seminar for the professional Law Enforcement Sniper. Topics will be sniper related and geared for the professional looking to broaden their knowledge and training. Speakers will be joining us again this year from around the country to share their knowledge and experiences on issues important to the police sniper and tactical community. Speakers & Topics will be updated on the www.crosshairs.org site as they confirm.

Oct. 5 & 6 - Police Sniper Challenge - two-day live-fire featuring courses of fire and events designed by police snipers for police snipers. The events focus on realistic courses of fire that will test team marksmanship, communication, judgment, fitness and overall operational readiness. Awards will be given for the top four teams and top four individual places.

Que?

Handbook page 10:
http://www.harvardsportsmensclub.com/Forum/bylaws2006.pdf

"You may shoot:
Benchrest, sitting, prone,offhand."

Something change?

I was told during the qualification that I would only be able to shoot off the bench. This was a new rule that they are/trying to implement. I qualified that day with another guy named Greg, both of us using service rifles. If we did not like that rule, then we should go join Reading or Nashua.

There are some idiots using the 200/300 range that are not picking up after themselves and are using handguns. On top of that, there is a bullet hole in the cover for the 65 yard range behind the 200.

HSC is going through some serious growing pains. I heard that this past month's meeting was quite heated as a result. So the bench only rule I guess is a result of "the idiots that are new members".

I do share their concern for shooting safely though, you'd be an idiot not to.

well its pretty sad if we cant shoot prone anymore on the 200/300 yard range. i would hate to see danvers/MRA'esq rules seep into harvard.

i did talk to one of the guys in charge of the 200/300 qual a few weeks ago (the guy with the silver wrx wagon). he said that there was a hole in that roof from what he thought was a .38. he also found some 7.62x54R shells in the middle of the road inbetween the firing lines on the 200/300.

im not into the kindergarten level group punishment B.S. ONE F'N BIT.

I was told same thing recently. Position shooting at 300 yards is why I joined this club. I was told by another member that this was shot down at the board meeting but the guy who runs the range was telling folks that he would only allow shooting off the bench anyways. Looks like the bench rest, one round every five minutes, trap on Sundays crowd is taking over this club. Got to love that attitude... "if you don't like it leave".

PO'd

I was told during the qualification that I would only be able to shoot off the bench. This was a new rule that they are/trying to implement. I qualified that day with another guy named Greg, both of us using service rifles. If we did not like that rule, then we should go join Reading or Nashua.

There are some idiots using the 200/300 range that are not picking up after themselves and are using handguns. On top of that, there is a bullet hole in the cover for the 65 yard range behind the 200.

HSC is going through some serious growing pains. I heard that this past month's meeting was quite heated as a result. So the bench only rule I guess is a result of "the idiots that are new members".

I do share their concern for shooting safely though, you'd be an idiot not to.

well its pretty sad if we cant shoot prone anymore on the 200/300 yard range. i would hate to see danvers/MRA'esq rules seep into harvard.

i did talk to one of the guys in charge of the 200/300 qual a few weeks ago (the guy with the silver wrx wagon). he said that there was a hole in that roof from what he thought was a .38. he also found some 7.62x54R shells in the middle of the road inbetween the firing lines on the 200/300.

im not into the kindergarten level group punishment B.S. ONE F'N BIT.

You can shoot prone Dench.Eric(Subaru guy) is no longer the chair at the 300..The problem is people wanting to shoot offhand at the range,that I am also against because it is inevitable that something bad will happen.Getting a group at 100 is vastly different that hitting a target offhand at 2-300.

With the level of stupidity going on at HSC,it almost seems inevitable that HSC will have some more restrictive rules.If they go to RO's,I am gone.

People using the range boundry markers at the trap range as targets.

Some kid using the plates at the 25 yd range as a target for his Mauser,because nobody told him not too.

The club has taken a serious nosedive in the past 18 months through no fault of the club or it's officers.The influx of new members,3/4 of which I think are new shooters and people coming from more restrictive clubs are too blame.

"Join HSC,you can do anything you want there"

Remember,when groups outside of the club use HSC,they have no vested interest IN the club.If a stray round goes outside the range and hits a house,what do they care ? They will just go to another range to do yearly quals if HSC gets shut down.

I care,that's why I asked if the sniper cops will have to qualify at the 100 like I did before using the 300.

Last edited:
Greg,

This is seriously troubling stuff. The main reason I joined HSC was to be able to do more than "square range shooting" of MRA. It looks like every single club is experiencing growing pains. Back in July, I talked to a board member at Pelham and they had an explosion in membership as well. Hopefully things will stabilize.

i checked the HSC forum and it's mentioned over there....

[angry2]

guess "we" all need to step it up. i'm sure this is trackable via gate cards... i just hate to lump "all the new members" into one category as i'm fairly new myself.

i'll be there tomorrow between the 100 & 200/300.

i'll have a pen & paper so any dumb antics will be reported... [laugh]

Greg, those examples you used are beyond stupidity. People wonder why the plates never work... The biathlon targets were shot up last year with someone using a high powered rifle. We now put them away in a trailer as a result. People really need to use common sense, if you don't know or not sure don't shoot at it.

You make a good point with qualifying for the 200/300, I was just wondering if the same rules would apply to them as they do to us or would they get an exemption.

Hey Guys, I apologize for not catching this thread earlier. In general, if you want to stay up-to-date on HSC information, it's probably better to cruise the HSC forum which tends to stay more specific to HSC issues.

There's a lot of information and questions that have risen out of this thread. Most of these issues have been recently addressed on the HSC forum. I'll try to catch a few items.

Sniper class qualification required for the 200/300?: This is not the first time that Crosshairs has been to Harvard; they usually come every year. The class is restricted to active police and military personnel whose duties include sniper activity. These folks are not walking-in off the street. Further, they work under Range Officers and they normally operate in one-on-one pairs with an assigned spotter. This is far more training and supervision than your average shooter.

Shooting Positions for the 200/300?: The rules have been discussed at length and remain always open to discussion. The rules have not changed from those posted in your HSC handbook. Fundamentally, every shooter at the 200/300 should restrict themselves to those positions where they have 100 percent confidence in their skills and ability to put the round on the target. Shooters must develop confidence in those skills at the 25, 50, and 100 before they test them at the 200/300.

Range Officers required before shooting?: Nobody wants that to happen at HSC. This requires every HSC member to be diligent in assuring that they are deliberate, safe, and considerate. Further, this requires every HSC member to expect nothing less from other members and guests at the range. Therefore, we need every HSC member to feel confident that they can mention certain behavior directly to the person involved and then understand that it is important to pass the information to the Board. We're not here to punish our friends, but we are here to help remind them of the importance of every action and to feel confident that they understand.

In order to keep HSC the place that we all love, we need every HSC member to continue behaving in a manner that reminds people, "hey, that's an HSC guy or gal." This includes our time at the range, on the forums, in a gun shop, ... wherever.

And regarding "new guys" and "old guys;" a couple of our recent issues with trash have included both new members and long-time members. Anybody can have an instance where they just don't envision how their action is perceived by others and usually a reminder is all it takes.

OK, I'm handing-off the soapbox. What did I miss?

New member, old shooter.

Not the first club to experiance a new shooter surge. I would hate to see it a RO only club. I was just watching a few weeks ago on the ranges and witnessed one shooter fumble with his black gun with the resulting "oopps" discharge near the pits. Drove over to the 100 and had to tell a guy on the line to put down his gun while others were down range.

Some people need to have rules thumb tacked to their foreheads.

I appreciate your help and conscientiousness (I wonder if I spelled that right). Public forums might not be the best place to be listing things that we've seen. I encourage you to contact me or another Board member.

Greg, I've seen WAY to much of what you mentioned, every trip I've made there over the summer has included taking some time to pick up after other members both down range and at the line.

It pisses me off to no end that people are either
A. that lazy
B. that apothetic
C. all of the above

I was really enjoying having the plates nicely set up at the 25 yard range, what did it last for a week? PO'd

If any of you offenders read this, clean up your effin act

OK, I'm handing-off the soapbox. What did I miss?
The part about certain parts of the presentation containing tip-top secret Ninja stuff that members of the public can't be exposed to, and the requirement that no one not a member of the LEO brotherhood be withing earshot of said presentations.

The part about certain parts of the presentation containing tip-top secret Ninja stuff that members of the public can't be exposed to, and the requirement that no one not a member of the LEO brotherhood be withing earshot of said presentations.
I was going to say "finger pointing and name calling", but your version sounds more mature.... [laugh]

Sniper class qualification required for the 200/300?: This is not the first time that Crosshairs has been to Harvard; they usually come every year. The class is restricted to active police and military personnel whose duties include sniper activity. These folks are not walking-in off the street.

What did I miss?

Still though Dan..

There is a good chance I was shooting when some of these cops were in diapers,yet I had to qualify..Maybe we can have a DD214 waiver for the 200/300 yard range,I was in the military and I qualified expert....Why do cops,just because they are cops get waivers for something that I couldn't at a club that I pay dues to,and they don't pay a damn thing ?

Lon Horiuchi was a LEO sniper also,and he couldn't properly engage a target at 100 yards without killing innocents..So just because they are LEO "snipers" doesn't make them a good shot.

I know all this was enacted before you took the reigns,but it bugs me that once again,cops get special treatment,just because they are cops.

If a round flies over the berm at the 300 and lands in the hippie house,WE are left to clean up the mess while the special people police snipers just move on to another club.

Still though Dan..

There is a good chance I was shooting when some of these cops were in diapers,yet I had to qualify..Maybe we can have a DD214 waiver for the 200/300 yard range,I was in the military and I qualified expert....Why do cops,just because they are cops get waivers for something that I couldn't at a club that I pay dues to,and they don't pay a damn thing ?

I understand your issues. I'm going to add this item to the agenda for the October Board meeting, which will occur just before the Crosshairs seminar.

Still though Dan..

Lon Horiuchi was a LEO sniper also,and he couldn't properly engage a target at 100 yards without killing innocents..So just because they are LEO "snipers" doesn't make them a good shot.

I know all this was enacted before you took the reigns,but it bugs me that once again,cops get special treatment,just because they are cops.

If a round flies over the berm at the 300 and lands in the hippie house,WE are left to clean up the mess while the special people police snipers just move on to another club.

its a good thing you don't own a dog...

i did talk to one of the guys in charge of the 200/300 qual a few weeks ago (the guy with the silver wrx wagon). he said that there was a hole in that roof from what he thought was a .38.

If there was a hole in the roof of the protection at the 85-yard range from "a .38," I seriously doubt that round was sent from the firing line of the 200-yard range. Be a hell of a shot with a .38.

Back
Top Bottom