Non-Resident RI permit.

Anyone know how long on average the state AG takes to approve/deny a permit?

90 days or a little over until you get your denial letter. if it’s a thicker envelope sent registered/certified mail, that’s how you know before you even open it. It will say thank you for applying….. you haven’t demonstrated proper showing of need… life and limb, blah blah blah.

If you sign up for usps informed delivery, you’ll be able to see the denial sticker on the envelope in the photo.

90 days or a little over until you get your denial letter. if it’s a thicker envelope sent registered/certified mail, that’s how you know before you even open it. It will say thank you for applying….. you haven’t demonstrated proper showing of need… life and limb, blah blah blah.

If you sign up for usps informed delivery, you’ll be able to see the denial sticker on the envelope in the photo.
Any confirmation the AG is still using the need criteria?

I think we have six who are interested. Medicine Man, Chappy, Garys, Sweetride, me, and Kalash.

Did I miss anyone?
A Sunday around 10AM would work best. I'm not always available on Sudays (and generally not when Harvard has its monthly USPSA match), so if someone steps forward I can arrange a date. I will need to get it on my schedule, confirm the data/time, and get permission from ElPrez to have more than one guest. $20 to Hopkinton Sportsmens if you can afford it - I find the best way of having any activity welcomed rather than tolerated is to turn in bit of money.

Definitely not looking to crash Rob’s party, but maybe to lighten his load. If East Providence is a more convenient location for some of you, I can do it there. All of “Robs Rules” apply, practice on your own so you have a reasonable assurance you can pass. No charge for my time, but a $20 donation to our clubs Junior Rifle Team would be appreciated as sort of a “range use fee”.

A week night would be preferable for me. The club is indoors, so daylight hours don’t matter.

Definitely not looking to crash Rob’s party, but maybe to lighten his load. If East Providence is a more convenient location for some of you, I can do it there. All of “Robs Rules” apply, practice on your own so you have a reasonable assurance you can pass. No charge for my time, but a $20 donation to our clubs Junior Rifle Team would be appreciated as sort of a “range use fee”.

A week night would be preferable for me. The club is indoors, so daylight hours don’t matter.
Excellent.

Thanks. I hope I don't need 100 practice targets, but it's possible I guess. :D

OTOH, if you don't have any, I can pick them up for the group and we can split the cost.
The club has them in stock, plus I have a personal supply of replacement inserts.

Pick an evening. I'm there.
A Sunday around 10AM would work best. I'm not always available on Sudays (and generally not when Harvard has its monthly USPSA match), so if someone steps forward I can arrange a date. I will need to get it on my schedule, confirm the data/time, and get permission from ElPrez to have more than one guest. $20 to Hopkinton Sportsmens if you can afford it - I find the best way of having any activity welcomed rather than tolerated is to turn in bit of money.
Works for me. Pick a date. We've got 7.

Any confirmation the AG is still using the need criteria?
Yes. They openly say in a denial letter that you could have applied under 11-47-11 but that you “chose” to apply to them under a discretionary licensing provision.

I sincerely hope he gets his license but he will be denied.

Yes. They openly say in a denial letter that you could have applied under 11-47-11 but that you “chose” to apply to them under a discretionary licensing provision.

I sincerely hope he gets his license but he will be denied.
An appropriate response would be that you chose to apply for the only open carry license offered by the state of RI.

Or you could just go through any of the towns that have been operating on a shall issue basis for the past number of years...

If the qual is in East Providence, I’d need to bring a gun to the facility. I’m a Mass resident. How would that work?
Well, if you are planning to apply for a RI LTC, you should at least read the laws, because as part of your app, I think you need to state that you read and understand them.
That notwithstanding, section 11-47-10, basically says a license is not required to transport from home to a range. Assuming of course that you are not a prohibited person. If I recall, a RI LTC is the same regardless of whether you live in RI or another State.

El Prez was most helpful. He's even putting it on the club calendar and reserving the ideal shooting pit for us.

1661977396832.png

It's too complicated to get a group of 10 or so (I have a few people from the club coming), to all agree on a date/time so I just picked a time that works.

Here goes:
  • Hopkinton Sportsmens, Hopkinton MA (www.hsasports.com for directions), 10AM Saturday 9/10
  • You can drive in or walk, but go past the rifle range and take a right
  • There is a black powder event on the rifle range that day. Drive slow, do not park at the rifle range, and be nice to any black power attendee if they speak to you.
  • Free for club members; $20 for non-HSA members (money goes to the club, not me), checks or ca$h.
  • Bring your handgun and at least 30 rounds. I always let people check after the first 5 shots to make sure they are on target, and we can do a restart
  • RI limits you to carrying calibers no larger than that on your carry permit
  • Bring ID so I can verify and sign form. Does not need to be LTC.
  • Targets provided
  • Two attempts max. This is a qualification event, not a coaching/training event.

Last edited:
I will plan on being there also. Can anybody direct me to the application for Pistol Permit for the town of East Greenwich? I just spent 20 minutes on the town websites and located everything under the sun including 2 forms to apply for Private Detective but no pistol permit application. I really don't want to bother Holly just to point me to the application.

Back
Top Bottom