• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-Resident RI permit.

under NYSPRA V Bruen… legally speaking everyone should now be shall issue.
Not sure how that's going to apply to non-residents.

In any event, if the goal is to assert rights/prove a legal point, go through the AG or wherever else desired. If the goal is to get the non-res LTC then perhaps go through the process that has been working for years. Just a thought.

Do you have to take a class and qualify to get a non resident if you have a MA LTC?

Go to Johnston or East Greenwich, they have been issuing on a shall issue basis all along to non-residents who have LTCs in their home states. Some other towns have as well.

Do you have to take a class and qualify to get a non resident if you have a MA LTC?
You do not have to take a class, but you must take the qualification test (shooting) from an NRA or police certified instructor and yes, the AG does accept tests administered in MA by MA residents. You have to take the shooting test even if you are a certified instructor, and cannot take it from yourself.

The AG could possibly stop handling non-resident permits, but it could not legally continue to impose "special need" requirements.

Thanks. I was looking into this before the panicdemic. IIRC, at that time the AG was may issue, and many towns were foot dragging residents and wouldn't even consider non residents. Some had absurd requirements such as having to sign a release so they could view all of an applicants medical records.

You do not have to take a class, but you must take the qualification test (shooting) from an NRA or police certified instructor and yes, the AG does accept tests administered in MA by MA residents. You have to take the shooting test even if you are a certified instructor, and cannot take it from yourself.

The AG could possibly stop handling non-resident permits, but it could not legally continue to impose "special need" requirements.

No class required for RI LTC, resident and non-resident. As @Rob Boudrie pointed out, there is a required shooting qualification. The RI qual consists of an Army L target at 25 yards, 30 shots over 30 min, min score required is 180 195 out of possible 300. The caliber you qualify with is the largest caliber you can carry which is why most people qualify w/ .45ACP. Needs to be signed off by an NRA or police certified instructor. The non-res friendly towns have been listed previously in this thread, not sure why anyone would go via the AG.

Last edited:
No class required for RI LTC, resident and non-resident. As @Rob Boudrie pointed out, there is a required shooting qualification. The RI qual consists of an Army L target at 25 yards, 30 shots over 30 min, min score required is 180 out of possible 300. The caliber you qualify with is the largest caliber you can carry which is why most people qualify w/ .45ACP. Needs to be signed off by an NRA or police certified instructor. The non-res friendly towns have been listed previously in this thread, not sure why anyone would go via the AG.
195, not 180. RI 11-47-15. 3 10 shot strings, 10 minutes each.

As to "why" - AG's license allows open carry; town permits do not. But for residents, town permits bypass waiting periods; AG permits do not.

195, not 180. RI 11-47-15. 3 10 shot strings, 10 minutes each.

As to "why" - AG's license allows open carry; town permits do not. But for residents, town permits bypass waiting periods; AG permits do not.

I stand corrected, it's 195. You can break up the 30 rounds in 30 mins however you like, 3 x 10, 10 x 3, six rounds of five shots is also pretty popular. You can even retrieve or walk out to the target to check your progress. Not sure why any non-res would open carry in RI and certainly don't think going through the AG is worth the added headache/risk when there are towns that have been operating shall issue for a number of years now. Open carry in RI makes about as much sense as open carry in MA which while technically legal, will give you more headaches than it's worth.

I stand corrected, it's 195. You can break up the 30 rounds in 30 mins however you like, 3 x 10, 10 x 3, six rounds of five shots is also pretty popular. You can even retrieve or walk out to the target to check your progress. Not sure why any non-res would open carry in RI and certainly don't think going through the AG is worth the added headache/risk when there are towns that have been operating shall issue for a number of years now. Open carry in RI makes about as much sense as open carry in MA which while technically legal, will give you more headaches than it's worth.
If you read the statute literally it's 3 strings of 10, 10 minutes each - but I have never had anyone take anywhere near 1 minute per shot. I always have the testee take a few shots, clear the gun, and then walk down to check progress - and they get a measured, not estimated, 25 yards (makes it a bit harder). I've been doing the AG mail order since 1992, with one appearance per renewal to pick up the license.

Thanks. I was looking into this before the panicdemic. IIRC, at that time the AG was may issue, and many towns were foot dragging residents and wouldn't even consider non residents. Some had absurd requirements such as having to sign a release so they could view all of an applicants medical records.

This is what’s crazy, NJ you have to sign a medical release. But with over 15 million psychiatrist and psychologist and counselors in the nation, and over 2,000 psychiatric hospitals how in the world are they ever going to find anything other then involuntary committal’s done in a state or federal court system. They aren’t.

It’s not “intentional” open carry that most are concerned with. At least not in my case in RI when I visit. It’s more of an accidental exposure, or partial exposure lasting an extended time frame where another person might not like. By having open carry legal, it reduces exposure to legal consequences. It doesn’t not alleviate them all, but does reduce them.

Also hiking or some other outdoor activity, with reduced clothing, makes TRUE concealed carry extremely difficult. While I do know various state and national parks carry in them is not allowed. Give it time, and in the next few years I see that changing as various locations will be challenged in court.

So, do you have to do the shooting test before applying so it can be included with the application package? Which seems to make sense.

If you look at the latest application packet, one provided by the state AG, dated 6-29-2022. you will see a section of the application for the NRA or Police instructor to enter the qualification scores and sign it.

Also note that if it’s an NRA instructor, you MUST include a copy of their Instructor Certificate showing their expiration date.

If someone sets up a group of 5+ I can do one at Hopkinton on a Saturday. It would show class to make a donation to the club or Comm2A, but I won't be charging. We keep ArmyL targets at the club for RI qualifications.

But, please, don't bring people who need coaching to get through the test. It's not a hard test for someone already at the basically competent level.

so.. 2 questions..

which NRA instructor cert allows you to qualify someone? Basic Pistol Inst or does Basic Home Firearm Safety Inst good enough?

How long is the qualification good for? Can I qualify now, then submit my RI Non-res app next year?

Well. I’m one of the five. Hoping via this thread we can get 4 more. Hopkington is perfect for me.

so.. 2 questions..

which NRA instructor cert allows you to qualify someone? Basic Pistol Inst or does Basic Home Firearm Safety Inst good enough?

How long is the qualification good for? Can I qualify now, then submit my RI Non-res app next year?
The law just says "Pistol instructor certified by the national rifle association or US Revolver Association", and also includes RI police instructors. It appears to be silent as to date of qualification.

I'd be in depending on what Rob can put it together.
I'm not putting anything together. Get a group together and we can workout a time. It ends up taking an afternoon so I want to make sure it is several people. If someone else puts something together I will do my part.

Well. I’m one of the five. Hoping via this thread we can get 4 more. Hopkington is perfect for me.
Count me in as +1.
No class required for RI LTC, resident and non-resident. As @Rob Boudrie pointed out, there is a required shooting qualification. The RI qual consists of an Army L target at 25 yards, 30 shots over 30 min, min score required is 180 195 out of possible 300. The caliber you qualify with is the largest caliber you can carry which is why most people qualify w/ .45ACP. Needs to be signed off by an NRA or police certified instructor. The non-res friendly towns have been listed previously in this thread, not sure why anyone would go via the AG.
I was considering going through the AG to save a couple of bucks. As I understood via this thread, going to Johnston is going to cost an extra $300 of so?

If someone sets up a group of 5+ I can do one at Hopkinton on a Saturday. It would show class to make a donation to the club or Comm2A, but I won't be charging. We keep ArmyL targets at the club for RI qualifications.

But, please, don't bring people who need coaching to get through the test. It's not a hard test for someone already at the basically competent level.
In

Count me in as +1.

I was considering going through the AG to save a couple of bucks. As I understood via this thread, going to Johnston is going to cost an extra $300 of so?
Johnston charges $300 but they're pretty straightforward & timely about it. Not sure what the timing/process is w/ the AG although pre-Bruen it was widely acknowledged as more involved and more likely to get rejected than going through the towns, not sure what it's like now. East Greenwich doesn't charge the $300 but they have a phone lottery system and only take so many applications per month, 20 last time I heard. There are other "green" towns mentioned in this thread but I don't have any knowledge/experience w/ them.

Coventry, North Kingstown, Cranston, and Foster are friendly too.

Exeter is friendly too; however, they take a while because the Town Clerk is the licensing authority and she can’t do a background check.

They have a process to where you use the FBI for a background check and the application has to be signed and notarized by the Town Sargent. Their application can be found online under forms on the towns website.

East Greenwich was great. No direct experience with Johnstown but I plan to gather info about the process.

East Greenwich was great. No direct experience with Johnstown but I plan to gather info about the process.

guessing you mean Johnston?

they’ll probably still try to con applicants out of $300 for a “processing fee”

Back
Top Bottom