• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

non-resident permit in MA

My brother lives in Nashua, but spends his work week in Mass working for a NH company. He'd like to get an MA non-resident carry permit. So, knowing that in-state permits are adjudicated by the CoP in the town in which you reside, who is the arbiter for a non-resident? Would his application likely be successful, given that he has nothing in his record at all, and that his reason for the application is solely for personal protection?

My brother lives in Nashua, but spends his work week in Mass working for a NH company. He'd like to get an MA non-resident carry permit. So, knowing that in-state permits are adjudicated by the CoP in the town in which you reside, who is the arbiter for a non-resident? Would his application likely be successful, given that he has nothing in his record at all, and that his reason for the application is solely for personal protection?
Firearms Records Bureau. It will say issued by Mass State Police.

Myself and two other people I know all got unrestricted, but we were all "washed" - i.e., had unrestricted MA licenses previously - and had some reason we could articulate on the application.

The in-person visit/interview in Chelsea sucks, though, but at least it's no longer required every year. It's also lame it's $100 per year.

Also note he will need to get his NH P&R if he doesn't have it already. It should be very fast and a mere formality, but it is a prerequisite.

Firearms Records Bureau. It will say issued by Mass State Police.

Myself and two other people I know all got unrestricted, but we were all "washed" - i.e., had unrestricted MA licenses previously - and had some reason we could articulate on the application.

The in-person visit/interview in Chelsea sucks, though, but at least it's no longer required every year. It's also lame it's $100 per year.

Also note he will need to get his NH P&R if he doesn't have it already. It should be very fast and a mere formality, but it is a prerequisite.
Yes, I had to go thru the same process - in-person interview, then write an additional letter, then wait another 6 (?) weeks (even though they said it would be 90 days). My main reasons in my letter were that I had an unrestricted license since the mid-80's and all the other stuff about family, doctors and travel in MA.

I was very surprised it worked :)

Yes, I had to go thru the same process - in-person interview, then write an additional letter, then wait another 6 (?) weeks (even though they said it would be 90 days). My main reasons in my letter were that I had an unrestricted license since the mid-80's and all the other stuff about family, doctors and travel in MA.

I was very surprised it worked :)
Six weeks is lightning speed. My first one took over four months to be issued. I now apply five months before expiration.

There is no grace period, either.

Six weeks is lightning speed. My first one took over four months to be issued. I now apply five months before expiration.

There is no grace period, either.
Oh, yeah, the 6 weeks was *after* the in-person interview (when the letter had to be *evaluated* by a supervisor). I think it was 5-6 months to get in the first time. And, yes, the interviewer did mention to re-apply early... He actually seemed liked a nice guy.

Btw, 'Die Hard' is on right now on AMC. lol

FYI... the MA non res ltc renewal process is way, way behind this year. Normal turn around was always dang slow at 4 months +

PSA = This year, start your renewal process at least 6 months prior for the non in person interview renewal.

In person renewal process start date???

..... Maybe start the next year's renewal, literally the day after you do your current renewal ....

:-/

Last edited:
Had my interview today. Sounds like the same process. Would like to see a draft of a letter from someone as I'm not the most articulate. Also held my Mass LTC since the 80's. Any help would be appreciated.

I mailed mine in September, I called today just to ask if they received it, and they told me to go to home depot, buy a bag of sand, and pound on it until further notice. I turn into a pumpkin on Jan 26th. Am I looking at like March? Is there anyway to determine if they just took the 100 dollars and threw away the application? Last year it was 5 months, So I was late anyway, but maybe I should start my 2023 this week and have it ready.

Back
Top Bottom