• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-Resident RI permit.

guessing you mean Johnston?

they’ll probably still try to con applicants out of $300 for a “processing fee”
My permit is through E.G. they were great but it required a trip to E.G. from MD. The appointments can be challenging to secure as well.

No experience with johnstown but I believe they allow it to be all done via mail. You do pay hefty for the convience.

My permit is through E.G. they were great but it required a trip to E.G. from MD. The appointments can be challenging to secure as well.

No experience with johnstown but I believe they allow it to be all done via mail. You do pay hefty for the convience.
There is no Johnstown in Rhode Island.

There is a town called Johnston and a town called Jamestown.

Johnston has done it through the mail. Jamestown has few data points. They have issued in recent years though.

I did both of mine from Johnston. First one I picked up the application in person, mailed it in, and picked up the LTC in person (did interview over the phone). The second one (they technically don’t renew, you reapply) was done entirely by mail although it was during Covid. They were very responsive both times. The second time I paid the fee, well worth it for me but YMMMV.

EG has a phone lottery which you can end up spending months trying to get through but otherwise I hear they’re pretty responsive too.

There is no Johnstown in Rhode Island.

There is a town called Johnston and a town called Jamestown.

Johnston has done it through the mail. Jamestown has few data points. They have issued in recent years though.
I don't live in RI. The error in spelling the town was based off that. I said I don't know the process for Johnston.

Filed my renewal with the Town of Narragansett last week of July. 1 week later had a nice letter from the chief saying they had the app and it was in process. I requalified at Elite I think it was $40.

I had COVID end of June into July. Really impressive fatigue. I hadn’t shot in a month or more. Went to range with the proctor and my Ruger 1911. Hung my target shot 30 rounds in about 7 minutes. Scored 234. Not nearly my best but more than good enough. Don’t sweat the test. If you are comfortable with your firearm and can see the target you will be fine.

Anyone go through Foster recently?
Foster is perfectly fine. You’ll have absolutely zero issues.

just follow their instructions to a T (duplicate first page stapled to a manilla folder. If you live outside of Rhode Island and have an out-of-state license, you will also have no issues whatsoever.

If you live in Rhode Island but do not have a residence or a place of business in foster they are going to ask why you did not apply to the other licensing authority where you reside or work.

Last edited:
That is why I used the term Ultra Vires.

LAW
adjective
  1. acting or done beyond one's legal power or authority.
    "at one point they argue that the legislation is ultras vires"
adverb
  1. beyond one's legal power or authority.
    "he will take action against any body acting ultra vires"

If someone sets up a group of 5+ I can do one at Hopkinton on a Saturday. It would show class to make a donation to the club or Comm2A, but I won't be charging. We keep ArmyL targets at the club for RI qualifications.

But, please, don't bring people who need coaching to get through the test. It's not a hard test for someone already at the basically competent level.
I’d be happy to handle the set up work, but I have no contacts at Hopkinton.

Send me a PM with your name and email. I’ll assemble a list and work with Rob to schedule. Does anyone have any connection to Hopkinton to get permission to host the qual?
I will take care of the Hopkinton thing. What I will be needing is permission from ElPrez to have more than one guest at a time - should be straightforward since only one person will be shooting at a time. My services are donated for the cause, however, I think a small donation $20ish or per person to the club would be good form (only if you can afford it). I can supply targets, but will not provide the gun or ammo (30 rounds).

I am also expecting persons to signup only if they know they are reasonably certain to pass. I am not going to be running multiple tries coaching people through until they get it, though if someone blows it a second attempt is not out of the question.

I'm pretty sure I can pass, but I'll bring an extra 30 rounds... just in case. [rofl]

I will take care of the Hopkinton thing. What I will be needing is permission from ElPrez to have more than one guest at a time - should be straightforward since only one person will be shooting at a time. My services are donated for the cause, however, I think a small donation $20ish or per person to the club would be good form (only if you can afford it). I can supply targets, but will not provide the gun or ammo (30 rounds).

I am also expecting persons to signup only if they know they are reasonably certain to pass. I am not going to be running multiple tries coaching people through until they get it, though if someone blows it a second attempt is not out of the question.

Back
Top Bottom